Some un dug Inks .

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

Some un dug Inks .

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm

It has been a good while since I last had chance to put spade to soil and do some bottle digging . What with the weather , metal detecting , work and the shooting season putting me off the land where the tip is , I have had to seek the bottle fever elsewhere .
It has been fun though , trawling the local markets and car boot sales where plenty of finds can be had for very little money .Personally I much prefer to dig my own bottles but I am a sucker for ink bottles as long as they are in nice condition and the chance of me digging them is virtually nil then I dont mind spending a few quid here and there .

This little lot equated to just a couple of quid each and for that sort of money it is very hard to walk away .A lot of inks that I dig are mostly the same pattern with the odd few thrown into the mix but the downside is the sickness which can effect a bottle and take away the beauty of pure glass so it is rare to dig a clean ink . Sometimes I get lucky and for say a dozen dug inks one will be clean , glass is strange substance and while one can be pure the rest can be poor .
Some collectors like the sickness , it can bring out some beautiful colours especially on amber glass which tend to have a myriad of rainbow colours which turn an otherwise plain bottle into something unique .

I particularly like the Stephens inks with the original labels and contents , not particularly as old as some of the others , circa 1930s era but in good condition and adds a little splash of colour when displayed on the shelf .

The mini stoneware ink pourer is nice , I dig penny of its bigger brothers but never this size , small and neat and worthy of a space amongst the other smallies .

The early sheared lip ink which looks broken would have been made this way and then a cork bung inserted into the neck . It is sharp and can you imagine a company making something like this nowadays with all the pathetic PC health and safety twaddle going on , but that is why these are collectible cause they just dont make them like this anymore , swings and roundabouts . The wording is a typical piece of boastful advertising which is as quirky as the indentation in the bottle , a manufacturing fault . It reads " Shaws Inks Are The Best "!

The other circular ink has "Johnsons Inks " embossed on the side and sits well amongst the natural air bubbles that early glass was so typical on a mass produced scale . The rest are plain except for the iced blue bottle which is very similar in design to the common Fields Ink bottles , this one reads "Tennysons Inks and Gum " .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

jarrett

Re: Some un dug Inks .

Post by jarrett » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Nice glass and a good writeup.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Kenleyboy,

somewhere around the house, loft or garage are a bunch of bottles, inks etc. dug in North Wales back in the 70's. If I find them and post a group picture are you happy to try and identify them?

Thanks,

Chris

Incognito

Post by Incognito » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:25 pm

" Shaws Inks Are The Best " haha, they didn't mess around or leave room for doubt in those days. Now it is likely to be either headed " Ye Olde " or have some complex spin about how the ink flows at 10G or will still be readable after being placed in a blast furnace and then washed with a caustic mixture that for some unfathomable reason includes gin (probably as reassurance to the likes of Figgis, not that he would approve of wasting it for a mere experiment).

Nice write up ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm

WVAM wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Kenleyboy,

somewhere around the house, loft or garage are a bunch of bottles, inks etc. dug in North Wales back in the 70's. If I find them and post a group picture are you happy to try and identify them?

Thanks,

Chris
Give it my best shot and I am sure a few others would be able to help out with the identification .
Would be nice to see a photo of them as a group shot ::g

dondo

Post by dondo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 pm

I used to dig an 1860s tip in inner city Birmingham next to the canal, it had been completely scavenged in Victorian times and there were very few bottles on there bigger than inks, because of this and there being many good dumps about at this time no one dug it and most weekends i was there on my own, i had 25 cottage inks with one of these being blue off there, but i was drawn away to the tips with the codds and ginger beers, most of this tip is still there with an outdoor activity type of centre on it, if they ever close down or the land is developed i'll be back there like a shot.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Clean as a whistle (to comply with strict instructions from another party methinks). 8-|
Seriously, they are real lookers and any ink, well any bottle actually ,still having a paper label in good nick gets my vote, nicely done ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:18 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Give it my best shot and I am sure a few others would be able to help out with the identification .
Would be nice to see a photo of them as a group shot ::g
Found the first boring lot - there are some common glass bottles somewhere else; I've obviously put them in a safe place!

My wife would be interested to know what they were used for. The little dumpy chap on the front left is 11cm tall and 7cm in diameter, stamped Bourne, Denby.
The cream coloured back right has an unnecessarily large lip - any reason?

I know they aren't worth a bean but like a lot of stuff on this forum it just adds to history of everyday life.

As and when I find the glass I'll add a picture.

Thanks for the help.
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 pm

I think some of the brown glazed ones are likely to be 'Inks' as well - a nice tidy display ::g
Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm

WVAM , most of them would be classed as ink bottles of sorts , it is a generalised term for these types of stoneware bottles and despite them being common enough finds they do form part of our social history . They were mass produced and we dig quite a few of them and they are great to find but as the numbers dug increase the novelty wears off a bit unless you find one or two which are a little different .
The very tall one at the back is commonly known as a blacking pot would have held a blacking paste or polish which I'm told was for fire grates and surrounds . To the left appear to be ink pourers which have the neat little tell tale "birds beak " lip to aid the flow of ink or liquid being poured .
The rest are classed as ink bottles but this is a general term but they contained other liquids for domestic and industrial use .
The photograph below shows a similar shaped bottle as the dumpy little fella and also similar bottle to the extreme right in your photo and this is a Vets bottle and the bottle next to it with "oil" stamped on the side is basically an ink pourer bottle with the birds beak .
All in all they are commonly classed as inks but had other uses but manufacturers such as Bourne Denby produced them in their thousands with little change to the design .
Hope this helps ::g

dondo

Post by dondo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 pm

I travelled down your way in the early 1980s, i think it was near Norwich (slept in the back of the van all the way) it was one of the largest Victorian tips i'd ever seen at the time it went on for miles,
when we got there we found it had been bulldozed level and all the bottle diggers had been chucked off (pre internet and news travelled a lot slower) a gamekeeper on site took pity on us when he found out how far we had travelled and let us dig the tip on his side off the brook or dyke, it was a lot smaller but i dug a Dawsons dark green codd, another lad with us had a bears grease, the driver just had a keiller marmalade, lets just say he didn't say much on the drive home :))

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:41 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm

All in all they are commonly classed as inks but had other uses but manufacturers such as Bourne Denby produced them in their thousands with little change to the design .
Hope this helps ::g
Thanks kenleyboy for taking the time - much appreciated ::g

I can appreciate that the novelty wears off - I feel the same about buttons! I treat them as just a sign there may be something else of interest that hasn't been found.

You've also helped on my "plan B" - gradual declutter. I can now tell my wife they were made in their thousands and we really don't need to keep them. I think it's not an argument I'm likely to win but it's worth a try. I think I'll get decluttered first :(

Thanks again.
Last edited by WVAM on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am

dondo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 pm
I travelled down your way in the early 1980s, i think it was near Norwich (slept in the back of the van all the way) it was one of the largest Victorian tips i'd ever seen at the time it went on for miles,
when we got there we found it had been bulldozed level and all the bottle diggers had been chucked off (pre internet and news travelled a lot slower) a gamekeeper on site took pity on us when he found out how far we had travelled and let us dig the tip on his side off the brook or dyke, it was a lot smaller but i dug a Dawsons dark green codd, another lad with us had a bears grease, the driver just had a keiller marmalade, lets just say he didn't say much on the drive home :))
I think I know where you mean , hear legendary tales from some of the old timers . Best part of it is under the new by pass . ;;z

dondo

Post by dondo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am
dondo wrote:
I think I know where you mean , hear legendary tales from some of the old timers . Best part of it is under the new by pass . ;;z
Most of it must be still there, we were told it was 30 foot deep in parts, lads in the future might have access to it, i know of a few tips that can't be dug, do you know of the legendary Goffe and sons blue codds? i know of 2 un-dug tips with them on, one is Birmingham City football ground, it's built on a 1870s filled in quarry, when they put drainage in a few years back a few of these codds were found, your looking at minimum of £10,000 for a mint early neck one.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:48 pm

dondo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm
kenleyboy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 am
dondo wrote:
Most of it must be still there, we were told it was 30 foot deep in parts, lads in the future might have access to it, i know of a few tips that can't be dug, do you know of the legendary Goffe and sons blue codds? i know of 2 un-dug tips with them on, one is Birmingham City football ground, it's built on a 1870s filled in quarry, when they put drainage in a few years back a few of these codds were found, your looking at minimum of £10,000 for a mint early neck one.
Yes I have heard of these bottles and with that valuation you can quite see why locations etc are kept secret .
There is the big tip over in Iver that was deep , was supposed to be the rubbish from London and was machine dug for years on and off . I think it is still being dug from time to time but that has been seriously ransacked . There were loads of small tips in and around N.W. London , we used to dig quite a few of them and I know that a few are still there undug but probably built upon now .
Had one of the best small tips in the grounds of a Convent . We had so many lids off there we buried a lot of them under a huge hedge because we couldn't take them all . We never did go back and now a carpark sits right over the tip of them unless the workmen found them , if they did they had good day .
We had access to one fairly large tip but that is now having a new housing estate built upon it . Most tips here are small farm tips and that suits me as my deep digging days are over .
The only other large tip that is well known up here is the one at Kings Lynn but you wont have a chance in hell of getting on that , security and hefty fines if you get caught roaming about on that piece of Land . Owned by the council .

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”