couple of hours bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

couple of hours bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm

My metal detecting permission will not be available for me for another couple of weeks so to feed the passion for a good hunt I managed to nab another couple of hours on the "bridle" tip this afternoon before tea .
The weather once again was kind this afternoon and September is a favourite month to be out in the fields and enjoying the surroundings with the added bonus of the warm sunshine .Unfortunately my digging buddy was unavailable and as this is a shallow tip I was quite happy to go it alone and try a fresh spot not too far way from the last visit .

As I made my way crunching through the bracken and knee high stinging nettles which border the edge of the tip I spooked a Hawk . I dont know who was more surprised , the bird or me , it had seen me first no doubt and normally it is the Pheasants that suddenly spring up out of nowhere giving you a near heart attack , this bird did just that . It was a Sparrowhawk clutching what appeared to be the remains of its meal and as I neared the spot it was evident that he was obviously enjoying his lunch going by the pile of freshly plucked wood pigeon feathers spread in a neat pile .
Getting out in the field gives us the opportunity to witness such magical events and despite Sparrowhawks making a comeback , they are usually so fast and nimble you most often just get a glimpse as it disappears into the safety of a copse .

After that little bit of excitement I chose my spot and soon had a fair decent bit of depth after half hours worth of digging . The very first find was the spiked clay pipe bowl , never found one like this before so that was a decent find . With this tip the best approach is to root about with the fork as not all the tip has a seam found on most Victorian tips . There had been a little bit of burning at one end of the tip with some bottle completely warped beyond recognition but further down where I was digging it peters out and was just used to dump excess rubbish from all manner of crockery , bottles ,
and a few odd ginger beers then soiled over .
Today was ink bottle day and we find quite a number of them so it is no huge surprise but nice all the same especially the stoneware penny inks etc . I had a number of mineral water bottles but most were sick or cracked and the ever present Sauce bottles .
wednesday finds cleaned.jpg
I didn't have too long and was also mindful that the landowner likes to see it tidied up so with an hour left at my disposal I continued to dig down a bit further .Most of the items are household rubbish and the pepper pot was an unusual one as most of these are broken but this one was whole .Soon a couple more inks came my way and then a plain green bottle , a nice design and despite it lacking any embossing it was a nice colour and most like this are usually clear and I tend to leave them as they are almost as common as sauce bottles .

It was almost time to go so the customary "caving " in the sides does at times throw up a few good items and the last ditch attempt proved fruitful when the back end of the white Virol was poking out of the wall . At first I thought perhaps it was just a plain jar or worse broken but it was in top condition and this never ceases to amaze me that something like this which has been underground for a 100 years or more can survive and be almost as good as new .
wednesday cleaned.jpg
wednesday pipe bowl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oxgirl36

Re: couple of hours bottle dig

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Great story, as usual ::g love that brown bobbly glass bottle, very pretty :D
XP Deus
10 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 2 so far in 2018 :-L

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

I’m always amazed at the realy lovely glass and pottery you find. As you say, in the ground for 100 years and come out without a scratch.
I particularly like the brown bumpy one. I can remember Virol from when I was little. Not in a jar like that though. My Nan used to give me a teaspoon of the stuff every morning, ugh ! I s’pose back then, just after the War, natural sauces of vitamins were scarce. It was s’posed to be good for you !
I saw a poison bottle on Bargain Hunt a few days ago and wondered if you’d every seen one like it. It was enormous, clear glass, with POISON on it. They bought it £50 and it sold for £14, I think.
Well done on finding some very nice ‘keepers’ again ::g

p.s. love the recount of the mornings adventures. :D

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 pm
Great story, as usual ::g love that brown bobbly glass bottle, very pretty :D
I have had just this one from this tip , they usually have " Not to be Taken " across the shoulder but this one is plain with no wording or serial numbers . It is a nice golden amber colour , not bad looking bottles .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm
I’m always amazed at the realy lovely glass and pottery you find. As you say, in the ground for 100 years and come out without a scratch.
I particularly like the brown bumpy one. I can remember Virol from when I was little. Not in a jar like that though. My Nan used to give me a teaspoon of the stuff every morning, ugh ! I s’pose back then, just after the War, natural sauces of vitamins were scarce. It was s’posed to be good for you !
I saw a poison bottle on Bargain Hunt a few days ago and wondered if you’d every seen one like it. It was enormous, clear glass, with POISON on it. They bought it £50 and it sold for £14, I think.
Well done on finding some very nice ‘keepers’ again ::g

p.s. love the recount of the mornings adventures. :D
you would be amazed at what is left behind on some of the tips . I liken the ratio of good finds to being not too dissimilar to a days detecting , 90% rubbish and 10% keepers . Victorian tips always throw up some good finds as opposed to later tips but you do have to wade through a lot of rubbish and also bottles which you have dug on previous occasions .
The stoneware items are always nice to find but along the way there are plenty of broken ones which are always a shame .

fred

Post by fred » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:39 am

As always great finds. You get them cleaned up very nicely indeed. ::g

I saw my first amber lipped R Whites Codd bottle the other day. Unfortunately it came out of the sea and was a bit cloudy.
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 am

Keep going kenleyboy ::g
Petrol blue Lysol next trip
:)
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Great write up and photos.
Had a few of those heart stopping pheasant moments in years gone by.
Like the pepper pot and anything with advertising on it.
Your posts transport me back to the late 70`s, where if we had the internet etc, could have made a lot more of a bottle site rather than just surface picking.
Cheers, ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm
Great write up and photos.
Had a few of those heart stopping pheasant moments in years gone by.
Like the pepper pot and anything with advertising on it.
Your posts transport me back to the late 70`s, where if we had the internet etc, could have made a lot more of a bottle site rather than just surface picking.
Cheers, ::g
Dave
I started way back in late 70s then interest faded away but still dabbled here and there . There were a lot more places to go back then and I think I walked away from it at the wrong time when it was at its peak .

Return to “Bottle Digging”