sunshine and bottles

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

sunshine and bottles

Post by kenleyboy » Sun May 12, 2019 7:03 pm

A Beautiful sunshine day and what better way to spend it in the shade of a freshly green leafed copse digging once again for bottles on the Farm tip .There was no hunting Sparrowhawk this morning but there was the tell tale sound of the Buzzards meuwing above the the green fields of sunny Norfolk . To top it all I heard that rare and distinct call of the Cuckoo echoing amongst the small wood opposite , I haven't heard one for a couple of years so I was pleased to hear it once again for what seemed an age .
The stinging nettles have grown to waist height and will eventually grow well above my head , all this sudden growth within one week . However my continual and regular footsteps have weaved a neat little path where the ground is bare and flat which has helped fend off these irritating plants and will make my life a little easier .
There is still plenty to go at here , a little at a time , an easy comfortable dig but not all visits here reward me with bounty , my last visit although enjoyable saw me give away most that I had dug but I dont mind at all , I have to be strict or you just get overloaded with stuff . My Daughter for one likes the small bottles and will happily take others for her Art students to draw as still life images , we also have our neighbours who own the old Pub which used to be a Morgans Brewery Pub so any bottles baring the name Morgans go to them , so there is plenty to share out the spoil with plus a few others who like them for display purposes .

First decent find wedged neatly in the side wall amongst the crust of ash was this little gem of a Ginger Beer bottle , Drakes of Norwich circa 1905 , a welcome find and no chips or cracks . The Ginger Beers show up here from time to time , in fact there are all manner of ages in this small tip but rarely going beyond the 30s era .
drakes gb in the hole .jpg
Apparently the demise of the stoneware Ginger Beer bottle was down to a health and safety type of issue . They were returnable and re used but somewhere along the line a batch of bottles we're not cleaned properly , the drink went sour and people we're taken ill , there was a huge court case and eventually the company was sued and the clear glass bottle came into force and saw the demise of the stoneware bottles , people wanted to see what they were drinking !

The next interesting bottle albeit what I would regard as a non descript plain amber bottle came out a little further down . The soil and the amount of time it had lay in the ground had turned the glass to what is described as "sickness" where the acidic soil reacts with the glass .On clear glass bottles and depending on the quality of the glass , they tend to go a misty white . This particular bottle was Amber yet the soil has turned it mostly blue with an array of other colours such as green and red . This gives the glass a very unique iridescence .
irredescent bottle.jpg
The Codd bottle which is on the far left is an example of the white sickness yet further along the smaller clear bottles which are perfume are clear glass but have not been affected by the soil , just down to the glass quality .
goodies out the hole .jpg
Pipes were the order of the day with one fine example with the hand holding the pipe bowl , this however is not clay but more like a resin type material . I actually found four clay pipes but somehow lost one in the spoil . One almost full and the other is nicely decorated with the Buffalo horns and the initials "R-O-B" which stands for "Royal Order of Buffalos " , a sort of secret society like the Masons with no doubt some insane initiation process with a cough and a shake of the old trouser leg and out rolls a ping pong ball or so I am told :D
A few inks and one little special blue poison , so tiny I cant believe i found it when shovelling out , this is early with a neat little rolled lip .All in an interesting little dig spent in glorious sunshine in a little quiet corner of England , cant be bad .
cleaned up finds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

hartsman

Re: sunshine and bottles

Post by hartsman » Sun May 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Excellent finds and write up too. I enjoyed your escapade almost as much as you did. ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

That pipe bowl with the hand is made of meerschaum https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum_pipe. It is stunning! They are late 19th century. Here’s a similar one https://www.antiques-delaval.com/en/var ... ntury.html

Great write up (as usual) ::g

P.S. what are the leg ones?
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 11 :D

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Very nice. Love all the tiddley bottles. :D
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Victorian Doll's legs - nice to find a pair. Doll restorer's (Doll's Hospitals) would likely fancy them ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Victorian Doll's legs - nice to find a pair. Doll restorer's (Doll's Hospitals) would likely fancy them ::g
I have accumulated quite a number of these legs and arms which look to be clay and fired like the pipes .
I save these for a friend of mine who restores china dolls etc .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:40 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

I have accumulated quite a number of these legs and arms which look to be clay and fired like the pipes .
I save these for a friend of mine who restores china dolls etc .
Great recycling, it's good to know they'll be utilised in 'dolly' restoration action ::g ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”