Saxon Hoard found

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
Pastseeker

Re: Saxon Hoard found

Post by Pastseeker »

Fantastic! well done and thanks for sharing your amazing discovery ::g

XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks »

Awesome fantastic brilliant words fail me i bet you said Whatunearth have i found =)) Well found Greg ::g
What we do in life echoes in eternity

metalmicky

Post by metalmicky »

Oh what a fantastic find you got there, well found ::g
Seek and ye shall find

mcbain

Post by mcbain »

Way to go Greg, stunning pieces. Probably tip of the iceberg if you had to go that deep ::g

Well deserved, couldn't happen to a nicer bloke ;)

Ger.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

Wormslayer

Post by Wormslayer »

Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations Whatunearth. A find of major importance. Well done sir! ::g
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... totraklite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silversimon

Post by silversimon »

Feel sorry for your wife she will never see you again lol..Thanks for sharing..Its what dreams are made of bet you are on top of the world, ..Craftmanship is amazing must be some great leader///some Garnets there too.. hope there is more on your high status burial site.. ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g
BELIEVING IS NOT ENOUGH, YOU MUST ASK !-AND I SAY UNTO YOU, ASK AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN YOU, SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND, KNOCK , AND IT SHALL BE OPENED UNTO YOU, FOR EVERY ONE THAT ASKETH, RECEIVETH, AND HE THAT SEEKETH - FINDETH -

NeverWntd2Dance

Post by NeverWntd2Dance »

silversimon wrote:Feel sorry for your wife she will never see you again lol..
I'm with Greg and I'm an even bigger detecting nerd than him =)) 98;

So proud 98; 98; 98;
Etrac & Laser Hawkeye
Garrett pro-pointer
Aardvark spade
Member of South Yorkshire MDC :)
+ Plenty of hope and enthusiasm 98;

Peter Pearce

Post by Peter Pearce »

Staggering, what a find and what a stroke of luck that you were advised to keep searching that area. The god's were smiling on you for certain. Don't forget to enter the Euro Millions this week your lucks in mate. Very well done mate. Pete. ::g :D ::g :D ::g :D

slinky

Post by slinky »

While I am a little uneasy about how the hoard was dug up, ( can't begin to explain the importance of preserving the context of archaeological items) and think that as soon as you suspected you had a hoard digging should of stopped and your FLO should of been contacted or failing that your county archaeologist. I must say its a stunning find of a lifetime!! Massive congratulations to you ::g ::g

Ps- please don't take my above comments personally, I truly am chuffed for you! (And a tad jealous!!) I just want others in this situation to know what to do if they find themselves in a similar position.... rl;
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

superb greg youve just achieved the ultimate one could expect from this great hobby, this find is going to cause quite a stir ,not supriseing you found this hoard in kent ,heres a couple of british museum examples ....kentish brooches 6 centuary :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g
ps just off now to die in the corner ... of envy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stratman

Post by Stratman »

An absolutely staggering find of huge national and international importance!!!! Your future generations and many millions too will admire this, I'm sure in the BM and when all is found will be talked about in the same breath as Sutton Hoo. I hope the archies wash and sieve the soil to recover all the pieces of garnet so the items can be restored to their former glory. There will begin so much study and conjecture as to who this very high status individual was.

Well found dosen't even come close and thanks for sharing your moment in history.

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

Absolutely superb find, take a bow mate ::g ::g

sweepspeed5

Post by sweepspeed5 »

Fantastic,that is such a result.

Now to comment on Slinkys post-a good few years ago I was at a Weekend Wanders dig where a large pot was detected in the ground complete with lead top.Presuming that this was a cremation urn it was left in situ,to inform the Coroner and the Archies.The farmer covered the find spot with a large implement [drag or a plough I think].Roll forward several months when all the legalities had been complied with;everyone was looking forward to hearing what the pot contained.However we never found out because some b*st*rd had stolen the pot.
Whilst every endeavor to follow best practice must be made [obviously];the fact that Flo's are not easy to contact ,particularly at weekends does leave the detectorist in a very difficult situation.It's all very well saying you should have done this or that;but the situation needs to be assessed at the time.
I certainly feel that discoveries made when out detecting alone are easier to keep quiet,enabling the Flo to organize any excavation.It's a whole different ball game in a large group, or as in this instant when you visible from a road.Nighthawks do own binoculars!
But seriously well done on the find

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Spectacular......................I'm speechless. ::g ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

hotmill

Post by hotmill »

superb! we'll found and we'll saved!
XP Deus user

coal digger

Post by coal digger »

A special find greg,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

sweepspeed5 wrote:Fantastic,that is such a result.

Now to comment on Slinkys post-a good few years ago I was at a Weekend Wanders dig where a large pot was detected in the ground complete with lead top.Presuming that this was a cremation urn it was left in situ,to inform the Coroner and the Archies.The farmer covered the find spot with a large implement [drag or a plough I think].Roll forward several months when all the legalities had been complied with;everyone was looking forward to hearing what the pot contained.However we never found out because some b*st*rd had stolen the pot.
Whilst every endeavor to follow best practice must be made [obviously];the fact that Flo's are not easy to contact ,particularly at weekends does leave the detectorist in a very difficult situation.It's all very well saying you should have done this or that;but the situation needs to be assessed at the time.
I certainly feel that discoveries made when out detecting alone are easier to keep quiet,enabling the Flo to organize any excavation.It's a whole different ball game in a large group, or as in this instant when you visible from a road.Nighthawks do own binoculars!
fair comment ,but when you phone the flo if she is not available there is a direct line to the bm in such cases as this ,the dig orginiser should really be ready for such an occasion , digging below plow depth is frowned upon never mind removing a whole assembalage of what look to be grave goods . i really do hope the archiological freternity look upon the reasons escavation of such a nationaly important find with sympathy. ......ray s;.. ::g ::g ::g ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

The batteries are running low on the old lap-top... but opening your post, mysteriously returned the machine to full power!!!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

JBM

Post by JBM »

Heard about this one, but asked to keep mum until its hit the headlines.

What a wonderful find for both the finder and the landowner.

Love this hobby of ours. ;) :) Jerry.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

sweepspeed5 wrote:Fantastic,that is such a result.

It appears that everything has been done right with respect to recovery of this hoard ... in sad contrast to the story above, where the pot was left in situ for months, only later discovered to have been nicked... I would assume that the motto should be .. "If security is in doubt ... take it out!!!"

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils »

people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth »

lordofthecoils wrote:people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g

I can see what you are trying to say, however, the first hole was actually no different than a normal hole that anyone would have dug. Ok the entrance was widened to allow for the coil to go in just to get some extra depth after the first pin was found, other than that the other hair pin and the two large square ended brooches were dug out using my hand at the bottom of the hole no wider than 5 inches at around 20 inches give or take.
The site organizers were informed at this stage and after many attempted calls and no answers to as many people as they know, the decision was made to widen the hole. This was due to the fact, a crowd was gathering around the hole and also we were very close to a main road.
We widened and found the circular brooch and some small bits. Then we recovered the hole.
Unfortunately there some very bad people out there and if we had not done that who knows who would be up there at night.
I finally managed to get in contact with the FLO the next day and having explained the situation to her, she agreed that it was for the best.
Thanks
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

slinky

Post by slinky »

Hi Greg as I put in my post I was not having a go, and I don't want to detract from the fantastic find that you have made!!! It's why we all detect....... :D
I just wanted others who find themselves in a similar position to know the correct procedure.
The dig organiser should of known better and called the BM or even the county archaeologist or local museum, in the event they could not get in contact the local FLO.

Congratulations again on your find of a lifetime, and thank you for taking your time to share it with us here on the forum. I am still very very jealous :D :D ::g
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

felixferal

Post by felixferal »

Awesome, just awesome.

::g ::g
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

lordofthecoils wrote:people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g
Yes there is circumstantial evidence that the finds are from a grave, and am sure that trhe archeaologists will be all over the place, and will do a detailed survey of the site. this is on the assumption that the night hawkers haven't got there first. Maybe we should hold back on publicising sites until the archies have done the place. Apologies if I've missed somethingf.

Grimhunt

Post by Grimhunt »

Great find look forward to seeing it all cleaned up well done

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps »

So proud of you mate!

Here' a video of Greg explaining the process of finding the pieces in more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZS6jWFM0A

Was honestly privileged to be near it all. Fantastic stuff, and can't wait to see what it all looks like cleaned up. It's going to be really interesting what historical puzzles are going to be opened/solved because of this find as well. So fascinating.

Again, well done that man! ::g

stanslad

Post by stanslad »

Very well found Greg,
looks like some lovely grave goods, with some more carefull digging with the archi's & with a bit of respect in case there's someone down there, you might find other non metal finds like glass/pottery containers, bone/bead jewellery etc?
well done & good luck.
Clint ::g

sweepspeed5

Post by sweepspeed5 »

Having a phone number for the British Museum or County archi is only any good if on phoning, the people at the other end are prepared, or able to take action.Be that an emergency excavation or helping to arrange site security.Members of my club have phoned up a museum before to explain that they had a major find [hoard] only to be told they were too busy and couldn't do anything.After stressing the importance of the situation, someone eventually came out, hours later.

Having the Flo's calls diverted to the BM is all well and good,but the ability to respond is important; and I don't mean "can we take a message for you sir"

Holedigger Pete

Post by Holedigger Pete »

I am Pete Chairman of the club and was on site when the hoard was found, we rang our FLO Jennifer Jackson on the day and could not get hold of her. The next day Jennifer rang Greg and said she could not do nothing till Friday or the following week Greg informed about this and i was not happy. I tried to contact Jennifer but her phone was turned off, due to the find being close to a main road i contacted the 3 top people at the BM and sent them pictures these are the people who got things moving. They told me the site could not be left till Friday and they would get a team together for the next day and that the police would be informed about the area to keep an eye on it. Yes i had thought about this happening one day and what to do, on the day i done what i thought was right to take out as much as we could without any damage to the area i could not sleep at night knowing nighthawkers could rob the site. The BM told me i did the right thing and i stand by what i did. The FLO's should have inplace a team to deal with finds like this 7 days a week and we should have phone numbers for this.
Last edited by Holedigger Pete on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds Forum”