Review : Spink – Coins of England & the United Kingdom

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi all, I have been a coin collector far longer than a Metal Detectorist and since getting in to this hobby I have bought quite a few reference books, I thought for anyone new I would do a mini review of some of the most useful ones for coins that are found while detecting. I am not going to do a blow by blow detailed report of what’s in them, as the book titles and the pictures say it all. Dave

Name : Spink – Coins of England & the United Kingdom (2010 Edition shown)
Latest version (as of January 2016) : 2016 Edition
Colour/Black & White : Colour - High Resolution
Pages : 591 (2010 Edition)
RRP : £25

Probably the most useful book, is issued every year, typical price is £25 for the latest edition, but you can pick up older second hand one on eBay etc. However I would recommend getting at least the 2007 edition as it was the first one to have high resolution colour pictures in it, I get it every other year as there is little change between them apart from the valuations and the latest modern coins.
01book_spink_englanda.jpg
01book_spink_englandc.jpg
01book_spink_englandb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GREGGOWREX

Re: Review : Spink – Coins of England & the United Kingdom

Post by GREGGOWREX » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:13 am

On the front cover of the book ...is that the coin that was shown on here recently :-/ :)
If I was to live to over 300 years old , would I end up in a museum ?
Euro tek pro 11inch coil
The early bird gets the worm , The second mouse GETS the cheese ;)

zendog

Post by zendog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:23 am

Brilliant book, especially like the fact that photos are actual size, a great help when ID'ing. A good read at any time, useful when compiling your wish list :D
Minelab X Terra 705
C Scope CS3MX
Never enough time

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:21 am

jimmy the swing wrote:
GREGGOWREX wrote:On the front cover of the book ...is that the coin that was shown on here recently :-/ :)
same King but different coin mate I think
Lovely coin though! That other coin topic left many unanswered questions from the forum members, some top people working on it and I expect to see an outcome pretty soon, Liam ;)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Grifftron

Post by Grifftron » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:55 am

Still waiting to hear back from 2 museums and the auctioneers that sold it for confirmation on its validity, long words for me at this time of the day that !!

news to follow.....
ETRAC
Garrett Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Cider
http://griffsmetaldetecting.weebly.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.somersetmetaldetecting.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bell-Two

Post by Bell-Two » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Thank you for this post, this is what I am looking for as a reference book. I may never make it to England to detect and find such wonderful items but I still like to read about the "Hammies" and other coins of that ilk. I will have to see about getting the Spinks here in the States.
Using CTX-E-Trac & XP Deus member Dayton Diggers Club.

Bell-Two

Post by Bell-Two » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:07 pm

I was able to locate a used copy of the Spinks for $19 US shipped. I am looking forward to learning more about your coinage of the past!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Bell-Two wrote:I was able to locate a used copy of the Spinks for $19 US shipped. I am looking forward to learning more about your coinage of the past!
You won't be disappointed, there is a lot of information in there, that is a good price ::g

Dave &*(

Bell-Two

Post by Bell-Two » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:23 pm

Dave8472 wrote:
Bell-Two wrote:I was able to locate a used copy of the Spinks for $19 US shipped. I am looking forward to learning more about your coinage of the past!
You won't be disappointed, there is a lot of information in there, that is a good price ::g

Dave &*(
It came in today in very nice condition like new almost and I think it is excellent! 2011 edition.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi All,I bought the current 2014 edition about 3 weeks ago, it's on offer from Green Light Publications at the Special Offer price of £22.50. I agree, it is excellent! Cheers sweepstick47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:33 am

i pop into waterstones have a flick though just to see says buying it ::g

Jason666X

Post by Jason666X » Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 am

Hi all, just to let you know, but you can get the new 49th Edition that sells for £25 Hardback for £18 as an iBook. It's quite helpful in this format as you can have it on your phone and have it on you whilst out on a dig if you want to use it for when you find something. That's as long as you don't mind it as an electronic version and not as a book to grace your shelves!

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:38 am

Jason666X wrote:Hi all, just to let you know, but you can get the new 49th Edition that sells for £25 Hardback for £18 as an iBook. It's quite helpful in this format as you can have it on your phone and have it on you whilst out on a dig if you want to use it for when you find something. That's as long as you don't mind it as an electronic version and not as a book to grace your shelves!
Nice one, didn't know that ::g

Dave &*(

North

Spinks - Coins of England Books

Post by North » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:19 am

I have recently purchased and had delivered a Spinks Coins of England book for £2.81

OK it is a used book, the 40th edition and a 2004 copy, but it still contain most of the information that's in a new edition and for under £3 its a bargain. A 2016 edition costs £25.

If anyone is interested this is how to do it:-
1) Log onto http://www.amazon.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) Search for Coins of England 2004
3) Go through the check out and pay £2.81
4) Wait for the postman to deliver

There are also a few 2001 editions available
I hope this helps

North ::g

Return to “Research Section”