A glossy days bottle digging

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

A glossy days bottle digging

Post by kenleyboy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:09 pm

I had to abandon the workshop today after a three litre spillage of Varnish had spread itself generously all over my workshop floor , it was a mess and reeked of stong eurathane fumes . Cleaning up was a task and after mopping up 50 quids worth of ruined varnish I had no other choice but to let it dry out on its own accord , so shut the door to keep the dogs out and leave all windows open and kiss goodbye to the work front for the rest of the day .

I needed to clear my head and get some fresh air so I had no other choice but take a last minute visit to the Farm tip for a bottle dig , at least there I could work off some of the fury and reflect on my own stupidity . The good thing is that the tip is close by and the weather was sunny with a feint hint of rain later this afternoon . I am happy to dig here alone as it isn't a deep tip , most stuff is found a few feet down , maybe a little deeper in some areas but in general it is safe enough to be alone .

With Spring just around the corner the change in the landscape is quite dramatic since my last visit and it was refreshing to see the once bare hedgerows now sprouting their summer leaf and some of the trees were baring their welcomed white blossom , regeneration brings with it a new lease of life which is refreshing and soon my troubled thoughts were fading away even more so as I made my way down the muddy track to the shallow tip .

Another sure sign that Spring is with us are the fresh clusters of small stinging nettles , the plant at the forefront of bottle tips , a love hate relationship ensues with this spiteful little plant , we are glad to see them growing in profusion when searching out new tips as they are a good sign that where bottles have been dumped there will be rafts of stinging nettles and where there are stingers you get stung multiple times no matter how careful you try to avoid them . It goes with the job , pleasure and of course pain . My first zap was today , fresh for the new year and will be one of many hundreds more to come .At the moment they are toe high but soon they will grow to 6 feet or more making your journey ever more frustrating but needs must so a few stings and a bit of cursing later and you emerge slightly worse for wear only to endure even more punishment by putting your body through a few hours of soil shifting , but the rewards are there if its your "thing" .
At this tip though it was not too much hardwork and after a little probing about I felt that satisfying twang when the tip of the probe made contact with the first unseen bottle of the day , a slightly dull echo which reverberates up the sprung steel rod and after some time you get to know it is a bottle and not a big old lump of flint .Spade in and off we go but alas its a plain old Camp Coffee bottle so now its search time and not long after shifting some broken crockery I managed to extract a tidy looking stoneware ink pourer bottle . Inks came fast and furious , most were sick but I kept two back for a friend of mine . Next came Boots Cash Chemist , nice strong embossing but this was sick so not a keeper which is a shame as they are pretty bottles and a British institution , " Boots Chemist " been around for Donkeys years and they have never changed their Logo since they were founded in 1849 .

Next out was the big flagon , a nice surprise but no handle and no makers mark so this would stay behind as did quite a few of the others , I have to be picky or you just get overloaded . The stoneware blacking fluid bottle came out butt first and for a minute I was fooled not thinking perhaps a Ginger Beer but despite the letdown it will now be used to store my brushes , always handy these little containers . The only Ginger Beer was a much welcomed Bullards with original stopper and after much shifting and sifting amongst the rubble I managed two blue poisons with the tiny one having a sheared lip so would have had a cork bung as a stopper . Happy with these as always , blue glass is my favourite .

The London Whitbread half pint beer is a first for me , never seen or dug one , dark green glass and circa 1905 . This will require some polishing as it has traces of sickness but a good old London Bottle a long way from home up here in Norfolk .
fresh out the hole flagon today 2 .jpg
fresh out the hole 1 today.jpg
A few hours later it was time to head for home , the sky was now grey and the sun was but a mere foggy bowl as the dark clouds moved in and blanked out the blue and reminded me that we are still in the very throes of winter as the temperature had dropped and the odd droplet of rain was was now spattering all around .Time for home , a freshly varnished worksop floor hopefully now dry and a sink full of filthy Victorian bottles ready to get some elbow grease .
todays finds keepers .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

alloverover

Re: A glossy days bottle digging

Post by alloverover » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Very nice kenleyboy ::g

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Good effort,im picking tips up as i've found a victorian dump on one of my permissions so hope to find some glass rather than coal,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

fred

Post by fred » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:04 am

Great writeup thanks. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 am

Braw kenleyboy ::g
What’s the skittle mineral bottle with the crown on?
Cheers
Rattly GMP- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................bliss.........................

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:28 am

A great write up and good finds. ::g
How's the newly varnished floor?
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:50 am

Easylife wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:28 am
A great write up and good finds. ::g
How's the newly varnished floor?
Very shiny =))

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:53 am

Lowland wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 am
Braw kenleyboy ::g
What’s the skittle mineral bottle with the crown on?
Cheers
That ones is a Caleys , quite common but the first on this tip . Not all that keen on crown tops so I left that one behind , still a nice conditioned bottle though .

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:19 pm

A great account with photos as usual, Paul, very inspirational.
Looking forward to having my own small scale attempt later this month.
Even if I don`t find any completes, will still enjoy the experience, bottle digging rather than bottle picking, which is all I have done so far.
Once again, thanks for taking the trouble to recount your bottle digging outings in such a detailed and enjoyable way.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”