Found a new dump

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
Raptorman

Found a new dump

Post by Raptorman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Well I have found myself a new dump and it looks to be totally undug. I had a exploratory dig yesterday and everything I have found so far has been 40's-50's in date but there is a mixed rubble and clay cap about a foot thick on top then a 2 foot layer of the modern rubbish then another hard clay cap so I am hoping the deeper I go will produce older stuff.

Lowland

Re: Found a new dump

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Yehaa
That’s excellent raptorman.
Hope it works out to be Georgian on the bottom.
::g ::g ::g
Cheers
Rory
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Lowland wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Yehaa
Cheers
Rory
Trouble is it covers a huge area and is approx 15-20ft high, I am exploring on the bottom edge of it and digging into the banking. It's going to be a labour of love to be honest but I am happy to take my time.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Lowland wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Yehaa
Cheers
Rory
Trouble is it covers a huge area and is approx 15-20ft high, I am exploring on the bottom edge of it and digging into the banking. It's going to be a labour of love to be honest but I am happy to take my time.
Steady as she goes!
Very best of luck
::g

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Well, I have had two digs now and it is hard going. There is a top clay cap of around 3 feet in depth and then around 1 foot of ash and general fifties rubbish and then below that there is another clay cap of as yet unknown depth. I am working into the base of the dump from the side with about 10-12 feet above me on the hillside.

Everything so far has been modern between 1940-60 including lots of paste jars, a PepsiCola bottle, and various other bland screw top pieces. It's definitely a long term project as it covers a big area.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:32 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:04 pm
Well, I have had two digs now and it is hard going. There is a top clay cap of around 3 feet in depth and then around 1 foot of ash and general fifties rubbish and then below that there is another clay cap of as yet unknown depth. I am working into the base of the dump from the side with about 10-12 feet above me on the hillside.

Everything so far has been modern between 1940-60 including lots of paste jars, a PepsiCola bottle, and various other bland screw top pieces. It's definitely a long term project as it covers a big area.
Hi,
It’s hard to keep motivated digging through the fifties!
going in low on the banking and keeping it open about you sounds like a plan ::g
Keep at it-some good evengreat finds can come out of tips of that era....
Think Shop and shed clearouts.
Once found 20 odd early galvanised milk bottle crates on top of a dump like that.
They were like hot cakes after a spruce up ::g
Cheers
Rory
::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 pm

I know this is going to upset you bottle diggers but this afternoon I was in the garden when I heard it ! The unmistakeable sound of glass bottles being banged and smashed into each other.
The owners of the farmhouse on the other side of the lane are doing major excavations, what for I haven’t a clue but it involves levelling out. They’ve been at it on and off for weeks.
I know from previous research the original part of this farmhouse goes way back and was mentioned in records dated 1600’s. It has never been unoccupied.
Today there was a big digger picking up and dropping into a 15 ton dumpster. They’ve been rumbling along the lane at each stage, lost count of how many. I can only imagine what might have been in that lot :-O

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 pm
I know this is going to upset you bottle diggers but this afternoon I was in the garden when I heard it ! The unmistakeable sound of glass bottles being banged and smashed into each other.
The owners of the farmhouse on the other side of the lane are doing major excavations, what for I haven’t a clue but it involves levelling out. They’ve been at it on and off for weeks.
I know from previous research the original part of this farmhouse goes way back and was mentioned in records dated 1600’s. It has never been unoccupied.
Today there was a big digger picking up and dropping into a 15 ton dumpster. They’ve been rumbling along the lane at each stage, lost count of how many. I can only imagine what might have been in that lot :-O
Get over there and ask if you can have a rummage about , you never know .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:20 pm

I went, I saw, I came back !
I tend to get lost in the ancient history corner sometimes. Forgot the more recent history rl; till about the late 1900’s it was a typical small dairy farm. Milk the cows, put it in a bottle, sell it local.
Yes you got it, milk bottles. Hundreds of them.

Ah well, can’t win em all. :(

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Raptorman wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 pm
Well I have found myself a new dump and it looks to be totally undug.
That is brill Raptorman that you've a new dump that looks to be totally undug!!! ::g

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V5.2

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Raptorman

Post by Raptorman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am

Well, I have had another dig on the dump and still lots of late/modern stuff. As already mentioned there is loads of clay on it so I am going to be at it for a while but thats fine as I have all the time in the world.

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”