Would you dig this bottle dump!!

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
Lowland

Re: Would you dig this bottle dump!!

Post by Lowland » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Just been down for aproper recce of this tip,bit of a heartbreaker,
The old house was pulled down-guess where it was tipped :))
That’s right ,mostly on top of the dump-aaargh :))
So it’s a digger job-which might happen yet.,
But for now it’s back to the drawing board.
Did pick up a few early bits and pieces from the edge where the digger had already been in .
:(

Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm
Did pick up a few early bits and pieces from the edge where the digger had already been in .
I know that feeling well . The night before the "off" your mind is racing in the wonderment of what goodies lie beneath , great expectations duly dashed . We have a tip very similar . Three buildings dating approx 1750s . We have managed to find part of the tip which dates 1910-1920s but we know for sure somewhere within the boundaries of those old dwellings are the older tips .
The houses were pulled down and we have come to the conclusion that the mound of rubble lays smack bang on top of the very early stuff . Heaps of bricks and mortar several feet high would need a digger to shift that lot , maybe one day .
As you say , back to the drawing board and sorry to hear of your dilemma .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm
Lowland wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm
I know that feeling well . The night before the "off" your mind is racing in the wonderment of what goodies lie beneath , great expectations duly dashed . We have a tip very similar . Three buildings dating approx 1750s . We have managed to find part of the tip which dates 1910-1920s but we know for sure somewhere within the boundaries of those old dwellings are the older tips .
The houses were pulled down and we have come to the conclusion that the mound of rubble lays smack bang on top of the very early stuff . Heaps of bricks and mortar several feet high would need a digger to shift that lot , maybe one day .
As you say , back to the drawing board and sorry to hear of your dilemma .
Thanks kenleyboy,bit gutted but the area is due to be cleared out so hope springs eternal ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 pm

I always like to be optimistic about these things . Seeing the top section of that lovely old bottle would be enough for me to pursue that tip in the hope that it would produce a whole one . Even a broken one that could be repaired would do me . They are classic bottles with such iconic designs that make them so appealing . A lot do not survive but I would be saving all the bits .
I would keep that top piece just in case you find the rest of it . All will come good I'm sure , just a case of keeping your eye on the place and keeping it low key . Never say never !

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 pm
I always like to be optimistic about these things . Seeing the top section of that lovely old bottle would be enough for me to pursue that tip in the hope that it would produce a whole one . Even a broken one that could be repaired would do me . They are classic bottles with such iconic designs that make them so appealing . A lot do not survive but I would be saving all the bits .
I would keep that top piece just in case you find the rest of it . All will come good I'm sure , just a case of keeping your eye on the place and keeping it low key . Never say never !
My thoughts exactly ::g
Because of where this tip is the region archaeologist wants to dig the whole thing
And record the lot as a slice of the big hooses history.
If I was getting paid I would be up for that :D
Oh and a jcb would handy!

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 pm

Awww, what a shame. All that build up for nowt. I feel for you. Still you can look to the future clearance. Let someone else do the hard work and sneak in when they go home :D

Onwards and upwards, so they say ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 pm
Awww, what a shame. All that build up for nowt. I feel for you. Still you can look to the future clearance. Let someone else do the hard work and sneak in when they go home :D

Onwards and upwards, so they say ::g
The digger driver likes his bottles ladyB,
Also collects old clay field drains .
I think he’s got more than me :)) I only have one.
Put it this way -nobody’s going to plunder it-if you tried that one at night
Fair chance You’d end up skewered on a bit of old railing then heid first into an old cooker.
It’s all good-a little higher up I’ve found a 1900s or so tip.
Potential for good obscure milk bottles and poisons.
Also older items binned out of sequence. :D
It’s a very good example of my old adage-
‘Once a banking-always a banking’
In other words a good place to hoy stuff has aye been.
Time fore a beer ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:49 am

We have one pending tip very similar which unfortunately is out of bounds at the moment as it lays in the grounds of a public building . We had a scratch about on its boundaries which were accessible and it has huge potential , my digging buddy pulled out a rare local slab seal flagon out in one piece so we know there is good stuff in there .
The dilemma is without a professional body to approach the authorities it is a big no however we have now had to bring in a team with one being an archaeologist who with some clout will put up a proposal and hopefully gain permission . It means more bodies on site and of course the booty wont be as plentiful but to forsake the amount of goods is a small price to pay for access . We are talking mechanical digger , hard hats and high viz jackets , the works . It will take time and probably wont happen until next year now . Good chance of some very early stuff . Sometimes it is the only way in with the "right" people if you get my drift . Once again a historical record of the grounds etc will go towards local history and the public building .
I sympathise with your predicament , right under your nose with a few boundaries in your way .If you can come away from there with something that is a bonus .

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:49 am
We have one pending tip very similar which unfortunately is out of bounds at the moment as it lays in the grounds of a public building . We had a scratch about on its boundaries which were accessible and it has huge potential , my digging buddy pulled out a rare local slab seal flagon out in one piece so we know there is good stuff in there .
The dilemma is without a professional body to approach the authorities it is a big no however we have now had to bring in a team with one being an archaeologist who with some clout will put up a proposal and hopefully gain permission . It means more bodies on site and of course the booty wont be as plentiful but to forsake the amount of goods is a small price to pay for access . We are talking mechanical digger , hard hats and high viz jackets , the works . It will take time and probably wont happen until next year now . Good chance of some very early stuff . Sometimes it is the only way in with the "right" people if you get my drift . Once again a historical record of the grounds etc will go towards local history and the public building .
I sympathise with your predicament , right under your nose with a few boundaries in your way .If you can come away from there with something that is a bonus .
Sounds fantastic,could be some rare early treats in there,
Stay the course KB ,if you don’t somebody else will. ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am

I just wish I was 20 younger :(

Just have to enjoy reading about your exploits ( Paul & Rory) I’m almost certain I know a couple of old dumps but now find it hard enough turning over the veggie beds never mind what’s grown over the dumps for a hundred years :-O

Nice to see you both saving some of our history ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:22 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am

Just have to enjoy reading about your exploits ( Paul & Rory) I’m almost certain I know a couple of old dumps but now find it hard enough turning over the veggie beds never mind what’s grown over the dumps for a hundred years :-O

I’m on my way ladybird ::g
Kettle on :D

amphora

Post by amphora » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Lowland wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi amphora/it could be a bit earlier right enough,only one
Slight correction to be more clear. With earlier i mean to say earlier in dating, so older. Not earlier ago, not younger.
Good luck hunting.
Disclaimer: If i give advices i talk from my personal perspective, and it is not to copy 1 on 1. I rely on everyone’s common sense. Everyone has to think himself about implementing it for himself and to consider legal circumstances.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm

amphora wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 pm
Lowland wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 pm
Hi amphora/it could be a bit earlier right enough,only one
Slight correction to be more clear. With earlier i mean to say earlier in dating, so older. Not earlier ago, nog junger.
Hi amphora,I was clear before,now I’m confused :))
Truly -I knew what you were alluding to ::g
That lip and form could go back into the 1600s

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am

I wish I was 20 years younger as well ::g Lowland has hit onto something quite special especially where that old bottle top is concerned , that is a bottle diggers dream find , even the busted bits are worthy of saving . I have seen some broken ones re glued back together and despite the cracks , a whole bottle has been saved from an extremely early era .

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:01 pm

I mentioned that I’d found many bits of almost black, thick glass that sparkled in the Sun with an iridescence. Well I have to admit remembering finding parts of neck. Not being ‘into’ bottles I pretty well ignored them. I wonder now what wonders they may have pointed me to.

I know my farm permission has been occupied since The 1200 hundreds and the farmhouse and ‘mansion’ house have been re-built and moved slightly over time.
Two residences = two tips.
What a shame I didn’t expand my knowledge 10 years ago when I had better health, strength and age on my side.

I say get in there boys while you can. Time is a cruel mistress :(

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:01 pm
I mentioned that I’d found many bits of almost black, thick glass that sparkled in the Sun with an iridescence. Well I have to admit remembering finding parts of neck. Not being ‘into’ bottles I pretty well ignored them. I wonder now what wonders they may have pointed me to.

I know my farm permission has been occupied since The 1200 hundreds and the farmhouse and ‘mansion’ house have been re-built and moved slightly over time.
Two residences = two tips.
What a shame I didn’t expand my knowledge 10 years ago when I had better health, strength and age on my side.

I say get in there boys while you can. Time is a cruel mistress :(
I quite agree , I'm still fairly fit but who knows what evils lurk around the corner . I can give a pretty good account of myself as far digging a fair decent hole but pace myself . I am not 30 years old anymore . The good thing is I dont ache the next morning like used to a few years ago . However I am well aware that if it is not a regular occurrence then a month or more away from it I know I will certainly feel it the next day .
When the goings good then keep going , life is too short .

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:30 am

if you found some Walter crane stuff id be well pleased to see it ...or morris lol

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”