Is it possible to trace this Soldier from 1855?

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Cantiaci

Is it possible to trace this Soldier from 1855?

Post by Cantiaci » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi all, Not a find with regard to metal detecting but more of a family history thing that I wondered if anyone can help?
I have some letters passed down to me that were from a serving soldier at the start and during the Indian mutiny 159 years ago and would like to try and find out what happened to him etc etc. All I know is that he wrote some incredibly detailed and horrific letters with regards to both sides and may have been sent to Crimea straight after the Mutiny if he survived it? (His words from the letters)

The info I have is 1642 PTE GEO(George?) BOULTER (pics attached as maybe I'm reading the surname wrong?) OF THE 14TH KINGS LIGHT DRAGOONS
He writes No1642 on all his envelopes so Im assuming its his number? Also it would make sense he was from the London area.
Hope its ok to ask for any help in the research section as its not detecting related? :-/
Many many thanks as always!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Never give up on ANY field..they really don't make them anymore….

lordofthecoils

Re: Is it possible to trace this Soldier from 1855?

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 pm

i would photp copy them and send the copys to a military museum im sure they would be regarded as very important.........ray ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks Ray,The letters have been in the family forever and I've only just started scanning then as huge files and reading them in detail..They are horrific and incredible at the same time.Thanks for the links and will have a look ::g
I have seen over the last year some amazing research done by forum members and just thought I would take a chance regarding this chap?

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Cantiaci wrote:Thanks Ray,The letters have been in the family forever and I've only just started scanning then as huge files and reading them in detail..They are horrific and incredible at the same time.Thanks for the links and will have a look ::g
I have seen over the last year some amazing research done by forum members and just thought I would take a chance regarding this chap?
sorry i deleted the links i realised i was barking up the wrong tree and i didnt want you wasteing your time looking at them......mind you ive still been looking and its all very interesting ,if i find anything i will give you a shout.........ray ::g ::g ::g ::g ::g

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 pm

ah ha .....its not george its leo , look at the comparison with the L in light dragoons on your therd photo :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 pm

lordofthecoils wrote:ah ha .....its not george its leo , look at the comparison with the L in light dragoons on your therd photo :D :)) ::g ::g ::g ::g
Thats a good thought and not looked at it that way?.I have just had a look through all the letters and always signs his name the same with the Geo or Leo.The only capitol G I can find briefly is in the word God which looks the same as the G in his Christian name?

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Hang on its definitely George..just found this on a letter right at the bottom.
"PTE George Boulter 14th Kings Light Dragoons, Kirkee, Bombay P.S I expect to wake up some morning and find all our throats cut"

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Cantiaci wrote:Hang on its definitely George..just found this on a letter right at the bottom.
"PTE George Boulter 14th Kings Light Dragoons, Kirkee, Bombay P.S I expect to wake up some morning and find all our throats cut"
well done ...well it all helps ...it sounds like you have some dramatic and interesting letters there , do you have a town in england where he sent bhis letters to ,it could give you his place of birth ,you could guess at his age then his birth date and look through the population censors around that time .......ray ::g ::g ::g ::g

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:16 am

lordofthecoils wrote:
Cantiaci wrote:Hang on its definitely George..just found this on a letter right at the bottom.
well done ...well it all helps ...it sounds like you have some dramatic and interesting letters there , do you have a town in england where he sent bhis letters to ,it could give you his place of birth ,you could guess at his age then his birth date and look through the population censors around that time .......ray ::g ::g ::g ::g
Once again thats a great Idea..thanks Ray! OooO

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:37 am

See here for a history of the 14th King`s.
http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/famous-un ... gs-hussars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

former member

Post by former member » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:27 am

A very similar couple of letters here sold by Spink
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=14th+ ... ch&imgdii=_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could try here...they may have a record of him
http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0 ... ashire.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by former member on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 am

Im pretty sure this museum would like to see the letters and may be able to help .

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0 ... ashire.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" Re-opened in mid 2011, following a major refurbishment, the Museum of Lancashire contains the museums of two historic regiments. The gallery of the 14th/20th King's Hussars traces the history of the Regiment from 1715 and includes two Victoria crosses as well as artefacts from the Napoleonic era and India. The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry collection marks its association with the county with exhibits that include items from World War I in the Middle East, Peterloo, and South Africa. Mounted in co- operation with the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment and Lancashire Fusiliers a new area follows Lancastrians in World War I, and includes a trench scene with many of the devices of trench warfare as well as Imperial War Museum film footage. There is also a display on the Home Front in Lancashire during the Second World War.

King’s Royal Hussars, 14th/20th King’s Hussars, 14th (King’s) Hussars, 14th (King’s) Light Dragoons, 14th (Duchess of York’s Own) Light Dragoons, 14th Light Dragoons, 14th Dragoons, 14th Hussars, 20th Hussars, 2nd Bengal European Light Cavalry (Honourable East India Company), Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry, Representative collections of Lancashire Regiments, Loan collection of Queen’s Lancashire Regiment "

::g

former member

Post by former member » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:35 am

Think he was George Boulten and got the Indian Mutiny Medal
http://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin ... 8&tn=12230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You need someone with a subscription to look a bit deeper for his record

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Thank loads Bobby,Slippery and Ray OooO thats some great thoughts and ideas for me to work on! ::g

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 am

Cantiaci wrote:Thank loads Bobby,Slippery and Ray OooO thats some great thoughts and ideas for me to work on! ::g
Indian Mutiny Medal Roll :http://www.dnw.co.uk/resources/medal-ro ... ry_id=3964

Surname: Boulten
Forenames: George

Unit: 14th Light Dragoons
Clasps: CI
Remarks: Died of Fever at Jhansi, 10 April 1858

Looks like he could be your man.

"The Indian Rebellion of 1857 accordingly found Jhansi ripe for rebellion. In June a few men of the 12th Bengal Native Infantry seized the fort containing the treasure and magazine, and massacred the European officers of the garrison along with their wives and children on 8 June 1857. The massacre is commemorated in the poem 'In the Round Tower at Jhansi, 8 June 1857' by Christina Rossetti, in which a British army officer takes his wife's life on his own so that they do not have to face a horrific and dishonourable death at the hands of the rebelling sepoys.[8] Four days after the massacre the sepoys left Jhansi having obtained a large sum of money from the Rani, and having threatened to blow up the palace where she lived. Following this as the only source of authority in the city the Rani felt obliged to assume the administration and wrote to Major Erskine, commissioner of the Saugor division explaining the events which had led her to do so.[9] On July 2 Erskine wrote in reply that he requested her to "manage the District for the British Government" until the arrival of a British Superintendent.[10] The Rani's forces defeated an attempt by the mutineers to assert the claim to the throne of a rival prince who was captured and imprisoned. There was then an invasion of Jhansi by the forces of Orchha and Datia (allies of the British); their intention however was to divide Jhansi between them. The Rani appealed to the British for aid but it was now believed that she was responsible for the massacre and no reply was received. She assembled forces including some from former feudatories of Jhansi and elements of the mutineers which were able to defeat the invaders in August 1857. Her intention at this time was still to hold Jhansi on behalf of the British.[11]

From August 1857 to January 1858 Jhansi under the Rani's rule was at peace. The British had announced that troops would be sent there to maintain control but the fact that none arrived strengthened the position of a party of her advisers who wanted independence from British rule. When the British forces finally arrived in March they found it well defended and the fort had heavy guns which could fire over the town and nearby countryside. Sir Hugh Rose, commanding the British forces, demanded the surrender of the city; if this was refused it would be destroyed.[12] After due deliberation the Rani issued a proclamation: "We fight for independence. In the words of Lord Krishna, we will if we are victorious, enjoy the fruits of victory, if defeated and killed on the field of battle, we shall surely earn eternal glory and salvation."[13] She defended Jhansi against British troops when Sir Hugh Rose besieged Jhansi on 23 March 1858. The bombardment began on 24 March but was met by heavy return fire and the damaged defences were repaired. The defenders sent appeals for help to Tatya Tope.[14] An army of more than 20,000, headed by Tatya Tope, was sent to relieve Jhansi but they failed to do so when they fought the British on 31 March. During the battle with Tatya Tope's forces part of the British forces continued the siege and by 2 April it was decided to launch an assault by a breach in the walls. Four columns assaulted the defences at different points and those attempting to scale the walls came under heavy fire. Two other columns had already entered the city and were approaching the palace together. Determined resistance was encountered in every street and in every room of the palace. Street fighting continued into the following day and no quarter was given, even to women and children. "No maudlin clemency was to mark the fall of the city" wrote Thomas Lowe.[15] The Rani withdrew from the palace to the fort and after taking counsel decided that since resistance in the city was useless she must leave and join either Tatya Tope or Rao Sahib (Nana Sahib's nephew).[16] The Rani escaped in the night with her son, surrounded by guards.[17] The majority of the population in April 1858 (estimated at 5,000 killed) died in the massacre which followed the storming of the city.[18]

Rani Lakshmibai died in battle at Gwalior on 17/18 June. It was not until November, 1858 that Jhansi was brought under British control.".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhansi#1857.E2.80.931858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:00 am

I tried to find George Boulten`s medal online ,but no luck.
Closest i did get though is this
Indian Mutiny Medal 1858,
- clasp - Central India.
Pte John Stevens, 14th Light Dragoons
confirmed as recipient of Central
India clasp.
see the medal here https://www.noble.com.au/site/docs/cats ... 01/A14.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
page 13 ,right hand side...thats pretty close..they must have known each other.

In my comment above you will see Clasp -CI
This stands for Central India.
Here is a picture of an Indian Mutiny Medal awarded to

PAYMASTER AND HONORARY LT. COL.
WILLIAM FETHERSTONHAUGH
14th Light Dragoons
see here
http://www.britishmedals.us/collections ... haugh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

quote from above link
"During the Indian Mutiny William Fetherstonhaugh served with the 14th Light Dragoons during the entire Central India
campaign. His war service is given as:

Major Fetherstonhaugh served with the Central India Field Force under Sir Hugh Rose in 1858 and was present at the battle of
Kooch, all the affairs during the advance on Calpee and action of Golowlee, capture of Calpee and pursuit, action of Morar, and
recapture of Gwalior.

For his service during the Mutiny, Paymaster Fetherstonhaugh was awarded the Indian Mutiny medal with clasp for Central
India, named to him in the 14th Hussars. It was the only campaign medal he was ever to receive."

I guess Pte Boulten would have known him too ,

That`s as close as i could get tonight..you could try looking at Indian War Memorial/ Cemetary websites... ::g
Hope it helps.. ::g

lordofthecoils

Post by lordofthecoils » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 am

i see you got the bug BM :)) when this first came up i sent a pm to cantiaci with the same info slinky later posted . i to have spent hours on this one ,very interesting ay bobby , im glad to see your enthusiasm for history like that ive got british service as profesional soldiers going back three generations four including myself,and love british army history . i recently built a property for a well known writer whos book roukes drift was a best seller , and you start to realise how many people there are out there looking for unkown letters of famous conflicts ,like cantiacis , and how valuable commercialy and intrinsicaly they are . not that i dont mind just oggeling hammys and artifacts but some of the things you learn on this forum are just vunderbar...well done BM on finding george ,im sure theres more to come................ray :)) ::g ::g ps its early so exscuse the rambeling :D :))

bobbymoore

Post by bobbymoore » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:31 am

lordofthecoils wrote:i see you got the bug BM :)) when this first came up i sent a pm to cantiaci with the same info slinky later posted . i to have spent hours on this one ,very interesting ay bobby , im glad to see your enthusiasm for history like that ive got british service as profesional soldiers going back three generations four including myself,and love british army history . i recently built a property for a well known writer whos book roukes drift was a best seller , and you start to realise how many people there are out there looking for unkown letters of famous conflicts ,like cantiacis , and how valuable commercialy and intrinsicaly they are . not that i dont mind just oggeling hammys and artifacts but some of the things you learn on this forum are just vunderbar...well done BM on finding george ,im sure theres more to come................ray :)) ::g ::g ps its early so exscuse the rambeling :D :))
very interesting indeed Ray,and bloody horrific from what i read about Jhansi.
I looked through a list of names on memorials in India ,civilians and soldiers alike,trying to find George..heartbreaking stuff,especially the children who were listed.
No-one was spared it seems.
Women ,children ..terrible.
When i found George it dawned on me ,his letters came home..he never..his story should be told.
Lest we never forget.

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Bobby.Sorry I've not replied to your amazing help and progress with this.Its been a tough few years but intending to get back on the case of George and his letters...Youre quite right..it was shocking and his reports back are honestly horrific with what he faced and found during this time. ;;z
Im sending a few emails and will keep this thread up with any info I can add.

Rivers rat

Post by Rivers rat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Is it Peckam we can read on top of the letter???

RR
Owner of a Foster PI one of the Enlightened few

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Rivers rat wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 pm
Is it Peckam we can read on top of the letter???

RR
Yes Peckham but assuming that was a sorting office maybe as only on one of the envelopes.The letters were sent to Old Kent Road.

Return to “Research Section”