Markings in Field

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
fourfourtwo

Markings in Field

Post by fourfourtwo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:06 pm

These two pictures are from the same field. The circles are about 5-8m in diameter. For comparison the green line is a hedgerow with grass borders.

Are these possible traces of structures such as round-houses? (Don't be fooled by the Google watermark between the two circles in the second pic by the way)

fourfourtwo

Re: Markings in Field

Post by fourfourtwo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Sorry not sure how I managed to post this in "News and General Chat?"

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:50 pm

To me it looks "too good" to be something as old as round houses.

Check other arial / satellite photography, especially older versions.
A bit back somebody recommended http://www.jonasson.org/maps/ which show Bing Maps and Google Maps side-by-side.

Also check LIDAR.

But my bet would be its where round cattle feeders have been (they have caught people out thinking they were round houses previously). But I hope I am wrong and your right.

Evan

fourfourtwo

Post by fourfourtwo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Saffron. Yes I have compared all the available old maps and LIDAR but the circles only show up on this particular Google picture taken when there was no crop in the field.

This picture is from the adjacent field which is marked as an Iron Age enclosure on Keys to the Past.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 am

I don't think they are cattle feeder marks because they are different sizes in the same field. I can't be sure all feeders are the same size, but I feel two of the circles are too close together to be feeders used at the same time. If it was a case of a feeder being moved to a new spot it would be the same sized circle in the new place IYSWIM.
Given that there is Iron Age activity nearby then there is clearly a possibility these are also. LIDAR isn't the last word. And ground markings from something as elusive as a round house, where there was no masonry involved, will be elusive too and only show up under equally elusive ground conditions.
I have areas of my permissions where I know there were structures, but there is only one satellite image where any marks are visible.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Return to “Research Section”