bottle digging adventure part 2

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

bottle digging adventure part 2

Post by kenleyboy » Sun May 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Finally after much preparation , adverse weather conditions and all manner of family commitments , this morning saw me on my way for a first dig on this new early tip . It seems like an age since I last trod the track leading down towards the woods , gone were the slushy muddy puddles and now the ground was as hard as an Army biscuit . Made walking a lot easier especially as the sun was baking down even at 10 am and I knew it was going to be a hot one , not the best conditions to be digging deep holes but never mind , I had plenty of water .

The cool shade of the wood was a welcome sight but this would be short lived as the tip beyond was a wide open area with not a lot of cover but despite the predicted heatwave , my hopes were high and so were the stinging nettles !
I could not believe how much the place had changed in such a short space of time and I had to get my bearings as the undergrowth was thick and heavy but soon after fighting the ravages of nettles and dry bracken I was soon onto ground I could recognise .

The good news is I met a fellow digger , shoulder deep in what I can only describe as cavernous hole bordered by a hefty pile of black soil sporting remnants of bits of glass and stoneware .
We chatted but the bad news was that it was hard going to find decent stuff . The place had been dug since the heyday of bottle digging way back in the 70s and it was pot luck if you hit a good seam . Literally a case of slinging your spade as far as you could manage , where it lands , dig !
All was not lost though , there was early stuff in there , late Victorian , Edwardian right up to the 30s so its heads down and get stuck in and hope for the best .

Off I went , slightly dashed but still full of hope and soon found a spot near some trees which would at least afford me some shade out of the ever increasing heat of the day .The digging commenced and I soon had the top layer off which revealed an array of broken stoneware and bottles which was a good sign despite the damage . It must have been about 4 ft down when I chanced upon my first decent find , there poking out of the black ash was a the tell tale sign of a decent jar with some fancy script .
marmalade in the ash .jpg
I have to say this is a moment you stand back , or in my case sit down and mull things over . It is a good find , I like this stuff and the hope is that it is intact so you hesitate before digging around your prize and just hope to God it is in good shape .Take a deep breath and carefully dig away and the moment of truth reveals itself . It was good , well almost , a small crack in the back but not too bad . I was happy , at least it wasn't through the script and will display well .
bottle dig marmalade and pipe .jpg
So , a happy digger despite easing through plenty of broken stuff such as these two heartbreakers . Couple of broken local Codd bottles minus the marbles however , still a good sign of what is beneath your boots .
busted codds .jpg
A few beer bottles and a couple of mineral bottles accompanied by the dinky little Boots Chemist bottle which the wife actually does like which helps enormously , I decided to call it a day .
It was hard work especially in the heat so it was time to back fill and cave in the sides and hope something good will drop out when doing so . Nothing of any note but the clay pipe stem was a welcome addition , once again dating the tip to an earlier era which was what I was hoping for , so not bad at all .
bottles and pipe .jpg
I suppose my approach is like the metal detecting , you live in hope and you either get lucky and drop in the right place and find something decent underfoot , or it is a case of going back until you do , so a return visit will be on the cards , but probably not in this heat .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oxgirl36

Re: bottle digging adventure part 2

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Superb write up ::g some nice finds there.

And I’m really looking forward to the next instalment :D
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 4 so far in 2018 h;@

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Great write up mate,
The signs are there for some more good stuff,
The nettles & weeds have certainly grown a lot in the last few weeks,
The ritual cave in & see what's poking out is always an exiting end to the day
Good luck.
Clint ::g

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Really enjoyed reading this. Great write up. Made me feel nostalgic, I haven't been dump digging since the late 80s. Some of my finds from the 70's & 80's are still on display in my house today.
Look forward to next instalment. ::g
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 pm

many thanks for this great post and great pics. Much appreciated by many. Thanks again.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:58 pm

skythepig wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm
Really enjoyed reading this. Great write up. Made me feel nostalgic, I haven't been dump digging since the late 80s. Some of my finds from the 70's & 80's are still on display in my house today.
Look forward to next instalment. ::g
The good days of bottle digging were back in the 70s and 80s . Tips were easier to get onto compared to nowadays and with so much development going on many tips are now buried forever . Huge shock to me to see how much things have changed from way back when to present day but this tip is very promising so I cant wait to get back down there .

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Hello 'Kenleyboy' ::g A very entertaining account of the day's events ::g Hope you have similar success on your return visit. (they're great photo's too which make all the difference) ::g
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

cookertron

Post by cookertron » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Why does it say "The Workman" on some of the photographs?
Today Red, Tomorrow Dead

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 am

[quote=cookertron post_id=899429 time=1526419296 user_id=17781]
Why does it say "The Workman" on some of the photographs?

That is the stem from a Claypipe called " The Workman " . It was what fell out of the sides of the hole when caving the sides in . I have yet to get a complete Claypipe with bowl from this tip but they are in there and hopefully I will find a complete one .

amphora

Post by amphora » Wed May 16, 2018 11:39 am

Although and to bad in my country bottle digging hardly is possible (no pits), i love to read your stories about it.

Great finds ::g
Good luck hunting.

Return to “Bottle Digging”