Treasure value

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
poundcoin

Treasure value

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:06 am

I was wondering if you hand your treasure in and a museum is interested they have to give you the going rate but how do you know what the going rate is ?

slinky

Re: Treasure value

Post by slinky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 am

It goes to a committee to be valued, they have experts from some of the leading auction houses on the committee (I believe), and they have to all agree on the valuation which means sometimes it can be pushed back to the next meeting if they have not come to an agreement!
you can also contest the valuation given if you do not think its fair, by getting and then submitting an Independent valuation or two....... ;)
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

poundcoin

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 am

Might it be worth getting some valuations on these then ??

slinky

Post by slinky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:51 am

Hell yes mate ::g lovely little finds, remember though you only have a certain amount of time before you are legally required to hand them over/ notify your FLO I think it's 14 days but please check that as I may be wrong on the length ..... :-/

Fantastic little find!!!! :D ::g

Edit- can we see the reverse.....? Cheers for sharing ::g

poundcoin

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 am

I'm in a club so she will be at our next meeting was gonna hand them in then

slinky

Post by slinky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:57 am

poundcoin wrote:I'm in a club so she will be at our next meeting was gonna hand them in then
Cool ::g
Get a independent valuation and give it to your FLO at the same time so they can submit it all together to the treasure committee, it wont hurt.....
still hope you get them handed back to you, as they are lovely ::g ::g

poundcoin

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:58 am

I know there is one in British museum but it's just one and not has good as these

slinky

Post by slinky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 am

poundcoin wrote:I know there is one in British museum but it's just one and not has good as these
Yes to be fair they do look stunning :D ::g ::g
As I say get a valuation and give it to your FLO to submit with them :D

Congrats on the find ::g

poundcoin

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 am

Any suggestions where I could get them valued mate ::g

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:38 am

Nice cufflinks bud,its only the coroner that can decide if they are treasure and he will be at the end of a long line of processes,if they are classed as treasure then the tvc will come to a price but this will be months after the coroners inquest,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:01 am

The TVC has been one of the biggest problems in the detecting world in recent years and often takes a long time to get through the system,your item look very nice and in great condition but this is the problem what you think they are worth and what the TVC values them at are poles apart and i mean poles apart ;;z You can appeal and supply a independant valuation from say a auction house or expert but they may up the price a little,but it would be wise not too build your hopes up and expect a valuation to retire on because it aint going to happen.

The TVC over the years have handed out some stupidly low valuation on some stunning finds and as a result of people being 'cheated' out of a fair valuation they tend to be on the 'cautious' side of handing items in.

These are just my observations and my personal thoughts,and we do in the UK have a system that needs to be complied with,but like most systems they are not 100% perfect and not everyone complies with it ::g
Trident11 http://www.hideones.info TDI Pro

wilwxm

Post by wilwxm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:19 am

Lovely finds and look in lovely condition, can anyone give an approx date and more if possible thanks.

poundcoin

Post by poundcoin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am

King Charles 2nd 1662 to commerate his wedding to Mary of brazenga Portugal ::g

geoman

Post by geoman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:02 am

Poundcoin there is some confusion creeping into the thread. Firstly you have 14 days to report your find as potential treasure which is the law. You have clearly realised that the cuff links are Treasure so the 14 day rule clock has started. The Treasure Act clearly states that YOU must report the find to the Coroner for the district in which the Treasure was found within the 14 days required. You can then by all means hand the find to the FLO at your next meeting and ask them to give you a Treasure receipt. Failure to report the find to the Coroner within the 14 days could result in a reduced reward for non compliance with the terms of the Act.

As to valuation it is a waste of time to give them to the FLO as all they will do is pass the item onto the BM at some point and paper work can go astray. You need to submit valuations direct to the TVC should your item proceed to valuation and not be disclaimed. You will be kept up to speed on progress by letter and you will be informed when the item is going to be valued following reports and so on and have plenty of time to put your points in writing. Challenge is built into the system to make it as fair as possible which is a far cry from the system in many of our EU partners for example where a reward may be paid as a percentage of the value or confiscated because detecting is illegal. Many may moan about our system, but i challenge anyone to show me a better one.

The procedure can be long winded and can be delayed even more if valuations are submitted without proper reasoned argument why the finders valuer considers the item to be worth X because of this reason and that reason. Too often finders get valuations from club members, local antique dealer or even the bloke in the pub who are unable to back up their valuation with evidence the TVC can consider. All that the TVC will do when faced with uncorroborated valuations is delay the process and ask the finder and valuer for more details for the next meeting. The TVC valuation is not an offer it is the figure arrived at by consensus of opinion from the details supplied by expert valuers to the TVC members.

As to the accuracy of valuations given by the TVC i can only add that there are many opinions of what an item is worth even if it is not one that is classed as Treasure. Every dealer for non treasure items has their own idea of worth and many will try and buy items at the lowest price they can get away with which is a fact of life as these people are trying to make a profit. However Treasure items are valued on an expected market value based on a figure that could be expected to be achieved at auction between a willing buyer and a willing seller which is a very different figure that could be expected from a dealer who is looking to make a profit. An auction house makes its profit from commissions paid by the seller and buyer and so it is in their interest to get the highest price whereas a TVC valuation does not have any commission reduction taken into account when arriving at a valuation so it will be higher than an auction value with fees deducted.

Return to “Value Your finds”