recent bottle finds

Please only post topics related to Bottle Digging here.
kenleyboy

recent bottle finds

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Sunday is bottle digging day yet I just wonder if I have already had my quota of bottle finds with some recent acquisitions from this morning.
The small local market Town has an auction every saturday morning selling a wide variety of goods to suit all tastes and amongst the second hand lawn mowers and other odds and ends there are occasionally a box of bottles .Last week there was a crate of 20 odd Codd bottles from across the County and I watched one well known bottle dealer sift through with such determination only to walk away deeply disappointed . I knew why , all unfortunately had the "sickness" , a blessing in disguise for me as I know if they were of any class I wouldn't get a look in , this dealer will pay any price .

Today was different , it was a half hearted visit on my behalf and if it was only for the fact I needed to get some materials for a job that I decided I best get down there and do the deed .
The thought of bottles were far from my mind , the Auction was all but finished with just the remnants of unsold goods scattered about the pavement .The good lady and I decided to take our pair of Whippets along for a walk and enjoy the atmosphere of a busy bustling Market Town .

I had Joey in tow , he is a handsome fella , 7 years old and a silver brindle , a proper head turner , the woman just love him . At first I foolishly thought it was me they were fawning over but I was soon brought down to earth on many occasions when the "oohs " and "aahs" were directed at him , oh well not to worry . Today was no different , while Joey basked from the attention of female admiration , i resumed my usual stance of standing idly by and pretending not to care then lo and behold , not 10 ft away was the distinct spouts of bottles protruding from a box . Not sure who spotted them first , me or the wife , judging by the deflated expression on her face I think she may have pipped me to the post . She is getting pretty good at bottle spotting , I will give her that !

I am sure I heard her emit a sigh of relief when the Auctioneer told me he thought they were sold and with that on cue the "buyer" sauntered over and picked the box of bottle up and off he went . Fair play , I thought but a bit gutted as there were three really nice Blue glass bottles and I love blue glass .

Fate deals some strange hands at times , with materials brought and bagged up it was time for home with one last stop in the local co op across the road and then home or so i thought . There , standing outside the doors was the bottle man and the famed box of goodies at his feet . The wife went in while I stood outside with the two whippets . The chap smiled and I remarked on what a good bag of goodies he had just won at the Auction .
"Oh no ", he says , " I tried to sell them but no buyers !"

I couldn't believe my luck in more ways than one . Firstly the wife was out of sight so I was free and brave , I could have my moment stress free to haggle and worry about the consequences later .
He was a dapper chap , smartly dressed and well spoken , told me he was 80 , I love it when old people tell you how old they are yet he looked ten years younger . Ex RAF and a one time bottle digger mainly dug over at Lossiemouth where he was stationed and all around the old tips at Norwich which are now long gone . I love how these things work out , a chance meeting and a great chat about his tales as a digger back in the good old days . This is the great thing about our chosen hobbies , meeting like minded people , I love my fishing , bottle digging and metal detecting , and the people you meet along the way enriches your interest even more . Get talking about any of the above hobbies and kiss good bye to the rest of the day , and why not . The older generation who perhaps cannot involve themselves so much as age takes hold always seem to me to be the more enthusiastic and I am more than happy to lend an ear , you can learn so much .

Both wives emerged , and as ever as long suffering wives do , they listen while two men tell tales of digging holes and bringing home long discarded "rubbish".

I bought the bottles , and suffered no resistance or after effects .
We exchanged telephone numbers as he is certain he has some blue poisons tucked away somewhere so I am looking forward to a meet up .

My last bottle foray was a recent find , some inks from a spoil heap , another chance find . I like the inks and they come in a variety if shoes and sizes and not too big to display .
inks on sink.jpg
cleaned inks.jpg
The nice blue "meds" or poison bottles , stone ginger beer and a clean Codd Bottle , a pavement sale .
blue and beer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Dave The Slave

Re: recent bottle finds

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Really enjoyed reading this.
Thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed and interesting post.
Never tried bottle digging as such but do have a place occasionally go to for near enough surface finds.
Remember watching an early Time Team episode, looking for Wedgwoods site at Burslem.
The bulldozer literally had solid bucket loads of broken ceramics.
Keep up the bottle posts.
Cheers ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm

That's another excellent and interesting episode of events, nicely related too ::g
Many Thanks - Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 pm
Really enjoyed reading this.
Thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed and interesting post.
Never tried bottle digging as such but do have a place occasionally go to for near enough surface finds.
Remember watching an early Time Team episode, looking for Wedgwoods site at Burslem.
The bulldozer literally had solid bucket loads of broken ceramics.
Keep up the bottle posts.
Cheers ::g
Dave
I probably waffle on too much , but glad you enjoyed the read . If you are picking up bottles as surface finds then and there is a concentration of them in one area , then you may be on top of an old tip .Some tips are deep and some are shallow . Always worth a scratch about . The inks were shallow finds .

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Great story, it's funny how things can work out. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Great bottles, great story! ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Love those bottles, so interesting.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 pm

Those blue bottles are lovely

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:35 pm

cantona1 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 pm
Those blue bottles are lovely
That is what caught my eye ! Love blue glass . Off for a proper dig tomorrow , hopefully find some more .

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm
That's another excellent and interesting episode of events, nicely related too ::g
Where did "Nige" go? :]

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 pm

kenleyboy wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:36 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm
Where did "Nige" go? :]
You should have the PM by now ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi kenleyboy
Braw read.
The crown cap ginger is a nice one
Great transfer.
This is a good read and highlights the death of the stoneware ginger beer ::g https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v_Stevenson
Last edited by Lowland on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

stupot

Post by stupot » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:11 pm

I like the blue fluted ink.....

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am

Sound like you had an interest day at the market Paul. I agree, it’s amazing how many people you meet through your hobby turn out to be extra interesting.
I’ve met quit a few, on line and at rallies. You stop, have a natter, compare notes, all of interest and on you go. Just occasionally, like in detecting you come across one of real importance. Just one word or feeling can do it.
I’ve met a guy at a rally a couple of times, much younger than me, and we seemed to conect, like we’d known each other for years. Kept in touch and then one word, a name, sparked an in depth discussion. Turns out there is a strong possibility there’s a family connection, way back. Who’d have thought that !
But to return to the subject. I love those little ink bottles. Nice to find one, amazing to find four. Have you thought to keep an eye out for old marbles. Just thinking, that’s where most of the bottle toppers ended up. Gobbies comes to mind but my marbles days are a long time ago.
Best of luck with today’s outing.

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Good story, enjoyed reading it thanks. ::g ::g
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Lovely ink pots. And I too love those blue bottles. Great write up too :D
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am
Sound like you had an interest day at the market Paul. I agree, it’s amazing how many people you meet through your hobby turn out to be extra interesting.
I’ve met quit a few, on line and at rallies. You stop, have a natter, compare notes, all of interest and on you go. Just occasionally, like in detecting you come across one of real importance. Just one word or feeling can do it.
I’ve met a guy at a rally a couple of times, much younger than me, and we seemed to conect, like we’d known each other for years. Kept in touch and then one word, a name, sparked an in depth discussion. Turns out there is a strong possibility there’s a family connection, way back. Who’d have thought that !
But to return to the subject. I love those little ink bottles. Nice to find one, amazing to find four. Have you thought to keep an eye out for old marbles. Just thinking, that’s where most of the bottle toppers ended up. Gobbies comes to mind but my marbles days are a long time ago.
Best of luck with today’s outing.
Thanks for your comments . I agree , some chance meetings have some quirky connections .I had similar with a chap who was selling some machinery to me .Over a course of time it came very apparent that we had crossed paths many years ago . With me up here in Norfolk and he now residing in Lincolnshire , it took a while to both realise that we knew each other although not extremely well from our early days in London as kids growing up .Quite bizarre that we would meet 40 odd years later in different circumstances .
The inks come from the same place you will find stacks of sauce bottles .The green one uncleaned to the right unfortunately had a crack in the side not apparent until I had cleaned it .I have never had any luck finding a good one , all are either cracked or chipped or have very bad fogging . Most of the inks are also badly marked so it is good to sort through the better ones .There is also a lot of medicine bottles most being the tablespoons variety and yet to find a decent clean one .
As far as marbles go I have only ever found one on a tip which is quite unusual , some tips you can find plenty or so I am told .

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 am

I wonder if the kids used to break the bottles to get the marbles?
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 am

Easylife wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 am
I wonder if the kids used to break the bottles to get the marbles?
Codd bottles are often found broken at the neck minus the marble so no doubt the kids were the culprits in many cases .

Return to “Bottle Digging Forum”