Lidar marks?

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Me and my boy

Lidar marks?

Post by Me and my boy » Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 pm

I’m just looking at a few areas I want into check out on existing permissions and noticed these lines. Does anyone know what they could be be?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2018 hammies. = 100 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Steve_T

Re: Lidar marks?

Post by Steve_T » Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 pm
I’m just looking at a few areas I want into check out on existing permissions and noticed these lines. Does anyone know what they could be be?
Thanks
Have you been to site to see if any visual ground level clues, that may give more insight to what they might be, anything on historic maps

Does landowner have knowledge of anything being there like a cattle coral or lambing pens or old rickyard perhaps or silage clamp, might be worth asking

Sorry more questions than answers ::g

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:06 pm

I have’nt A clue but have you noticed the same sort of mark running along the hedge line at top of pic ?
I have a field with, maybe, similar single trench mark. That was for the new gas line. If yours something like that they are worth a look. You never know what might have come up during excavation.
Best of luck.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Lidar can sometimes be infuriating. It offers tantalising glimpses of stuff and you can’t always get an answer. Best bet is a bit of field walking and an overlay with old maps.

Good luck ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 pm

I could have been taking drugs but I see 6 straight lines running right to left fading out.

Being equally spaced I would assume it is plough or drainage.

I did question Lidar on a thread a few weeks ago.

A field I was on had features. Yet three lidar sites gave three different results and non matched the features in the field.

I am fairly confident that if the field is ploughed before the lidar plane flies over it scews with the results.

This is why some monument and forts show up so well as deep ploughing isn't allowed.
Last edited by Koala on Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:53 pm

You could be right there Koala. They are s’posed to be accurate to a very small scale. Have you seen Ridge and Furrow on LIDAR .

Davethepaint

Post by Davethepaint » Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Just a quick question whenever I go on Lidar its allways drab grey how do you get the colour up? Cheers Dave.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 am

Davethepaint wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 pm
Just a quick question whenever I go on Lidar its allways drab grey how do you get the colour up? Cheers Dave.
Couple of links for you, personally I find the grey is more defined in showing anomalies

http://enfarchsoc.org/opendata/

https://www.lidarfinder.com/

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am

This field has some quite big features.

As the sun goes down you can see regular shadows similar to ridge and furrow near the tree. Not vertical as in the photo but at 45 degrees.

Rubbish has also been dump which has then settled leaving divets which also don't show up
lidar.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 am

This one is closer but still not right.

lidar 2.JPG

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 am

The top picture is overwhelmed by modern farming and only seen the small regular differences but hasn't seen the bigger picture Second on has done a better job of seeing the underlying bigger features. However it's still not what's actually on the ground its kind of mashed the old and new together which is fair play.

Most of what you see as ridge and forrow around here are potato fields.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 am

Again there are so many variables.

Here we tend to deep plough. I noticed last time I was in Nolfolk that most just turned over the surface. Guess if you don't need to why waste the diesel.

Depending on your location type and use of the fields will probably determin the usefulness of Lidar.

Feed stations, drainage pipes and where pig pens have been all show up on Lidar.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 am

Steve_T wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 pm
Me and my boy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:29 pm
Thanks
Have you been to site to see if any visual ground level clues, that may give more insight to what they might be, anything on historic maps

Does landowner have knowledge of anything being there like a cattle coral or lambing pens or old rickyard perhaps or silage clamp, might be worth asking

Sorry more questions than answers ::g

Regards Steve
Cheers Steve,
I’ve been all over it and can’t see anything interesting. Nothing on old maps
The landowner is too busy to ever talk, unless you catch him in a good mood, which is rare.
BUT it’s where I found my Saxon coin and a few hammered quarters.

Thanks
2018 hammies. = 100 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 1
Silver denarius = 1
Gold ring. = 0

watermouse

Post by watermouse » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:09 pm

if you look at the corner of field similar marks curve with the field..i would suggest they areas that machinery may have moved the ground so it formed slight dune like parts around edges of the field as when look across pic to centre they seem to peter out...its shifted soil by tractor and machinery.the curve in top right..is the turning curve from farming.it should appear in other corners also lol.

Return to “Research Section”