A quick bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

A quick bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm

All a bit last minute but a quick dig on this small tip with the other digger before the football started .We decided to do a test hole just to try an locate another part of the tip .Weather was warm but overcast so digging was comfortable .
The first layer was in amongst the nettles but once this was dug out it was downwards for here on in .
Surprisingly the ash layer was only a couple of feet down and the first bottle was poking out , a rather warped Bovril . Still it was a find at least and give further hope for a decent bottle .This was soon to happen after scraping away at the ash this little gem of an Amber Poison dropped out at my feet .
amber poison unclean.jpg
There were a few more heartbreakers , two being codd bottles but no matter , one day I will get one off this tip .

Next out was another Fields ink , this being smaller than the one I dug the other day and another welcome sight .
amber poison cleaned.jpg
Soon it was time to go but not bad for an hour or so and when backfilling the hole level , in amongst the spoil was the clay pipe stem .

Back on friday for a lunchtime dig so we are hopeful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Re: A quick bottle dig

Post by fred » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Poisons are always nice and the inks are a bit unusual. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Yes I also like the inks, in particular the unusual examples of the 'penny inks' which sometimes can be found in the design of ships with funnels and pen-rests on each side. Well done and Good Luck with your post football continuation. Extra time at the mo :-SS :-SS ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 pm

That’s nice Paul. The reds come in all shades, don’t they. Is that red for danger ?
The Fields ink bottles are like buses, wait ages for one and along come two :D
Best of luck next time out.

Return to “Bottle Digging”