Midweek bottle dig

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

Midweek bottle dig

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:25 pm

The weather wasn't looking too good for the week so our planned midweek Bottle dig was put on hold until things improved . By chance within 24 hours all had changed and we were back on for today . Compared to the last few days the weather was marvellous , almost spring like .It was good to be back and we had best part of the day at our disposal .
Deep digging again and the gruelling job of spading out tons of soil was our first task in our respective pits and once set up we got stuck in . With a few Tea breaks in between to break up the monotony and have a rest , two hours later I was at a respectful depth . The hole was nice and wide allowing me to shovel out the soil without being restricted and my next job was to cut a step in the back sloped wall behind me to enable me to get in and out of the hole with ease .
I wanted to get down to the water table beneath the clay capping which is about 6 feet down and this tip can be all over the place as to where the goodies may lay . This part of the dig is the most messy but using the "Potato Fork " which has ten prongs , this allows me to delve in blind into the murky muck with the business end and prize up anything hidden out of sight . The prongs being so close together rarely allow anything to slip through as it would with a standard garden fork .
My mucky work paid off with the first Ginger Beer of the day rescued from the slush and dripping the watery goo through the finely spaced prongs of my fork .
It is hard work going through this wet muck but once the deed is done it is then time to concentrate on the walls of the hole above the water level . Stuff can be just about anywhere in the walls , top , middle and bottom and it all needs searching out and usually pays off .
Once all the walls have been thoroughly searched and caved in , then it is a repeat process all over again while trenching forward .
Some of the finds .
todays finds .jpg
Amongst all the good stuff there is of course the inevitable pile of broken bits and bobs and it always seems the really nice stuff gets trashed where as the common sauce bottle is always intact and somehow survives !
Some of todays heart breakers especially the Green Codd bottle .
todays heart breakers .jpg
Crockery is almost always in bits , this does not survive well at all but now and again the odd interesting item is just about intact and worth saving for restoration . The Eastern Railway jug is one example , almost good but minus the handle and part of the back rim but collectors of Railway memorabilia surprisingly want this stuff broken or not . The other little bowl I saved for a friend , it is quirky and once again , the handles are all but gone but the bowl and its neat design is still intact .
eastern railway.jpg
The decent stuff , out of the ground after 100 years and saved .
cleaned finds today.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

fred

Re: Midweek bottle dig

Post by fred » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Well done. ::g The weather here has been so bad this week that I haven't managed to get out detecting at all.
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Hello Kenleyboy, ::g Some good 'unearthings' there. I like the GERC jug which is a pretty scarce item and would certainly appeal to the 'Railwayana' collector. I also have a soft spot for the 'penny ink' bottle with the two moulded-in rests affording a 'rest' for the old 'dip-pens'. I did have a collection of novelty ones in the form ships with the same pen rests formed upon them.'

" The other little bowl I saved for a friend , it is quirky and once again , the handles are all but gone but the bowl and its neat design is still intact." -

If it's what I think it is, (and you may know this), it is generically Known as 'Devon Motto Ware' and usually has a specific Devonshire town name within the motto. An interesting and rewarding dig ::g
Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all in my book ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:19 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 pm
Hello Kenleyboy, ::g Some good 'unearthings' there. I like the GERC jug which is a pretty scarce item and would certainly appeal to the 'Railwayana' collector. I also have a soft spot for the 'penny ink' bottle with the two moulded-in rests affording a 'rest' for the old 'dip-pens'. I did have a collection of novelty ones in the form ships with the same pen rests formed upon them.'

" The other little bowl I saved for a friend , it is quirky and once again , the handles are all but gone but the bowl and its neat design is still intact." -

If it's what I think it is, (and you may know this), it is generically Known as 'Devon Motto Ware' and usually has a specific Devonshire town name within the motto. An interesting and rewarding dig ::g
Regards ss47
Yes the GERC was a nice enough find despite the damage . My digging partner urged me to take it even though it is in poor condition .

The little ink I left behind as it had really bad staining which was shame as it was nice aqua glass and these dont come up too often .

The little Devon ware is neat and I didn't know exactly what it was . The mottos reads " strive to learn from all things " . Once again this was going to be left behind but a quick call secured its fate and will now go to a good friend who likes this neat stuff .

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am

Hi kenleyboy,
Great to see you are still hard at it-green codd is a heartbreaker .
::g
Rattly GMP- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................bliss.........................

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi Paul, great account and photos as per usual.
As already said, the Railway jug will be collectable in that condition due to the scarcity, not that I collect it or have even seen one before. With any type of collecting, an item with damage will suffice until a better condition example turns up, which may never happen. If a better one does turn up then the original damaged one, is then collectable to another collector who has no example at all of the item. Basically upgrading, recycling, it has value to someone providing the collectors are out there.
Good that you have this as a hobby to complement the detecting and something you can do when the detecting is unavailable, although I reckon the bottles are your prime passion.
Thanks for the report ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm
Hi Paul, great account and photos as per usual.
As already said, the Railway jug will be collectable in that condition due to the scarcity, not that I collect it or have even seen one before. With any type of collecting, an item with damage will suffice until a better condition example turns up, which may never happen. If a better one does turn up then the original damaged one, is then collectable to another collector who has no example at all of the item. Basically upgrading, recycling, it has value to someone providing the collectors are out there.
Good that you have this as a hobby to complement the detecting and something you can do when the detecting is unavailable, although I reckon the bottles are your prime passion.
Thanks for the report ::g
Dave.
The collectability of these things is astounding , what I would discard as rubbish due to damage always seems to find a home somewhere .
As with the bottles , you dig a good one and some time later you dig the same but in better condition so it replaces the old one and gets moved on elsewhere and so it goes on .
I waiver between both bottle digging and metal detecting with an equal measure of enthusiasm but after a hefty dig I often think I wont be doing that for a while and there I am back a week later .
Both hobbies hold a fascination , whats in the hole big or small ,it is delving into the past and hoping to find that unexpected gem . Truth be told , bottle digging for me has the edge for now , it keeps me fit and I enjoy the camaraderie between a few of us where as the metal detecting is more of a time out on your own kind of approach which I also enjoy and yes bottle digging is an all year round hobby weather permitting where as for me the metal detecting is seasonal .

clint

Post by clint » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:52 pm

I like the bottles and stuff! Before Christmas I found what appears to be a bottle dump...I only dug a little bit and found a thick Perrier bottle and a green beer bottle marked with a Wrexham trader from the 1800’s. The reason I dug was a metal signal that turned up what looked like a furniture fitting..I could hear the spade squeaking amongst the bottles!
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Another nice cluster KB ::g
Keiller's must've made a lot of marmalade, we used to dig a lot of them over the border in Suffolk :))

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 pm

A very good day there, any chance of more pics of the wee bowl? what does it say on the side? Looks v.nice.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Keef the Frog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 pm
Keiller's must've made a lot of marmalade, we used to dig a lot of them over the border in Suffolk :))
I have had three different sizes of the keillers from this tip all whole but a lot are busted but I am pretty sure they made stacks . Lots of plain marmalade jars with the ribbed pattern which seem to be on every tip . The most common and in extremely large numbers are the Camp Coffee and Daddies Sauce bottles , must dig at least a mix of a couple of dozen on most trips .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 pm
A very good day there, any chance of more pics of the wee bowl? what does it say on the side? Looks v.nice.
Here you go , not best of pics .Shame about the handles but still a nice decorative pot .
small pot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 pm
Here you go , not best of pics .Shame about the handles but still a nice decorative pot .

small pot.jpg
Thats very nice ,,, many many thanks for posting.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am

kenleyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:11 pm
Keef the Frog wrote:
I have had three different sizes of the keillers from this tip all whole but a lot are busted but I am pretty sure they made stacks . Lots of plain marmalade jars with the ribbed pattern which seem to be on every tip . The most common and in extremely large numbers are the Camp Coffee and Daddies Sauce bottles , must dig at least a mix of a couple of dozen on most trips .
Have you got the full set of Bovrils ? :D

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

Keef the Frog wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am
kenleyboy wrote:
Keef the Frog wrote:
rl; I did have , they were a novelty at first !

johnboy25

Post by johnboy25 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Some lovely finds for all your hard work 👍

Keef the Frog

Post by Keef the Frog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:06 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am
Keef the Frog wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:22 am
kenleyboy wrote:

rl; I did have , they were a novelty at first !
Haha, they end up being the bottle digging equivalent of a ring pull :))

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”