The hoard that keeps on giving - very, very slowly indeed!

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
fred

The hoard that keeps on giving - very, very slowly indeed!

Post by fred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Myself and my detecting partner currently have a small Roman hoard crawling its way through the Treasure process. It was well scattered, probably by the ploughing which was last done there about 50 years ago, and it took about six months to recover as most of the signals were tiny and deep. The hoard comprises of one gold solidus and eleven silver siliquae, two of which are large fragments. As you would expect we have done the location to death and positive signal are extremely scare although we still make the occasional sortie to the site to look for the missing 19,988 coins.

On Thursday we went back there again to see if the saturated ground would help reveal anything new. We were comparing the signals from my CTX and my mate's Deus as we often do when the detecting is slow. I got a small but very positive signal that I immediately thought was a 'could be' so I called over my mate to have a swing over it. He said that it had lots of iron in it so we agreed to differ and dug it together anyway. It turned out to be a very small slither from the edge of a siliqua about four or five inches down (the straightish edge is about 13mm long).

I was fairly sure that it was the missing bit from one of the broken coins that we had already handed in and later some Photoshop jiggery pokery proved that to be the case. Despite most of the legend having been clipped off the FLO had identified the original fragment as a VIRTUS RO-MANORUM type of Theodosius I. The new bit has the word VIRTUS clearly visible on it so that probably confirms his ID (apologies for the small and fuzzy pictures).

Later when talking to the farmer about it she asked whether it had any value. All I could really claim was that it might make the difference between rounding up and down if the estimate came to an odd 50p. :D Anyway we are still pleased to have found it and it certainly told us something about the relative performance of the detectors, although we are no quite sure exactly what! ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oxgirl36

Re: The hoard that keeps on giving - very, very slowly indeed!

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Great post Fred. No idea how you both have so much patience. It must be bordering on painful now to go back so many times listening for a whispered signal. Or maybe it just would be for me :P and you have more of a patient nature.

Brilliant job and I hope you get a response from the treasure process soon. Keep us updated ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Well done Fred, if it is in fact a hoard, and we can then assume it was all buried together, how far apart now has the hoard spread in distance due to plowing one coin from another? ::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Saki

Post by Saki » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Very nice Fred. And highlights the good insight you had to photo them all. Especially to prove your latest find is part of a previous "bit".
Well done you. Patience and perseverance pays :D ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

A great feeling finding my first hammie
I'm actually still rubbing it ...

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Well done, and it goes to show how keeping good records, while sometimes tedious, can pay dividends when you need them.

Hope you get to find more.
John

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:20 pm
Well done Fred, if it is in fact a hoard, and we can then assume it was all buried together, how far apart now has the hoard spread in distance due to plowing one coin from another? ::g

BM [:)
There was a group of 3 or 4 in a small area towards the bottom of a steep slope and the rest were in a 20 yards long line down the slope about 40 yards away. Despite the separation they are a classic composition and size for a late Roman hoard and were probably the life savings of a poor farmer or worker. Even if there were two lots lost or deposited at about the same time they would still both count as treasure. ::g

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:18 pm
Great post Fred. No idea how you both have so much patience. It must be bordering on painful now to go back so many times listening for a whispered signal. Or maybe it just would be for me :P and you have more of a patient nature.
It probably just shows a woeful lack of imagination on my part! :D Actually it is also the reason that I am always somewhat sceptical when people say that they have been over a field twice and it's now worked out. We generally find that the best stuff usually comes out once the surface dross has been cleared and we are chasing the whispers. My Avatar was found right in the middle of a bit of ground 10m x 20m that we had detected on dozens of times until it became very quiet indeed). ::g

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm

A terrific find Fred,do you think something else could be in the area but possibly slightly deeper ?? the gold solidus is a 'holy grail' find in my mind,stunning find for sure and as a gold coin was found then others could be in the area.

Well pleased for you and your detecting buddy.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Mega B wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm
A terrific find Fred,do you think something else could be in the area but possibly slightly deeper ?? the gold solidus is a 'holy grail' find in my mind,stunning find for sure and as a gold coin was found then others could be in the area.

Well pleased for you and your detecting buddy.
That is exactly why we keep returning. Unfortunately to no avail so far. :D The soil further up the slope is only a foot deep so we can eventually hope to clear that. Towards the bottom it is much deeper and there isn't a hope in hell that it will be ploughed again anytime soon. All that we can do is try and punch as deeply as possible with our machines and hope.

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Great patience & detecting there Fred,
Good luck for more soon.
Clint ::g

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:11 pm

Nice post and find there Fred hope the rest come up ::g
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm

I would check the top of the hill with a deep seeking machine Fred. The absence of bronze makes it more likely buried rather than a purse loss , especially with a solidus found.

Scenario 1....The top of the pot (vessel)was broken off during ploughing and the coins lain in the subsoil.

Scenario 2.... Soil was pulled down on the slope to give extra depth for cultivation.

Scenario 3... All of the above combined,the siliqua rich soil was dragged down the hill.

Personally i think that is where the mother load will be,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 am

coal digger wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 pm
I would check the top of the hill with a deep seeking machine Fred. The absence of bronze makes it more likely buried rather than a purse loss , especially with a solidus found.

Scenario 1....The top of the pot (vessel)was broken off during ploughing and the coins lain in the subsoil.

Scenario 2.... Soil was pulled down on the slope to give extra depth for cultivation.

Scenario 3... All of the above combined,the siliqua rich soil was dragged down the hill.

Personally i think that is where the mother load will be,cd ::g
Thanks. We had come to more or less the same scenarios as you have set out and we have been trying really, really hard to find more, honestly! :D :D :D

ossie

Post by ossie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm

I have had a similar small silver hoard,four Siliqua and two Milliarense.
No Solidus for me but one of the Milliarense was super rare which sort of makes up for it i suppose lol.
They were spread forty meters although three came within five metres,easy to go back to the exact spot as i marked it with some tokens.
Been going back there now three times as it gets ploughed every year but apart from one more Siliqua from the forty metre mark,nothing else has turned up but i am convinced there is a pot with heaps more.
It literally is alongside a main Roman road ,other than this the field is very slow ,except for the odd early bronze.
Just got to keep plodding along Fred. ::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:29 pm

ossie wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 pm
I have had a similar small silver hoard,four Siliqua and two Milliarense.
No Solidus for me but one of the Milliarense was super rare which sort of makes up for it i suppose lol.
They were spread forty meters although three came within five metres,easy to go back to the exact spot as i marked it with some tokens.
Been going back there now three times as it gets ploughed every year but apart from one more Siliqua from the forty metre mark,nothing else has turned up but i am convinced there is a pot with heaps more.
It literally is alongside a main Roman road ,other than this the field is very slow ,except for the odd early bronze.
Just got to keep plodding along Fred. ::g
Well done. ::g I'm convinced about my pot too, we just can't find the bloody thing! :D I don't think that I have ever even seen a Milliarense that was found .

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds”