Reporting to the Portable Antiquities Scheme

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
MrGinger

Reporting to the Portable Antiquities Scheme

Post by MrGinger » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, this isn't me letting people know of my first hoard find, I'm new to the hobby and was hoping for some friendly advise...

Should I be reporting any coin that I find over 300 years old to the Portable Antiquities Scheme or only coins that have some monetary value?

I recently found a couple of coins; 1667 Constables of Taunton Penny and a 1659 City of Cork Penny. Whilst I am super chuffed with these two amazing finds (I am new to this so anything I find is pretty amazing at this point =P~) I'm not sure if I would be a bit over enthusiastic with getting in touch with my local FLO or not.

Is this the kind of thing they want to hear about? or do they just want the juicy stuff?

Any advice would be gratefully received ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Re: Reporting to the Portable Antiquities Scheme

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Different FLOs will have different criteria on what they consider worthy of recording. However, I'd be surprised if yours wasn't interested in recording any coin or artefact over 300 years old, so your finds are definitely worth offering for recording.

I'd drop him/her an email, attaching a couple of good pics, and see what they say ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I would be showing your FLO anything that you think they may be interested, they'll tell you what bits they want to record, but remember that you MUST have the agreement of your landowner, you can potentially get into deep water if you record without their consent.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 pm
I would be showing your FLO anything that you think they may be interested, they'll tell you what bits they want to record, but remember that you MUST have the agreement of your landowner, you can potentially get into deep water if you record without their consent.
Good point! ::g

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Have a look on the database for your county to get a feel for what they are recording.

My landowners think it is really good that I am recording and excited by the history.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 47 Hammered

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:45 pm

What may seem insignificant can be of local, regional or national importance (I have the hat trick!). At least show them to the FLO and let them decide. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello MrGinger ::g Welcome aboard the forum. ::g
Good advice already received the on the subject and you'll find plenty of other advice, opinions and reports throughout the sub-forum headings (in the blue panel over there) l;/ ::g

For new members of the forum, my suggested starter for ten, is to familiarise yourself with the help available in the recently updated Forum Guide (link provided below)::g

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the forum.Forum Guide Here

Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

MrGinger

Post by MrGinger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, especially about letting the landowner know before informing the FLO. That may have saved be getting into a spot of bother!

pengles

Post by pengles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 pm

MrGinger, my FLO will record everything before 1700. I normally wait for about six months worth, sift through everything and take them to the museum where he is based all at once. Yes, it is important that you keep the landowners informed and thus, hopefully, on side. After all, it is their property you are having recorded. I also make clear to them that although it is being recorded on the Portable Antiques Scheme database, nobody has access to the exact find location apart from bona fide archaeologists.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

crldnll

Post by crldnll » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Definitely worth taking the whole finds bag to them. The Lincolnshire Flo (Adam Daubney) is brilliant - he'll happily take his time sifting through anything I find, looking at each object and sorting into either 'recordable' or 'take back home' piles! Theres always the 'this is a stone, not a neolithic tool' & 'drainpipe not roman roof tile' piles too... probably the biggest of the lot!

The things he's spotted that I'd missed was scary and quickly made me realise the importance! I remember when I first started - a small piece of lead was instantly Id'd as part of a pilgrims badge. Also a piece 'unidentifiable metal', turned out to be a battered piece of a Saxon brooch - only one of 2 recorded in this area - which he was absolutely fascinated about.

You learn so much from them too - different things to look out for - all of this helps for quicker identification on the field, which equally means you realise the possible importance of a find (I'm talking the little chunks of Bronze casting waste - not the gold coins) whilst your out on the field.

::g

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds”