Large Roman Silver coin Hoard at Bridport.

Information and discussion on Hoards and Treasure found.
JBM

Large Roman Silver coin Hoard at Bridport.

Post by JBM » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I see there are some interesting Video`s on you-tube covering the very large Roman silver coins hoard at saturdays dig.

The man with the hat had it covered live which is rather unusual.

In-fact its in 2 parts.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Oxgirl36

Re: Large Roman Silver coin Hoard at Bridport.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Saw that this was live from a Facebook post yesterday. They quite rightly called in the FLO straight away but was surprised that then they didn't dig round and wrap it to examine it in more detail off site. Instead they were removing each coin and dropping them all into one bag, losing any info on the layers and context of any artefacts. The FLO was there so I'm assuming she was happy for this approach (didn't watch the whole thing) and maybe even suggested it but surely that is against normal advice to call the FLO so she/he can offer and ensure everything is done to maintain as much archeological info as possible :-/ :-L
XP Deus
10 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 2 so far in 2018 :-L

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Actually they removed the bulk of the hoard in layers, bagged in 50`s. As the majority had been smashed and spread by the plough then their context was lost a long time ago. Several more out-layers have since been handed in as well....the spread was fairly large so its also been ploughed multiple times. The main hole wasn`t much more than 12 inches and that got the bottom of the pot.
All things being equal they done the best they could in the circumstances. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I hear on the grapevine that there is some contention as to who owns what and who actually has the coins? If that is true then its sadly the normal course of events.
Re the FLO and context, removal, I was also a little surprised, there seemed to be too many people doing the removing and at too fast a rate. There were neat rows of coins that would have originally been bound together by some organic matter that may have survived in some small way if those coins had also been undisturbed. Just looked like the FLO was not in charge?
Fantastic view of the coins in the soil, always more impressive than when put into a box, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Only seen pics of some of the coins and some very special ones in there,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 am

God I hope it doesn't end up being a sad story re where they are now.

The event guys did all the right things and I'm not suggesting they acted incorrectly - just wanted to clear that up. It must be so exciting to find a hoard and I can understand the need to get them out quickly before it got too late or the site was interfered with. It is just the pot seemed to have lots of coins in it and even if a number had been disturbed and spread around the area the coins in the pot should have been left in it for analysis.

Anyway it was just an observation. It's a great story and the video I saw was really interesting. If it is worth the figures being banded about I hope both the finder and the farmer get their fair share ::g beautiful coins and be interested to hear the follow up stories OooO
XP Deus
10 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 2 so far in 2018 :-L

41 Craig P

Post by 41 Craig P » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:24 am

I have seen the video too and I was a little disappointed in what I saw. Yes the FLO was there but it should have been the initial finder, site organiser, FLO the only people around the trench?

It to me felt a bit disheartening seeing so many people crowded around pulling coins out and waving detectors around frantically. It seemed to lack any control understandably people would be excited, who wouldn't be!

I don't know the full context so happy to be told wrong if the FLO had asked for people to search as it had been scattered by the plough but there was something about it when I was watching that didn't sit right with me.
Craig
Professional Shot Cap Hunter

Return to “Hoards and Treasure Finds”