checking out some new bottle dumps

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

checking out some new bottle dumps

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm

There was two potential bottle dumps to check out that had been left on the back burner for a while and as the weather once again was to be dry and mild my digging partner and I decided to have a look and see what we could find . It is a case of checking old maps and making a list of sites and then when time permits go and have a look and cross them off the list .We had planned with permission to go back to the small farm dump which turned up a few nice finds but unfortunately we cant get on there at the moment while they run their shoot on the land .With that in mind it seemed a good opportunity to have a scout around .
The first tip proved to be completely dug out , a small estate tip that had plenty of attention back in the 80s but we had high hopes .The bottle probe found bottles ok but these proved to be past diggers chuck backs and were plain jars and sauce bottles . A couple of well intentioned test digs proved fruitless and we decided to abandon this one and cross it off the list .After a while you just get to know when it has had its day and there is no point wasting anymore time .

The next tip was also an old Estate tip and I had known of it whereabouts for a couple of years but had not had time to go and investigate . A quick phone call to confirm we were able to get on the dump and all was well .This proved to have some good potential as the surface was littered with bottles .
bottles on surface.jpg
They were all 1930s plus bottles which were not what we were really looking for but we also knew that it had been used as a tip since the Victorian era so despite the later bottles on the surface , below would hopefully reveal earlier stuff .
The other surprise which helps a great deal is the amount of effort that has to be put into digging out these places and the depth required to find the good stuff . It could be just under the surface or much deeper which requires some serious digging . I have to be honest we were both not really in the mood to start delving into the depths below but for now a test dig was on the cards just to see how far down we would have to go for future reference.
We were very surprised to find that some good stuff was actually no more than a few inches below the surface , all good news but you have to brace yourself for a few heartbreakers .
The Flagon was a beauty as was the foot warmer but sadly both heartbreakers . These two were literally just poking out of the soil . With this in mind we knew there was hope .Shame they were busted , the flagon having a large lump out of the back .
heartbreak flagon.jpg
Lots of late stuff was mixed in with the old , a scrape of the surface revealed a mix of screw top bottles and earlier applied lipped bottles . We believe that this stuff was just tipped over the edge of the pit from the Victorian era and continued well into the 30s and 40 s , hence it being all mixed
up . Lots of broken stuff but every now and again a decent enough bottle would pop up amidst all the soil .
It was change not to have to dig too far down on this occasion , we were finding stuff no more than 18 inches down and as time was running out we would just mark this dig down as a short test dig .
The other good thing was none of the glass suffered with the sickness , it was all clean and there had been no burning at all , just tipped and left to Mother Nature to reclaim , grow and cover up the mess !
The best little bottle for me was the tall slim squared off one with some nice quirky embossing to one face , it reads " The Only Genuine Day , Son and Hewitt Gaseous Fluid , London " .No doubt a full proof remedy for trapped wind !
The other quirky little find was the copper bronze little Monkey which was possibly part of a childs toy , there is a winding arm at the back of the figurine .
monkey.jpg
Without the evidence of the bottles on the surface with most of them laying undisturbed for at least 70 odd years , there were other dead giveaways that this was a potential bottle dump , there were of course the stinging nettles which go hand in hand with bottle dumps , but also elderberry plants everywhere .There were also other odd and sods scattered all over from rusty buckets , old kettles and pots and pans , all from roughly the same era and every now and again the odd stoneware jar , all the makings of a late tip at first glance but with hidden earlier Victorian hardware just underneath waiting to be unearthed . We know for a fact that this has never been dug , its a big old pit but will take time to find our way around the hotspots but we know for sure there are some really good hidden gems in there , just a case of putting the time in to get the rewards .
On the way back after packing up , we walked the entire perimeter , dodging the bracken and thistles etc and the place was just littered with bottles and I picked up the three blue screw tops and the three green jars which may well be face cream pots . They are not my thing but I have a friend who loves the blue glass and dinky little jars so she is welcome to those .
cleaned up.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

meadowman

Re: checking out some new bottle dumps

Post by meadowman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 pm

That's a great read with excellent photos, many thanks for sharing ::g

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Great write up and great photos
Loving the Wookie too
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

fred

Post by fred » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Great story and photos - many thanks. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Hello kenleyboy ::g I certainly agree, that is an interesting account of events with well illustrated pics of the days rewards. 'A test dig indeed' - I have to say my forearms and back were aching even before I got to the end! Love the London Gaseous Fluid bottle which would make a great subject for after dinner discourse! 8-| Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Barracuda

Post by Barracuda » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:52 pm

When I was a kid we lived in Oldham near some open fields that sat to the back of a farm that sold produce we used to play down there a lot then one day after getting talking to an old chap found out that part of it used to be a victorian dump. He was telling us his brother used to dig there and had found allsorts and then pointed out an area and said if you want to try your luck dig around there that was it I was having some of that.

We used to go down at least a two or three days a week and we'd come away with some truly great finds loads of different types of bottles old Victorian plates we actually got lucky enough to find in one piece really colourful they were. There was allsorts to be had old pipes old fashioned spectacles big brown and cream pot water bottles absolutely allsorts we drove mum NUTS with what we brought home then we'd sit in the back me and my brother carefully washing them all and cataloging what we had.

By the time we moved from that house we had at least ten boxes and two very large thick polythene bags full of stuff ... which we never saw again :( My dad decided it was all in the way he was always saying what have you brought that home for so when he saw his chance he took it and took the lot to the tip .. I still hate him for that to this day.

If anyone's interested and wants to go and have a look the place was known to us as the 'Manner flats access can be gained down the side of the big old red brick mill at the bottom of Greenacres road. You can also get onto the fields by walking down the track that runs down the side of the old farm this is situated three quarters of the way up Edmund street Bank Top Mill being at the bottom of the road follow the road up go just past the end of the cemetery a little farther on on the right behind the farm.

I guarantee you if you find the right area you'll come away with some real goodies ;)

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks Kenleyboy a great write up with pics.
Barracuda what can you say. I would have been realy pee'd off if my dad had done that to my collection as well.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

Grand sight very shiny bottles-bodes well.
Fun to be had there.
Looks like definately a tip that holds a few belters in it.
Power to your elbow.
::g
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 am

The 2 items I like are the graduated blue to clear bottle with Nottingham on it and that beautiful little ceramic top.
That top is just great quality, beautiful. Is it silver around the edge ?
Certainly plenty to choose from. I can certainly see the attraction. Can’t beat a good mooch around.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:28 am
The 2 items I like are the graduated blue to clear bottle with Nottingham on it and that beautiful little ceramic top.
That top is just great quality, beautiful. Is it silver around the edge ?
Certainly plenty to choose from. I can certainly see the attraction. Can’t beat a good mooch around.

The ceramic top is gold around the edges , not really my sort of thing but pretty all the same and would have been a shame to leave it behind . There was a huge amount of broken crockery of similar design etc , all smashed which is the norm .
As mentioned in previous post about locating bottle dumps , this one had all the hallmarks as described and the stuff is barely a few inches down and its deepest about 18 inches . When time permits further investigation will hopefully throw up some more items and maybe a deeper dig just too see if anything else is buried .

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm

If the top is anything to go by you’re in for a nice find or two. Quality item that. I’ll give you 2/6p for it :D l

Last pot top I found was made of lead, no bigger than yours and weighed 260 grams. Not much of a difference but of course mine is very, very old :))

Good luck with the next dig.

Rambocantona

Post by Rambocantona » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:14 pm

There is a place like this in southport.
I know as I used to go there for other reasons,but never really paid attention to it.there are bottles and pottery everywhere.ive not been for a few years,but when i go,i will let you know the results :)

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm
If the top is anything to go by you’re in for a nice find or two. Quality item that. I’ll give you 2/6p for it :D l

Last pot top I found was made of lead, no bigger than yours and weighed 260 grams. Not much of a difference but of course mine is very, very old :))

Good luck with the next dig.
I owe you one for the little bottle you sent me . If you want it its yours . Nice to return the favour .

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Great account and photos as usual, Paul.
Like the photo of the bottles just lying around on the surface before any digging.
Must still be lots of forgotten places like that all over the country.
Looking forward to those future digs and subsequent, photos and reports.
Thanks for sharing ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”