Frome Hoard - Somerset

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
mrix
Founder

Frome Hoard - Somerset

Post by mrix » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 am

Somerset Hoard Found in Frome

An ancient crock has just been found containing the largest Roman coin hoard ever found in Britain, is was discovered in a Somerset field " Frome " by a metal detector enthusiast.
For over 20 years Dave Crisp has been out and about with his metal detector seeking buried treasure, little did he know that in a remote field outside Frome his treasure-hunting would lead him to uncovering one of the most significant hoards of Roman coins ever found.

What is to be known as "the Frome Hoard" of more than 50,000 coins had not been disturbed for 1,800 years.
The third century coins are thought to be worth up to £250,000, were found in a large, well-preserved pot – a container that would normally be used for storing food.

Dave, secretary of the Trowbridge Metal Detecting Club, said: "I have been metal detecting since 1988 and this hoard is the most exciting and important find that I have ever made."

Realising he had found something important, Dave left the hoard where it was and notified Somerset County Council's Portable Antiquities Scheme. Archaeologists then set about the delicate task of excavating the pot and its contents,the hoard was then taken to the British Museum, so the coins could be cleaned and recorded.

"Leaving it in the ground for the archaeologists to excavate was a very hard decision to take, but as it had been there for 1,800 years, I thought a few days more would not hurt," Dave said.

"His family thought he was mad to walk away and leave it."

The precise site of the discovery has not been disclosed and the landowner has been named only as Geoff. He said: "I have always loved history but I never expected anything as important, exciting or old as this to be found on my land."

The bronze coins range from the mid to late third century and include some unusual finds, including coins of the British usurper Carausius.
Somerset County Council is keen for the remarkable find to ultimately stay in the county and possibly become a major attraction at the new Museum of Somerset.
Discussions are under way between Somerset County Council's Heritage Service and the British Museum towards that goal.

Tony Williams, coroner for Somerset, will hold an inquest on Thursday, July 22, to rule on whether it qualifies as a treasure trove.

One of the most important aspects of the hoard is that it contains a large group of coins of Carausius, who ruled Britain independently from AD 286 to AD 293 and was the first Roman emperor to strike coins in Britain.

A selection of coins from the hoard will be on display in Gallery 68 at the British Museum from Thursday, July 22, until mid-August.
The Finders Club website here ---> Trowbridge Metal Detecting Club

furriner

Re: Somerset Hoard

Post by furriner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 am

In a word 'wow'! A terrific find and once again, demonstrating how professional the vast majority of detectorists actually are.

He's not the messiah - he's a very naughty boy

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 am

UKDFD - The database for Detectorists - please upload your finds

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdff/index.php

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:36 am

More info from BBC News... cheers for the heads up Jayreef :)

Huge Roman coin find for hobbyist

One of the largest ever finds of Roman coins in Britain has been made by a man using a metal detector.

The hoard of more than 52,000 coins dated from the third century AD and was found buried in a field near Frome in Somerset.

The coins were found in a huge jar just over a foot (0.3m) below the surface by Dave Crisp, from Devizes in Wiltshire.

"I have made many finds over the years, but this is my first major coin hoard," he said.

After his metal detector gave a "funny signal
", Mr Crisp says he dug down 14 inches before he found what had caused it.

"I put my hand in, pulled out a bit of clay and there was a little Radial, a little bronze Roman coin. Very, very small, about the size of my fingernail."

Mr Crisp reported the find to the authorities, allowing archaeologists to excavate the site.

Offering to gods
Since the discovery in late April, experts from the Portable Antiquities Scheme at the British Museum have been working through the find.

Dave Crisp explains how he discovered the coin hoard
The coins were all contained in a single clay pot. Although it only measured 18" (0.45m) across, the coins were packed inside and would have weighed an estimated 160kg.

"I don't believe myself that this is a hoard of coins intended for recovery," says Sam Moorhead from the Portable Antiquities Scheme.

"I think what you could see is a community of people who are actually making offerings and they are each pouring in their own contribution to a communal ritual votive offering to the gods."

It is estimated the coins were worth about four years' pay for a legionary soldier.

"Because Mr Crisp resisted the temptation to dig up the coins, it has allowed archaeologists from Somerset County Council to carefully excavate the pot and its contents," said Anna Booth, local finds liaison officer.

Somerset County Council Heritage Service now hope the coroner will declare the find as treasure. That would allow the Museum of Somerset to acquire the coins at market value with the reward shared by Mr Crisp and the land owner.

The story of the excavation will be told in a new BBC Two archaeology series, Digging for Britain, presented by Dr Alice Roberts and made by 360production, to be broadcast in August.

galaxion

Post by galaxion » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:51 am

wooop wooop well done wat a cracking find gobsmacked cum,s to mind and to leave it in situ for a few days till flo etc bet he didnt kip one bit B-) =D> =D> B-) =D>
garrett ace 250 +6.5x9 and 9.5x12 coils

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:02 am

Keerching !!!!

Central Empire

The coins in the hoard from Central Empire

Emperor Reign Quantity
Valerian & Gallienus (joint reign) 253-60 46
Gallienus (sole reign) 260-8 6,091
Salonina (wife of Gallienus) 260-8 404
Claudius II 268-70 5,421
Divus Claudius 270-1 1,227
Quintillus 270 333
Aurelian 270-5 266
Severina (wife of Aurelian) 270-5 13
Tacitus 275-6 252
Florian 276 10
Probus 276-82 619
Carus 282-3 8
Divus Carus 283 5
Magnia Urbica (wife of Carus) 282-3 2
Carinus 282-5 19
Numerian 283-4 12
Diocletian 285-305 38
Maximian 286-305 22
Total Central Empire 14,788
Gallic Empire

The coins in the hoard from Gallic Empire

Emperor Reign Quantity
Postumus 260-9 257
Laelian 269 4
Marius 269 35
Victorinus 269-71 7,494
Divus Victorinus 271 14
Tetricus I 271-4 12,416
Tetricus II 272-4 5,203
Gallic Empire uncertain 2,954
Total Gallic Empire 28,377
British Empire

The coins in the hoard from British Empire
Emperor Reign Quantity
Carausius 286-93 766

Breakdown by identification status

Identification class
Status Quantity
Contemporary copies 314
Identifiable coins 44,245
Illegible coins 8,258
Total 52,503

Bet that took some ID'ing :)

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm

This is the dig diary

http://www.finds.org.uk/fromehoard

i think well done to Dave for resisting the temptation to dig himself

must have been amazing to be part of the dig :)

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Cool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

allentaz

Post by allentaz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:36 pm

omg think i would have pitched a tent right next to it and stood guard!!!! What a find an amazing collection of coins!! :))

Bootes

Re: Frome Hoard - Somerset

Post by Bootes » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Dave is the secretary of my club the Trowbridge & District Metal Detecting Club. He told us at the April club meeting just after he found the hoard and even brought a few of the coins in to show us along with loads of pictures. Of course we were all sworn to secrecy. He did say that afterwards he couldn't concentrate and that no matter how often he tried to carry on detecting in another direction he always found himself back at the same spot. Can't say that I blame him. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Well done Dave.

[:)
Bootes

The Answer's 42

Minelab X-TERRA 305
Garrett ACE 250

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:22 pm

H Bootes, thanks for the personal touch B-) the Frome hoard is a very interesting one.
Cheers
mrix

essexray78

Post by essexray78 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:08 pm

hi all

just seen in todays paper that the somerset hoard has been estimated at £1million the finder has said he is well happy with the estimate and it goes without mention he will split 50/50 with the land owner . he also said he aint bothered if it was worth nothing for him its the buzz of finding something so important to our country .

thoughts: top detectorist all us newbies look to be this responsible in our own detecting.
Garret ace 250 and yes I'm a happy bunny.

Bootes

Post by Bootes » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi guys,
just to let you all know Dave is telling the story of his find on our club web site. It's quite a good read. Trowbridge Metal Detecting Club. http://www.trowbridgemdc.co.uk [:)
Bootes

The Answer's 42

Minelab X-TERRA 305
Garrett ACE 250

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks for the update boots :)
I notice your club has a links page that has a section to various forums, I don`t suppose you could ask for a link for this forum to be added?
I have emailed but never get a reply :-/ not sure if my email got through or not.
Cheers Bootes
mrix

warwickshire-man

Post by warwickshire-man » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:21 am

it was found with a minelab explorer 2

Jayreef

Post by Jayreef » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:51 pm

has now been valued at

"The unique hoard of 52,503 Roman coins found last April stuffed into a giant pot bellied jar, buried in a field near Frome, the largest ever found in a single container in Britain, has been valued at £320,250 after hours of debate and conflicting opinions from three experts."

Tomcat-uk
Pastfinders Club Founder

Post by Tomcat-uk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:55 pm

And BANG goes the Roman coin price right out the window lol
Just too many of them little buggers around.
TC
When in Doubt Dig.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
I will either find a way or make one.
Teknetics T2

Jax

Post by Jax » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Can't imagine how exciting it must be to make that sort of discovery - I'm off!
:))
[:)
Xp deus, Garrett Ace250, Propointer and teabags!

Wansdyke44

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 am

Great news that they will stay in the county. Will be going to see them for sure, but not quite the same as finding it myself... 8->
In the Zone with the Garrett carrot!

My Finds Gallery

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I see that he had 15 permissions gosh he was lucky that he detected on this bit. I also noted that a new BBC progamme 'Digging for Britain' I wonder if it will be all about metal detecting?

The story of the excavation will be told in a new BBC Two archaeology series, Digging for Britain, presented by Dr Alice Roberts and made by 360production, to be broadcast in August. I am sure someone will spot it and put up to remind us its on.
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

oneProducer

Post by oneProducer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Said to be 'an offering to the Gods'.... does that make us detectorists the Gods? since we are the recipients ;)
...why has all the rum gone??

Butty

Post by Butty » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:19 am

Garrett AT Pro Int.
Garrett Euro Ace

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds”