Things i have found out about and used on Farmland

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Wansdyke44

Re: Things i have found out about and used on Farmland

Post by Wansdyke44 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am

Only thing I'd add is regarding digging those plugs. Whether you dig them three sides or four it's easy to get over excited and bend your spade/trowel as BA43 said before. When I dig mine I try to literally just cut and lift the turf first - this is especially worthwhile if you are digging heavy, claggy soil. Once the turfs out you can dig the soil a bit at a time and not miss those tiddly finds! [:)
In the Zone

My Finds Gallery

Gaz 1266x

Post by Gaz 1266x » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 am

Nice read Ba.
When you start detecting its best to go all round the edge first and then do my union jack system to find the best part of the field if its a massive field,then obviously detect that best part of the field properly.
I had two occasions that animals attacked me.
There was one time where there were a bunch of cows in a field so i went in and thought this looks ok then i detected towards the cows and all of a sudden they separated and in the middle there was a bull,so i shot off jumped over the fence and landed deep in some thorn bushes. =))
The second time there was a horse in a field it came up to me a turned round and tried to kick me so i went to the front of the horse and it kept turning again,so i quickly marched over to the edge and it followed me and the horse was then using its head to nudge me along in the back. =))
anyway i arrived at the edge safely and had another lucky escape.
So guys be carefull because it aint all as it seems when you enter fields with animals in.

Gwawrer

Post by Gwawrer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

No way would you catch me in a field with an animal bigger than a rabbit! Hate cows they frighten me to death. Heres a great link to Cheshire tithe maps were you can put then and now alongside each other. http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/T ... p=EDT_46-2

I use this all the time, then google or bings birds eye maps
Its better out of the ground and in your hand for the history or monetary value rather than left in the ground to rot doing nothing for anyone.
Member of Cheshire Metal Detecting Society
In love with Mr Deus for ever.

spuddy5423

Post by spuddy5423 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm

An old metal detecting friend of mine gave me a tip to look for the little concrete posts on the edge of fields that indicate a water,gas or power line then find the other concrete sign on the opposite side of the field and walk that line. A farm i go on as recently told me he is having a water pipe layed by severn trent and apparently the trench is going to be 10ft x 10ft and he is going to let me detect the spoil before its filled in , do you think its worth doing ??
XP Goldmaxx (for now)

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD » Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm

manny wrote:My worst experience was with horses.
Oh yes, I never thought of horses being dangerous.
One day I detected on a horse paddock during daytime, found and removed some scrap peaces, while the horses did stay on the other side of the area.
Went away and returned later in the dark with mounted headlight to collect my bicycle.
Of course used the short way across the paddock. About 50 meters away from the target side of the fence I heard the noise of galloping horses behind me, turned and did see all 3 horses running in my direction.
Making noises, gestures and using the lamp I got them to turn, but after only 10 meters walking the same procedure repeated. Each time they were harder to convince to not overrun me.
What happy I felt, as I finally reached and passed the fence.
Must have been battle horses or such thing?

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Fri May 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Good to see this thread carrying on as it has such a lot of useful info. The drain clearance spoil is a really good one and any soil disturbance that has resulted from cable laying etc. I am waiting to have a proper go at some on one of my fields but the ground is still rock hard at the moment, Liam B-)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Harry Digger

Post by Harry Digger » Fri May 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Good thread with some usefull info B-)
I did a field where a waterpipe had been laid right across it.
Got most of my finds on the side where the spoil had been turned out on.
Deffo worth doing the spoilheap imho.
Roy Everett ‏@RoyEverett 1h
I'm outside Old Trafford and there's a guy burning small effigies of Rooney and selling them to fans. Oh, hang on. It's a baked potato stand.

SilverShark

Post by SilverShark » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Only just found this thread, some great info on it.

Regarding searching were pipes have been laid, I wouldn't have thought that.

The permission I have has several fields with big gas pipes going through them. I was going to avoid these, but will def be giving them a go now.

Learn something new every day, as they say :D
Hope 2013 strikes another couple off my wish list.

Mike2505

Post by Mike2505 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Great post there, thanks for the knowledge,

Grifftron

Post by Grifftron » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 am

I was just about to start a new topic on this exact same thing :D

I have a bit of a problem you see.. I have been given permission to detect on 3 farmer friends fields, approx 1500 acres. The location is North Bristol, Hallen.

The problem is that after my first visit on saturday the area is so damn large i really have no idea where to start and i really only have experience on beaches.....

I've checked google maps, the area i have is from the M5 all the way east to Easter Compton and North to the A403, i would really love it if some of you experienced (won't say old) detectorist's could take 2 mins out of your day to take a look at see where you would start. If anyone is close to me i would be more than willing to meet up, the more the merrier. i'll bring the cider you bring the cheese !!! :P

Cheers

Griff
ETRAC
Garrett Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Cider
http://griffsmetaldetecting.weebly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keith g

Post by keith g » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm

hi,i am new to this as not long had my garrett 250 metal detector and was hoping someone could help with a question,
when i am out with the detector and come across a piece of iron it always sends the metal detector in to overdrive and goes through all the different noises for different metals displayed on the controle pannel,is there something i am doing wrong or is it the same as with all garrett metal detectors,it only happens on bigger pieces of metal,
sometimes it gives just the noise of high valued coins and the odd iron noise yet when i dig the iron up it just gives the noise it makes for iron,any help would be greatfully recieved,keith.

flying.man

Post by flying.man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 am

Look to see if county council has an interactive mapping service on their website (Northamptonshire has) this has a degree of historical mapping in some areas!!

yorky55

Post by yorky55 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:39 am

keith g wrote:hi,i am new to this as not long had my garrett 250 metal detector and was hoping someone could help with a question,
when i am out with the detector and come across a piece of iron it always sends the metal detector in to overdrive and goes through all the different noises for different metals displayed on the controle pannel,is there something i am doing wrong or is it the same as with all garrett metal detectors,it only happens on bigger pieces of metal,
sometimes it gives just the noise of high valued coins and the odd iron noise yet when i dig the iron up it just gives the noise it makes for iron,any help would be greatfully recieved,keith.
large iron objects fool a lot of detectors, especially ring shapes and horseshoes etc, my 250 is same, gives a great coin signal then doh not again, make sure you have sensitivity off 2 notches at right hand side and you will get used to it,
p.s sorry if this hijacked the thread
Real treasure lies not in what that can be seen, but what that cannot be seen.

Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer

ayit

Post by ayit » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Good topic, very interesting.
As for the cows if you just stand your ground and wave your arms if you must you will be fine.
I, in my youth, was putting out salt licks for a herd of youngsters and got chased up a brook to escape, I didn't know any better back then.
CTX3030 (ROSIE) Deus v3.2( LILY) We are now as one.
Garrett pro pointer Gator trowel
Hope,luck and prayers.Large lucky horseshoe,flask of tea
My driving is that good it takes my breath away sometimes aswell!

MRSP

Post by MRSP » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 pm

have to add something to this...
today in the neighbouring field were 4 female cows and a bull.
they were very interested in me..in fact when I went near the fence they skipped over and I thought they might rush the fence and charge at me.
the 'fence' if three horizontal lines of wire attached to wooden posts. about waist height.
the field I am on is stubble
I think these are very young frisky cows..
when I got back in the car they ran the length of their field after the car!!!
do you think they might escape the fence and come after me?
also do you think I might sound a bit rude if I asked the farmer if I can go on a neighbouring field where the cows cant see me,.. I only met this guy and detected on his land the first time tonight and I dont want to take the pee.. but I am a bit afraid of them cows...
I already dont go on four permissions due to the livestock.. but these are pastures that will be free in winter, this crop field is only available a couple of months so dont want to lose an opportunity.. or my life!

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Lets look at it their way .... you and your boring mates stand around in a field, day after day after day, same boring routine, then someone comes along with a strange looking rod that seems to make noises, he stays for at least an hour, does some digging and keeps looking over at us, he must be friendly, lets all of us show him how wonderful a sight he is and go over to say hello, strange ... he is now running towards that car, lets race him, now he is gone, oh well, he will be back later on no doubt, they always do in the end, Liam =)) =)) =))
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

GREGGOWREX

Post by GREGGOWREX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:39 am

Liam...Thats about right m8 =)) =)) =))
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

traceyjewitt

Post by traceyjewitt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
philip formby wrote:in a field full of cows just take your time and show no fear ,if you stand still they may come up for a sniff of you and thats about it .stay away from cows and calf together at all times
Honestly mate cows and me dont get on ...you ask my wife....
She can happily walk through a field of them with the dog and they wont budge, as soon as i get there they make a bee line for me......
Must change my aftershave....... =))

Yeah me and my detecting pal Alan once had to run full pelt from a hoard of stampeding cows! It was one of the scariest moments. I laugh about it now, then it was a dangerous situation! :-L

Mik27rc1

Post by Mik27rc1 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:12 am

Thank you for posting this awesome advice, as i am waiting for my first detector to arrive via post,i am trying to find out all i can about this hobby, and this post has saved me alot of research about farmland. Brilliant

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 am

Good to see a classic topic still on the go, good advice is always useful and will stand the test of time in our hobby, Liam ::g

Return to “Research Section”