Rare undisturbed Bronze Age burial

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
fisheruk

Rare undisturbed Bronze Age burial

Post by fisheruk » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36756107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fisher F4.
Makro Racer.
Makro Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer.
Lesche Raptor.
Draper mini spade.

Donington Mudman

Re: Rare undisturbed Bronze Age burial

Post by Donington Mudman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Interesting. As for dig it up and preserve it, that's a difficult one. Whilst I get respecting someone's burial etc, I don't know, I just think it's only a matter of time before someone plonks a petrol station or motorway on top of it and mashes it.
DEUS
See my finds here https://imgur.com/a/Ya63r?s=sms

Aquila

Post by Aquila » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:34 pm

What about such great artifacts like Tutankhamun's mask or so called "Agamemnon's mask"? Without "digging at grave sites" we would never know about them. No one is intentionally destroying human remains and bringing such artifacts and learning more about the past is worth the effort. Besides, it may sounds harsh to some people, but the dead don't care about what happens with their bodies a lot of centuries after their death.

But of course such excavations (on known grave sites) should be done only by professional archeologists and with proper respect for the remains of the dead.
Oldest coin I've found - L Julius Bursio's denarius, 85 BC. And I love it!

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:57 pm

The Ferret wrote:I find the digging up of known burial sites disturbing. Let them rest in peice or is it just a leagal way of hawking it :-/
Accidentally digging ok but to dig up what is known is imoral ;;z

I want a do not disturb and no valuable items are kept here written on my headstone.
>:P
Too right, TF. Leave well alone you educated(or so they like to think) load of planks. :))

They'll rip the arse out of that site with a big 360°machine but, when it comes to the likes of us digging 'below the plough line'(depends on how big the plough is - planks) they'll go off alarming! :))

A ;)

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Aquila wrote: No one is intentionally destroying human remains and bringing such artifacts and learning more about the past is worth the effort.

But of course such excavations (on known grave sites) should be done only by professional archeologists and with proper respect for the remains of the dead.
They obviously don't get to see the ballcocks called 'Time Team' in Poland. :)) :))

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 am

It always seemed dreadfully wrong to me the way the Time Team crew excitedly pulled skeletons from the places they had peacefully rested in for hundreds and in many cases, thousands of years. Such places weren't usually under any threat of development and the exhumations seemed to be carried out mainly for the purpose of satisfying the self serving purposes of the archaeologists so to do. They viewed the skeleton as a piece of evidence in much the same way as they would regard a piece of pottery. I remember that in some cases the skeletons were reburied with an accompanying religious service but this was done to satisfy local sensibilities rather than at the instigation of the Time Team, some of whose notable members proclaimed themselves as atheists - which explains a lot.

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds”