Coins value

Please posts topics here related to Valuing your metal detector finds
Post Reply
dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 am

Hi
I am a bit confused. I was looking for the value of a coin (EF) and I found all sorts of prices (from £30 (ebay) to £900 (coin seller). Do you know how to assess the real value of a coin?
Thanks



User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10757
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Coins value

Post by Dave8472 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am

Hi, that is a bit of a loaded question to be honest, first grading plays a big part, most people over grade a coin and there starts the problem.

Secondly book prices are quoted based on previous auction sales. There is also dealers adding on their running costs and are happy to have stock sitting there for years slowly going up in value for the most on the off chance someone will pay a higher advertised price.

Ebay is a better reflection of real life sales, all supply and demand. As we know also only needs two people wanting the same coin and it will fetch more.

When valuing coin finds for our club, for the farmer splits I always quote Spink prices so there is a documented record.

Just a note on eBay, look at the completed sales rather than what is offered, some are on there for crazy prices. Some on line auction sites also provide old sale records.

Hope this gives you an insight to the coin values

PS be careful on eBay loads of fake ancient coins on there

Dave ):=
Image

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:02 am

Dave8472 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am
Hi, that is a bit of a loaded question to be honest, first grading plays a big part, most people over grade a coin and there starts the problem.

Secondly book prices are quoted based on previous auction sales. There is also dealers adding on their running costs and are happy to have stock sitting there for years slowly going up in value for the most on the off chance someone will pay a higher advertised price.

Ebay is a better reflection of real life sales, all supply and demand. As we know also only needs two people wanting the same coin and it will fetch more.

When valuing coin finds for our club, for the farmer splits I always quote Spink prices so there is a documented record.

Just a note on eBay, look at the completed sales rather than what is offered, some are on there for crazy prices. Some on line auction sites also provide old sale records.

Hope this gives you an insight to the coin values

Dave ):=
Thank you Dave. That helps a lot.

User avatar
amphora
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Coins value

Post by amphora » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Difficult. Even if you buy a book the gold rises and that gold coin becomes worth more.
Buy a gold coin now. If crisis stay's you can make a slight profit. If economics turn better gold prices takes a dive and you loose.
If crisis stays many will not have budget for collecting. If economics is good people quicker start to collect for fun because they have budget.
Economics.

Having a slightly more rare coin. They dive up a ship and find 5000 of that type, and gone is your investment.
Supply and demand.

Important is the position of the "seller" and "buyer". If buyer is a seller too he will give you the lowest price for it. If he is a collecting seller he wil pay maximum.
Sales tactics.

No one sell's "that one rare coin" alone. You put one up for say 100. If that nice price get's attention ten others think about selling for a nice profit for them at 90 to beat you for a quick sale, and 80, and if another five more sellers turn up then for even 70 or 60. And you won't ever sell for 100 anymore, no matter what the catalogue says.
Sales tactics.

ONCE LONG AGO when i started detecting the most regular coins i found sold common for 10 easily and up to 50 or more.
After that 2008 crisis came. People got time and needed money. Started detecting to find coins to sell.
Nowaday's there are that many that you must be happy to sell those same for 3, and the specials up to 20 max.
Supply and demand.

Eventually it's what one gives for it at that moment. Catalogue prices are only indicative.
Last edited by amphora on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck hunting.

User avatar
amphora
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Coins value

Post by amphora » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:57 pm

amphora wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm
Catalogue prices are only indicative.
Ow, and for insurance values.
Good luck hunting.

User avatar
Me and my boy
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Coins value

Post by Me and my boy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Dave8472 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am
Hi, that is a bit of a loaded question to be honest, first grading plays a big part, most people over grade a coin and there starts the problem.

Secondly book prices are quoted based on previous auction sales. There is also dealers adding on their running costs and are happy to have stock sitting there for years slowly going up in value for the most on the off chance someone will pay a higher advertised price.

Ebay is a better reflection of real life sales, all supply and demand. As we know also only needs two people wanting the same coin and it will fetch more.

When valuing coin finds for our club, for the farmer splits I always quote Spink prices so there is a documented record.

Just a note on eBay, look at the completed sales rather than what is offered, some are on there for crazy prices. Some on line auction sites also provide old sale records.

Hope this gives you an insight to the coin values

PS be careful on eBay loads of fake ancient coins on there

Dave ):=
Great answer, very well put.
2018 hammies. = 100 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 am

amphora wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm
Difficult. Even if you buy a book the gold rises and that gold coin becomes worth more.
Buy a gold coin now. If crisis stay's you can make a slight profit. If economics turn better gold prices takes a dive and you loose.
If crisis stays many will not have budget for collecting. If economics is good people quicker start to collect for fun because they have budget.
Economics.

Having a slightly more rare coin. They dive up a ship and find 5000 of that type, and gone is your investment.
Supply and demand.

Important is the position of the "seller" and "buyer". If buyer is a seller too he will give you the lowest price for it. If he is a collecting seller he wil pay maximum.
Sales tactics.

No one sell's "that one rare coin" alone. You put one up for say 100. If that nice price get's attention ten others think about selling for a nice profit for them at 90 to beat you for a quick sale, and 80, and if another five more sellers turn up then for even 70 or 60. And you won't ever sell for 100 anymore, no matter what the catalogue says.
Sales tactics.

ONCE LONG AGO when i started detecting the most regular coins i found sold common for 10 easily and up to 50 or more.
After that 2008 crisis came. People got time and needed money. Started detecting to find coins to sell.
Nowaday's there are that many that you must be happy to sell those same for 3, and the specials up to 20 max.
Supply and demand.

Eventually it's what one gives for it at that moment. Catalogue prices are only indicative.
That's a wise analysis, things are clearer now. and on top of that add so many "replica" sold for genuine at 1.99....
Thank you

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Coins value

Post by JBM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am

Its a case of supply and demand.

All these references to values can be taken purely as just guide line values.

There are also other hidden hurdles when selling really valuable coins.

Coins leaving the country need export licenses.

There is also slabbing in the USA which can be a hurdle to clear.

Sometimes a coin can be so rare that even a copper one can be more valuable than Gold and Silver coinage.

With so many people detecting these days compared with 30 years back, more coins are surfacing which can devalue those already in private hands.

On a lighter note, dont give up the day job.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Junior
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:53 pm
Has thanked: 127 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Coins value

Post by Junior » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

Story going around our way a dealer bought a hammie for £800 and sold at auction for I believe £36 k. Did he know or woz it just luck ???, Another one a women went in to another dealer and said I've got my dead husbands 1/2 gold sov s to sell. He gave her a price. As luck would have it she went to another dealer and said the same and woz told they are full gold sov s. Beware. Check stuff out. Get maybe a second or third option???,

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 am

Junior wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am
Story going around our way a dealer bought a hammie for £800 and sold at auction for I believe £36 k. Did he know or woz it just luck ???, Another one a women went in to another dealer and said I've got my dead husbands 1/2 gold sov s to sell. He gave her a price. As luck would have it she went to another dealer and said the same and woz told they are full gold sov s. Beware. Check stuff out. Get maybe a second or third option???,
I was not planning to sell anyway, I am generally curious of the value of the coin that I find.

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:29 am

JBM wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 am
Its a case of supply and demand.

All these references to values can be taken purely as just guide line values.

There are also other hidden hurdles when selling really valuable coins.

Coins leaving the country need export licenses.

There is also slabbing in the USA which can be a hurdle to clear.

Sometimes a coin can be so rare that even a copper one can be more valuable than Gold and Silver coinage.

With so many people detecting these days compared with 30 years back, more coins are surfacing which can devalue those already in private hands.

On a lighter note, dont give up the day job.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
Anyone of us sometime think to give up the day job when one see a coin sold for three zeros prices :-) :-)

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Coins value

Post by JBM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am

Depending on the finders age, but 4 zeros sounds about right.

Seriously its a minefield out there with regards coins.

Artifacts are another matter. ::g Jerry.

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 am

JBM wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am
Depending on the finders age, but 4 zeros sounds about right.

Seriously its a minefield out there with regards coins.

Artifacts are another matter. ::g Jerry.
Why? Are artefact more stable in prices?

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Coins value

Post by JBM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am

Coins are so much easier to copy and even the experts sometimes get caught out by very realistic copies. :(

deusdave
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:02 pm
Location: Staffordshire.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Coins value

Post by deusdave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

Interesting thread,btw If you want to see what something is selling for on ebay click ''ADVANCED'' next to the blue search tab on the top RHS of your home page.

Type in what you want to seach where it says''Enter keywords or item number''.

click one of the box's below where it says ''Search including
Title and description
Completed listings
Sold listings

Then hit search,items with the price in green next to them means they sold ::g

Hope that helps, HH people.

Dave. :)

dep1699
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coins value

Post by dep1699 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:06 am

deusdave wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am
Interesting thread,btw If you want to see what something is selling for on ebay click ''ADVANCED'' next to the blue search tab on the top RHS of your home page.

Type in what you want to seach where it says''Enter keywords or item number''.

click one of the box's below where it says ''Search including
Title and description
Completed listings
Sold listings

Then hit search,items with the price in green next to them means they sold ::g

Hope that helps, HH people.

Dave. :)
Great! I'll try that!

User avatar
amphora
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:33 pm
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Coins value

Post by amphora » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 am

dep1699 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:29 am
Anyone of us sometime think to give up the day job when one see a coin sold for three zeros prices :-) :-)
Yeah. But as an entrepreneur for many years i can tell you that selling a coin at three zero's with a nice profit isn't that difficult al all. Doing it dayly each week of the month the whole year to earn a decent income .... then it get's very hard.

This is the trap for many who start a business.
Good luck hunting.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1004 times
Been thanked: 813 times

Re: Coins value

Post by oldartefact » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Lets say that you see a coin in the Dealers window for £1000 on the High street... then the following values apply

Value of Coin when in the ground .. £0
Value of Coin as its dug - sold to a fellow detectorist - £100 if you are very very lucky.
Coin taken home and put up on ebay ... possibly with a fair wind £200-£300 (dont forget the sellers fee!).
Coin sold to the high street dealer ... probably £300 ish, if he/she really likes it.
Coin sold at Auction ... possibly £300 - £400 (dont forget the Auctioneers fee and VAT)..

The insurance value would be £1,000 to reflect how much the coin would sell for on the high street .... so what is the value? its all about where and when... Hope that helps.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7055
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1004 times
Been thanked: 813 times

Re: Coins value

Post by oldartefact » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:50 pm

dep1699 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 am
JBM wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am
Depending on the finders age, but 4 zeros sounds about right.

Seriously its a minefield out there with regards coins.

Artifacts are another matter. ::g Jerry.
Why? Are artefact more stable in prices?
Coins are often acquired for investment purposes, so values can be seriously affected by demand, if investors believe that coins are a good investment, prices will increase, but if confidence is lost, or fashion changes there are likely to be significant reductions in value.
Most artefacts dont have the same investment appeal as coins, so one would expect the prices to be less susceptible to market trends... hence year on year prices would be more stable relative to coins.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: Coins value

Post by JBM » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Coins can be a minefield and understandably dealers and prospective purchasers need to make sure their investment is secure.

I have been down this road including export licensing to enable a coin to be legally removed from the UK.

It can be a long drawn out affair especially when talking about many thousands of £`s.

The best thing being if you ever find such a coin or artifact is to get it insured and out of the house immediately.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Post Reply

Return to “Value Your finds”