Lost country houses and those at risk - a list

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Oxgirl36

Lost country houses and those at risk - a list

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:05 am

I got ‘How to find Britain’s buried treasure hoards’ for Christmas in my never ending quest to find some gem of information that will help my research. Now this book , written by David Villanueva, hasn’t quite lived up to my high expectations but has been a very good source of on-line resources I had previously never heard of.

So this morning, ploughing through the Norman castles section, he randomly throws in a link to lost country houses. So I went and had a look. It’s not a long list but it is sorted by county and there are some of the houses that have further ‘feature’ pages with the houses history and pictures.

Then I went to the houses at risk section and my heart beat a bit faster when I saw that these properties are almost always on private ground. There are a few in Lancashire that are near where my parents live and they look like incredible detecting spots. Getting access might be difficult but hey the field right next door might not. Many of this list has links to history societies etc interested in saving the property.
http://lostheritage.org.uk/index.html
Enjoy! I’ll go back to this book to see what other gems of info he’s thrown in. I’ve been reading it for 5 weeks now and I’m still only on p88. Can’t get into it :(
Last edited by Oxgirl36 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Re: Lost country houses and those at risk - a list

Post by liamnolan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:30 am

Great research material and once you start looking up some places you will not be able to stop searching. When I was over in Ireland a while back I was able to get detecting on some pasture. I was given directions to the fields and the nearer I got the better view I got of a beautiful large Manor House. The land I was going to detect turned out to be the rear gardens of the ruined building and I spent as much time admiring the remains of the once grand building as I did on detecting. A herd of cows wandered in and out of the old doorways and arches and an inquisitive bull and I kept a careful eye on each other. I tried to imagine where the gardens stretched to, where rooms might have been, stood in the ornate doorways that would once have welcomed the landed gentry and yes I did not forget to detect around those worn steps and the entrances to the flower gardens and vegetable gardens.
I LOVE l;. old buildings, especially the Georgian era and as you walk through most towns and cities, raise your eyes to whats above all those lower shops, you will often see some beautiful architecture that has been left untouched by commerce.
Thanks for sharing, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks for the details of the book 'Oxgirl36', I'll add it to my 'must read' list. ::g As you have suggested, it will probably be difficult to obtain permission (and also perhaps disappointing after spending time on a 'sorry but no'). However, you do have an advantage over the rest of us..........
.....you're Oxgirl36! :D All the best. ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello Liam::g , Having read your reply, I can fully empathise with your view on old buildings and especially overgrown, derelict and abandoned examples. They do as you say, get the imagination going! The great thing about such sites, is they are often sited in surroundings that were spectacular in their heyday and even in their ruins, they still hold a special attraction for me.
Nothing nicer! ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:46 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm
Thanks for the details of the book 'Oxgirl36', I'll add it to my 'must read' list. ::g As you have suggested, it will probably be difficult to obtain permission (and also perhaps disappointing after spending time on a 'sorry but no'). However, you do have an advantage over the rest of us..........
I could argue with you but i’ve just bagged an amazing new permission this morning whilst walking my dogs. I’m beaming!!!

P.s. this book isn’t as good as I thought it would be so i’d add it to one to borrow not buy :E
Last edited by Oxgirl36 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XP Deus

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Liam, you are spot on. It’s a bit like those certain fields you see that just have an aura about them. With some houses it’s exactly the same and I can’t stop myself smiling when I see them. I love Georgian but it’s 18th century or earlier than are my special favourites.

And lucky you, I’d love to detect round a derelict house as never had the chance ::g
XP Deus

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:02 pm

I have the same book, curiosity got the better of me and i acquired one a little while ago, i'm not too enamored by it..............but as you say there is some useful information within.

Followed up some info on the very link you posted, it led to other links and was able to find the most up-to date info on a couple of properties, and interestingly some properties have been rebuilt after either being destroyed or left to go to ruin, one in particular that i was researching had been rebuilt in a totally different style and is under new ownership and I know from first hand because my work took me onto the land in question, to be able to detect on it i have two hopes, Bob and No (well it was rude not to ask)

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:48 pm

What a great resource, Oxgirl, just had a scroll through the list, really interesting especially with all the dates and reasons why thrown in.
Looking for disappeared buildings online is something I enjoy but only being using the NLS geo ref side by side maps back as far as late Victorian.
5 min walk from me along the riverside are a few mature apple trees, which supply an abundance of windfalls and picks, ideal for a jumble crumble or several over the winter. Always thought this must have been a garden, anyway through the old maps, these were workers cottages that belonged to a farm. Alas it is in a local wildlife conservation area, so no detecting.
Also found another disappeared building that transpired to be an old pub that disappeared in the early 20th C, dreaming of a bottle dump , odd coin or more. Turned out the area is owned by an Estate, no detecting. Have also found a couple of other places without being able to detect there.
Could be a good reference base for a new Historical or Detecting based TV Series.
Well spotted and Thank You for sharing ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 pm

Great post Oxgirl,
I remember trying to get permission where a now gone big house & surrounding fields was, the owner was a baron & a frightening miserable bloke, the request was followed by a big NO!
A few years past & then we ended up working with a builder doing the rewiring of the owners farmhouse,
Him & his wife were actually quite nice & came round to the idea of finding out more about the history of the estate,
Over the years we shared some good finds with them,
Lovely big silver coins mostly milled type but some big hammies too, some of the best condition copper coins due to nice soil, jewellery, lots of shoe buckles, livery buttons etc & also found the ice house & bottle dump,
So always worth a look round & trying to find clues to work out what was where,
Dad showed me a long sudden drop down ditch & a grown over fallen stone wall said it was an old ha ha wall to keep animals out the main house lawns & gardens,
also showed me plants & trees not natural to this country & so must have been brought in during landscaping of the main gardens, this is where most of the good finds came from, so always worth a walk around for a while before you get the detector out, just to get a feeling of what was there before.
Clint ::g

brianc

Post by brianc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm

There is always another dimension to metal detecting Clint and well observed.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:42 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:46 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
i’ve just bagged an amazing new permission this morning whilst walking my dogs. I’m beaming!!!

P.s. this book isn’t as good as I thought it would be so i’d add it to one to borrow not buy :E
Thanks so much, you've just reminded me that despite having been here for a year now, I still haven't managed to secure a local permission! :( :(

Jesting of course! It's very good news and I hope it proves to be productive from the outset -
Be lucky ::g ::g Regards ss47

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
sweepstick47 wrote:
i’ve just bagged an amazing new permission this morning whilst walking my dogs. I’m beaming!!!

Thanks so much, you've just reminded me that despite having been here for a year now, I still haven't managed to secure a local permission! :( :(

Jesting of course! It's very good news and I hope it proves to be productive from the outset -
Borrow a dog if you don’t have one (preferably a friendly one ;) ) and it’s easy ::g
XP Deus

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:51 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:42 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:

Borrow a dog if you don’t have one (preferably a friendly one ;) ) and it’s easy ::g
Yes, we've a dog, she's a 'Labradoodle' - Polly, short for 'Pollydoodle' ::g ss47

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 pm

A bit of a story, but it has a connection with this post and I hope it will be of interest to others.

I have been detecting the grounds around a manor (35 acres of pasture) for the last three years. The house has a large walled garden, but that belongs to the owner of the manor house itself.

It has had a rich history from the 12th century up until it burnt down in the early 20th century. The residences over the years have included an admiral and in the 18th century ‘the speaker’ of the House of Commons was the owner. Shortly after the fire it was rebuilt and remains a large fine building, now converted into apartments, which are let out.

Today I had a phone call from the owner of the surrounding land, he thanked me for the display I had made up and went on to say his wife had had the farrier out and the horse has already shed the shoe in the muddy paddock, would I mind locating it. No problem I will be down on Monday, he then explained that he has just purchased the manor itself and thought I might be interested in searching the garden? Well, I did not see that one coming, great result.

I mentioned that the manor has appeared (through a link) on a large metal detecting forum and he could experience an influx of enquiries, funny you should say that he said, I have had two phone calls today. He went on to explain that he had turned them down and one of them was not happy and had become rather rude. I did point out that I would not have a problem with others on the site. He said he would rather not but if I wanted to bring a mate or two along I could.

This for me was the reward from showing him all the finds, giving him a written report and presenting the best finds in a display for his office (included in the display are some high quality artifacts), there Is a method in my madness, as he is one of the largest contractors in the area and has a steady flow of farmers and landowners through his office.

I will report back when I have searched the garden, although I am anticipating a large amount of molten roof lead, but who knows.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm

john Colin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:45 pm
A bit of a story, but it has a connection with this post and I hope it will be of interest to others.

I have been detecting the grounds around a manor (35 acres of pasture) for the last three years. The house has a large walled garden, but that belongs to the owner of the manor house itself.

It has had a rich history from the 12th century up until it burnt down in the early 20th century. The residences over the years have included an admiral and in the 18th century ‘the speaker’ of the House of Commons was the owner. Shortly after the fire it was rebuilt and remains a large fine building, now converted into apartments, which are let out.

Today I had a phone call from the owner of the surrounding land, he thanked me for the display I had made up and went on to say his wife had had the farrier out and the horse has already shed the shoe in the muddy paddock, would I mind locating it. No problem I will be down on Monday, he then explained that he has just purchased the manor itself and thought I might be interested in searching the garden? Well, I did not see that one coming, great result.

I mentioned that the manor has appeared (through a link) on a large metal detecting forum and he could experience an influx of enquiries, funny you should say that he said, I have had two phone calls today. He went on to explain that he had turned them down and one of them was not happy and had become rather rude. I did point out that I would not have a problem with others on the site. He said he would rather not but if I wanted to bring a mate or two along I could.

This for me was the reward from showing him all the finds, giving him a written report and presenting the best finds in a display for his office (included in the display are some high quality artifacts), there Is a method in my madness, as he is one of the largest contractors in the area and has a steady flow of farmers and landowners through his office.

I will report back when I have searched the garden, although I am anticipating a large amount of molten roof lead, but who knows.
Congratulations ::g You get back what you put in. Gawd was it this link that caused the phone calls??? Sorry :E
XP Deus

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:16 pm

May just be a coincident, I am looking at one of the manors on the link and may approach the owners in the future, no need to apologise, a great resource, I just don't understand the attitude of some people, permissions have to be nurtured and a trust will developed.

owdgit

Post by owdgit » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm

i once went to the Brogyntyn Hall Estate, in Oswestry, Shropshire to do some photography. a really stunning, and pretty derelict manor house. large grounds, a lake and an orchard all by the house.
while i was there i got confronted by a rather angry fellow who lives in what was the stable block. he demanded to know what i was doing and i explained that i was simply taking pictures and that i traveled all over the country doing it.
i think once he was satisfied that i wasnt trying to get in he calmed down eventually saying take as many as you like.
my mistake was that i had strayed from the public path that runs by the side of the house and was stood on the front lawn. not that it looked like a lawn, not seen a mower for years i suppose.
that would be an awesome place to detect, but going off the reception i initially got just by pointing a camera at it i dont think ill be headed there any time soon.
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
Nel Snake
Whites Bulleseye TRX
Pro Evolution spade and trowel.
limited patience at times.

Return to “Research Section”