Saxon Hoard found

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
lordofthecoils

Re: Saxon Hoard found

Post by lordofthecoils »

people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth »

lordofthecoils wrote:people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g

I can see what you are trying to say, however, the first hole was actually no different than a normal hole that anyone would have dug. Ok the entrance was widened to allow for the coil to go in just to get some extra depth after the first pin was found, other than that the other hair pin and the two large square ended brooches were dug out using my hand at the bottom of the hole no wider than 5 inches at around 20 inches give or take.
The site organizers were informed at this stage and after many attempted calls and no answers to as many people as they know, the decision was made to widen the hole. This was due to the fact, a crowd was gathering around the hole and also we were very close to a main road.
We widened and found the circular brooch and some small bits. Then we recovered the hole.
Unfortunately there some very bad people out there and if we had not done that who knows who would be up there at night.
I finally managed to get in contact with the FLO the next day and having explained the situation to her, she agreed that it was for the best.
Thanks
Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

slinky

Post by slinky »

Hi Greg as I put in my post I was not having a go, and I don't want to detract from the fantastic find that you have made!!! It's why we all detect....... :D
I just wanted others who find themselves in a similar position to know the correct procedure.
The dig organiser should of known better and called the BM or even the county archaeologist or local museum, in the event they could not get in contact the local FLO.

Congratulations again on your find of a lifetime, and thank you for taking your time to share it with us here on the forum. I am still very very jealous :D :D ::g
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

felixferal

Post by felixferal »

Awesome, just awesome.

::g ::g
Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Extreme Evolution Blade, Chefphones & Grim Determination

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/felix ... rary/Coins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact »

lordofthecoils wrote:people keep calling this a hoard as if the items were buried together like the suffolk saxon gold hoard . it doesnt take a genius to see that these are grave goods . heres a picture of a saxon grave of a women see how there are two brooches ,these would have been on each shoulder of her clothing when she was buried . considering the artifacts were dug from a hole 2ftx 2ft the overwhelming evidence is that its a grave.....ray ::g ::g ::g
Yes there is circumstantial evidence that the finds are from a grave, and am sure that trhe archeaologists will be all over the place, and will do a detailed survey of the site. this is on the assumption that the night hawkers haven't got there first. Maybe we should hold back on publicising sites until the archies have done the place. Apologies if I've missed somethingf.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Grimhunt

Post by Grimhunt »

Great find look forward to seeing it all cleaned up well done

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps »

So proud of you mate!

Here' a video of Greg explaining the process of finding the pieces in more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjZS6jWFM0A

Was honestly privileged to be near it all. Fantastic stuff, and can't wait to see what it all looks like cleaned up. It's going to be really interesting what historical puzzles are going to be opened/solved because of this find as well. So fascinating.

Again, well done that man! ::g

stanslad

Post by stanslad »

Very well found Greg,
looks like some lovely grave goods, with some more carefull digging with the archi's & with a bit of respect in case there's someone down there, you might find other non metal finds like glass/pottery containers, bone/bead jewellery etc?
well done & good luck.
Clint ::g

sweepspeed5

Post by sweepspeed5 »

Having a phone number for the British Museum or County archi is only any good if on phoning, the people at the other end are prepared, or able to take action.Be that an emergency excavation or helping to arrange site security.Members of my club have phoned up a museum before to explain that they had a major find [hoard] only to be told they were too busy and couldn't do anything.After stressing the importance of the situation, someone eventually came out, hours later.

Having the Flo's calls diverted to the BM is all well and good,but the ability to respond is important; and I don't mean "can we take a message for you sir"

Holedigger Pete

Post by Holedigger Pete »

I am Pete Chairman of the club and was on site when the hoard was found, we rang our FLO Jennifer Jackson on the day and could not get hold of her. The next day Jennifer rang Greg and said she could not do nothing till Friday or the following week Greg informed about this and i was not happy. I tried to contact Jennifer but her phone was turned off, due to the find being close to a main road i contacted the 3 top people at the BM and sent them pictures these are the people who got things moving. They told me the site could not be left till Friday and they would get a team together for the next day and that the police would be informed about the area to keep an eye on it. Yes i had thought about this happening one day and what to do, on the day i done what i thought was right to take out as much as we could without any damage to the area i could not sleep at night knowing nighthawkers could rob the site. The BM told me i did the right thing and i stand by what i did. The FLO's should have inplace a team to deal with finds like this 7 days a week and we should have phone numbers for this.
Last edited by Holedigger Pete on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holedigger Pete

Slinky, we tried contacting the FLO no joy BM no Joy could not get hold of anyone till Monday, so what was i ment to do?

mcbain

Post by mcbain »

Full marks Pete & Greg for the way this delicate situation was handled. In the absence of immediate support there are limited options and I don't think that anyone can understand fully unless they were present or in the same situation at some stage.

I`m surprised Greg did not sleep in the hole to keep it safe =))

Well done to all involved ::g
Ger.
One life...make every day count.
Minelab CTX3030

Holedigger Pete

Arch's are on site in the morning iv just been informed. ::g ::g

sweepspeed5

Post by sweepspeed5 »

I pretty much guested that that was the scenario; Pete you have done the right thing! and as much as you could be expected to;fairly stressful time especially when your trying to do the right thing.All of these situations have to be handed as they unfold.Looking forward to a prompt excavation and more finds to follow.

Hats off to you all for your memorable day and find.Enjoy it!!!!

Skint Eastwood

Post by Skint Eastwood »

What else can I say but WOW! =P~

Holedigger Pete

My phone has not stopped from Monday, Dr Kevin Leahy from the BM has asked me to keep him updated on how things go. Roll on tomorrow morning when Greg the finder and me are on site. :-SS :-SS :-SS :-SS

Chloro

Post by Chloro »

At least you know you are doing something right. Wonderful find.

Larfin boy

Post by Larfin boy »

Amazing, well found.
XP Deus
Tesoro Compadre
Fieldmaster F3
Garrett pro pointer
Garret AT pro pointer
Evolution SS spade
Draper mini shovel
Black ada
WS 5 headphones
Evolution extreme blade
"GOT THE GEAR.....NO IDEA !! "
AD VICTOREM SPOLIAS

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore »

Opinions -about method of recovery-circumstances of find and retrieval..
Here`s a view..
Who Cares??
They have already suffered some damage,the quicker they were found the better!

The Strapend i found this year was damaged,how long before it broke in two and lost some of its beauty.? ...(still beautiful to me,i love it. ) :D

And the response from the "authorities" in these situations is abysmal...
Should have had a 24hr Armed Guard if necessary..Until the Archies get shifting..
And they have a pop at us for "amateur"..behavior. =))
But let Channel 4 go digging with massive plant....
:-O
Yeah i said it ,i said it ,it needed saying.

Apparently you`re only supposed to find Treasure during Museum times....
Or working hours..
"Oh ,Okay",,i didn`t know that ..thanks ,will bear it in mind in the future."..

Oh dear..sorry Greg.
Let me sum up by saying "You did good mate,and your club handled it PERFECTLY.".
Kudos to all....
One for the history books my friend,
What more could a detectorist ask for.

p.s..maybe,just maybe ..there`s loads more. ::g ::g
Ya never know. 98;

mtdking

Post by mtdking »

Jealous really jealous, well done it's something we can only dream about :))

fjking0

Post by fjking0 »

::g ::g Absolutely Stunning Finds This Is Exactly Why So Many Of Us Go Out In All Weathers Because Any One Of Us Could One Day Come Across A Find Like This ::g ::g Thanks For Posting The Pictures And Please Keep The Thread Updated.
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lucky Hat & My Fingers Crossed :)

Holedigger Pete

Well said bobby, the whole thing is a farce and needs a good shake up. As far as we know more graves could be there so the FLO should be on it from day one not say you will have to wait till Friday even when the FLO has seen the pictures. X( X(

slinky

Post by slinky »

Hi Pete, thanks for taking the time to explain what the situation you found yourself in was.

A truly stunning find which I look forward to reading about and viewing at the BM in a year or two ;) ::g

Do agree the PAS needs more funding........
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Allectus

Post by Allectus »

bobbymoore wrote:Opinions -about method of recovery-circumstances of find and retrieval..
Here`s a view..
Who Cares??
They have already suffered some damage,the quicker they were found the better!

The Strapend i found this year was damaged,how long before it broke in two and lost some of its beauty.? ...(still beautiful to me,i love it. ) :D

And the response from the "authorities" in these situations is abysmal...
Should have had a 24hr Armed Guard if necessary..Until the Archies get shifting..
And they have a pop at us for "amateur"..behavior. =))
But let Channel 4 go digging with massive plant....
:-O
Yeah i said it ,i said it ,it needed saying.

Apparently you`re only supposed to find Treasure during Museum times....
Or working hours..
"Oh ,Okay",,i didn`t know that ..thanks ,will bear it in mind in the future."..

Oh dear..sorry Greg.
Let me sum up by saying "You did good mate,and your club handled it PERFECTLY.".
Kudos to all....
One for the history books my friend,
What more could a detectorist ask for.

p.s..maybe,just maybe ..there`s loads more. ::g ::g
Ya never know. 98;
Yep, it's better out than in Bob, spot on mate! :)) ::g

Let's just hope when it comes to 'pay time' that Greg gets the full £kkk's & not some paltry, "low-ball" offer. ::g

Best of luck mate.

A ;)

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE »

if thats not find of the month i dont know what is ::g . excellent find matey

neil.
Just using the Force Image

Allectus

Post by Allectus »

Holedigger Pete wrote:Well said bobby, the whole thing is a farce and needs a good shake up. As far as we know more graves could be there so the FLO should be on it from day one not say you will have to wait till Friday even when the FLO has seen the pictures. X( X(
Another spot-on post. ::g Those items are of national importance, almost certainly belonged to the 'big chief' of the day & rarer than rocking horse s**t! ...... I'd have been there asap, dropping everything! ::g

A ;)

Allectus

Post by Allectus »

THE MOLE wrote:if thats not find of the month i dont know what is ::g . excellent find matey

neil.
It's still only the 19th Mole....plenty of time yet mate. :D :)) :))

A ;)

StuE

Post by StuE »

Well rescued - keep us posted.
All you want to know about cloth seals :) :- http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Collman

Post by Collman »

I have to keep returning to look at these pictures time and time again.... x; =P~ x; =P~
Garrett AT PRO International + NEL TONADO
ACE 150
Garrett Pro Pointer
Draper Mini Spade + Blackadda Spade
PERSEVERENCE..!

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook »

Congratulations fella.

Really fantastic part of our history revealed for all to enjoy and I hope you get the monetary reward you deserve too.

I'm Gobsmacked! x;

All the best,

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Hole's a Goal!!"

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds Forum”