Probe rod - any alternatives?

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
nitram

Probe rod - any alternatives?

Post by nitram » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Is there any easy alternative to going to all that bother in getting a probe made up by a tradesman. What do others use? Would an old golf club minus the clubhead suffice

Koala

Re: Probe rod - any alternatives?

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Yes golf club sounds like a good idea to me

does not have to be fancy.

Most scrap metal merchants will sell you a length of steel for a couple pounds. Bend over the handle end and put something bright on it. Last thing you want to do it head but the sharp end and easier to find if you leave it stuck in the ground

Not that we were safety conscious when were were kids LOL

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Probes are usually about 1/8th inch diameter spring steel (3mm - 4mm?), and the steel tube handle (eg. old mountain-bike handlebar, 22.2mm diameter) is brazed or silver-soldered onto the end. Not welded, as that ruins the heat-treated spring steel. Some better probes have tungsten carbide tips fitted on them, but I guess that's a luxury.
Google will find you several home-build probe instructions. So have a go at making one.
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
:(

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39 pm

How about a ski pole, just remove the flat plate and your ready to go. will be very durable and lightweight.

Andy

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:03 pm

What does one do with these probes?

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:22 pm

Shove it in the ground and listen for a distinctive noise that a lump of glass makes. Then dig a hole as deep as the probe was. In essence.
Last edited by Fusion on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syzygy

Post by syzygy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Fusion wrote:Shove it in the ground and listen for a distinctive noise that a lump of glass makes. Then dig a hole as deep asthe probe was. In essence.
Bit too technical for me. x;

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 pm

I've just had a browse through my engineering materials stock (ie. junk in the garage) and found some lengths of spring steel - then I remembered where they came from. Bicycle tyres have two spring-steel hoops on each side, the beads. These are made from a single length of wire, about 1.6mm diameter, with one welded joint. The total hoop length is about 1.9 metres for a mountain-bike tyre. They are probably a bit thin for probes over 2 or 3 feet, but presumably motorbike tyres, and car tyres, could have thicker gauge bead wire. Obviously the length would be less, maybe 1.2 metre. But they may use multiple strands of thinner wire in car tyres - I've since dismembered a couple of other bike tyres to find they used triple/quadruple loops of thinner wire.

When I cut them, I removed all the tyre fabric/rubber first, so I could find the weld on the hoop, and cut next to that. I had to use a "Dremel" type tool with a carbide stone, some chunky wire-cutters I tried hardly made a mark. The internet tells me this type of wire has tensile strengths typically 1700 - 2000 MPa. For comparison, "12.9" grade steel bolts are 1200 MPa.

And on the bicycle theme, a bike wheel spoke would be OK for a short probe. They're not spring steel, but they are strong and moderately springy. Diameter is normally 2.0mm, road bike lengths are about 290mm. A decent bike shop will charge 25p for a single stainless steel spoke.
Last edited by Fusion on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin B

Post by Martin B » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Fusion wrote:Probes are usually about 1/8th inch diameter spring steel (3mm - 4mm?), and the steel tube handle (old mountain-bike handlebar?) is brazed or silver-soldered onto the end. Not welded, as that ruins the spring steel. Some have tungsten carbide tips fitted on them, but I guess that's a luxury.
So have a go at home-building one.
Mobile radio antenna rods are a couple of mm thick and springy steel. These come in typical lengths of about 30" (for CB antennas), and can be picked up at most truckstops or ham radio shops (not that theres many of those anymore!). I use an antenna rod Araldited into a wooden file handle. ::g

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks Martin B.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:49 pm

If you fish, how about a rod rest ?
Good Luck ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

targets

Post by targets » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:01 pm

I made one up using 6 feet of half inch steel rod from a metals dealer and a fork handle on the other end...I had to put a small pin through the rod and handle to keep it in place..other end is pointed by filing it
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

amphora

Post by amphora » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Made one myselve.
It is so simple (if you can weld, or no someone who can).

Here you'll find a simple drawing of the construction.
Specialy made for you. Good luck with it. ::g

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=90248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck hunting.

Dakaras

Post by Dakaras » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 pm

https://theflatpack.co.uk/product/mole- ... cba1185463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mole probe maybe?

Tankerd

Post by Tankerd » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi I bought a stop tap key ( water ) of ebay cut the key end of and grinded a sharp point on the end. Works a treat.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 pm

syzygy wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:40 pm
Fusion wrote:Shove it in the ground and listen for a distinctive noise that a lump of glass makes. Then dig a hole as deep asthe probe was. In essence.
Bit too technical for me. x;
Hi 'syzygy' - The 'probe' being referred to is a device used by 'Bottle/Dump Diggers'. If you're wondering how a piece of glass makes a 'distinctive noise'......when searching for a potential Victorian/Edwardian 'Rubbish Tip' the probe is used to test the in earth to several feet deep.

When said rod/probe encounters the quarry (glass/pottery) the distinctive 'squeaky' sound referred to by 'Fusion' is heard. ::g 'Bottle digging' can quickly develop into an obsession/passion. requiring a lot of storage space (not to mention a high degree of understanding on the part of 'the other half'! ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

amphora

Post by amphora » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 pm
When said rod/probe encounters the quarry (glass/pottery) the distinctive 'squeaky' sound referred to by 'Fusion' is heard.
Don't forget the 'feel'. If your rod is good you will feel even the slightest change. You will even feel differentiation of soil on different depths.
You will feel were once was digged, or not. And how deep. And if there was burried something and you hit it you will definatly feel it. Not even hard items, but also softer ones like lether, wood, and if experienced cloths. Big objects, but even small ones you will feel.

There's the power of a probe. You will feel everything.

Try it with a screwdriver for the experience.
Btw, a screwdriver also is a great probe. Ever heard of the Garrett Treasure Probe? ;)
Good luck hunting.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:31 pm

amphora wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 am
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 11:48 pm
When said rod/probe encounters the quarry (glass/pottery) the distinctive 'squeaky' sound referred to by 'Fusion' is heard.
Don't forget the 'feel'. If your rod is good you will feel even the slightest change. You will even feel differentiation of soil on different depths.
You will feel were once was digged, or not. And how deep. And if there was burried something and you hit it you will definatly feel it. Not even hard items, but also softer ones like lether, wood, and if experienced cloths. Big objects, but even small ones you will feel.

There's the power of a probe. You will feel everything.

Try it with a screwdriver for the experience.
Btw, a screwdriver also is a great probe. Ever heard of the Garrett Treasure Probe? ;)
Thanks 'amphora' I can see your a 'bottle digging enthusiast' ::g ::g

Yes, I know of this 'all American' method of use for 'coin-shooting'! I recall that the screwdriver (as that's what was used before the above probe arrived) was inserted into the ground at the point the detector indicated, then pushed in to just touch the find, withdraw the probe a little and using a 'stirring' motion, increase the action (to resemble an inverted 'pyramid' shaped hole) and hopefully =)) the coin simply 'pops out'!! :-O

Of course there won't be so much as a scratch on the coin as a result of this practice =)) =)) I'm sure some have mastered this 1960s/70s American practice. Happily and for obvious reasons, it was never to 'catch-on' here in the UK and I've never seen the method used in UK ::g
Good Luck - Regards ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

amphora

Post by amphora » Tue May 09, 2017 3:21 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 4:31 pm
Thanks 'amphora' I can see your a 'bottle digging enthusiast' ::g ::g
Is WWII digger good enough too? ;) Bottle digging gives hardly results in my country.
sweepstick47 wrote:
Yes, I know of this 'all American' method of use for 'coin-shooting'! I recall that the screwdriver (as that's what was used before the above probe arrived) was inserted into the ground at the point the detector indicated, then pushed in to just touch the find, withdraw the probe a little and using a 'stirring' motion, increase the action (to resemble an inverted 'pyramid' shaped hole) and hopefully =)) the coin simply 'pops out'!! :-O
Coin popping is a technique i already know for several years. A great technique to use in parks were digging isn't allowed. :D "I ain't digging mr. officer!" rl;

But i also never use an expencive electronic pinpointer. When i use one (hardly ever) it's one like the Garret pinpointer i gave the link from (next to the one on my detector).
sweepstick47 wrote:
I'm sure some have mastered this 1960s/70s American practice. Happily and for obvious reasons, it was never to 'catch-on' here in the UK and I've never seen the method used in UK ::g
Indeed i almost never see someone else do this.
sweepstick47 wrote:
Of course there won't be so much as a scratch on the coin as a result of this practice =)) =))
You'll be surprices that that ain't that much a problem if done carefully.
Dug up many objects this way. But as i use it in (modern) parks mostly, the objects too are mostly from modern ages.
Last edited by amphora on Tue May 09, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck hunting.

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Tue May 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Many years ago I use to search the estuaries, walking down the stream at low tide inserting my probe into the banks of soft mud. I just used a bamboo cane with a glass marble rammed in the end, it worked a treat.

Return to “Bottle Digging”