Drovers roads

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Bargeman

Drovers roads

Post by Bargeman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm

some interesting information here..

http://www.localdroveroads.co.uk/oxon/

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Swany

Re: Drovers roads

Post by Swany » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Nice one mate..
One of my best permissions is a Drove Road ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Our local history society had a very interesting talk from Bruce Smith, the author of this site, last year and if you ever get a chance to hear him talk about the Drovers Roads its well worth it.

This site actually lists only a small number of the drovers roads that were used in the olden days. If you read the "Recognising the Routes" section and other online resources on the drovers roads you may well identify others in your area.

Even if detecting them fails to find that elusive hoard you will still learn more about your local area.

Evan

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks Kevin, great link ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

cammann

Post by cammann » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 am

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm
some interesting information here..

http://www.localdroveroads.co.uk/oxon/

BM [:)
Thanks, Bargeman, what a really informative site. Thoroughly enjoyable reading.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

poly

Post by poly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am

An excellent link to an extremely informative website.

Thank you very much.
XP Deus user.

All the gear but no idea !

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks Kev, there are quite a few around, they were very wide and lots have been narrowed over the years by field encroaching onto them, hedges grow and lost forever.

Many routes lead to market towns or capitals, lots of overnight rest points too, first used as general travel paths possibly

Potential of a wide age of finds from over the years

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

targets

Post by targets » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:07 pm

many have been worn down thru traffic of carts and easy to spot
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

stanslad

Post by stanslad » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Good info there, well done BM,
One of the fields I search about a mile or two south of Banbury is called drovers rest on the old farmers field maps in his study,
They would rest, water & graze the animals for a day or two to put a bit of weight back on them after all that walking, then give them a scrub & brush down to make them look better before the short last walk to Banbury market.
Another permission had a derelict very old fallen down thatched building that was a drovers inn from as far back as the 16th century, where bridleways & footpaths all meeting together, the hedges were much wider than the paths & two big ponds for drinking, plenty of finds like coins, lots of buckles, a few rings & loads of crotal bells, with some nice pottery & clay pipe bowls all over the fields,
One of my favourite places.
Clint ::g

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 pm

That reminds me, I need to finish a book which I started to read last year about droving. I have an old droving road which follows a ridge on a permission, though below it on the flat where there are several obvious verges of narrow fields by the now main road there are no record of such. My best find was a 17th century horseshoe though no ox shoes yet.
The drovers always camped near a water source and ideally an inn. It is said that they put boots on geese to cover greater distance. The drove masters carried a lot of cash returning home from market, so possibly a bit of gold was lost. :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 am

Some nice informaion on this page as well giving some indication of the numbers of animals that were moved along the drovers roads http://www.britishlandscape.org/reading ... f88f-7.htm
There are several other articles on this site that could interest people including one on Deserted Medieval Village.

Interesting that Easylife said about the ridgeway on his permission as this article says "Cattle drovers steered clear of the settled population; for most of their length, routes ran over isolated ridgeways and kept away from villages, a strategy which had the added benefit of avoiding hefty turnpike fees and delays."

Stanslad is also spot on when he says "They would rest, water & graze the animals for a day or two to put a bit of weight back on them after all that walking, then give them a scrub & brush down to make them look better before the short last walk to Banbury market.", this obviously applied to most markets.

Evan

looksold

Post by looksold » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

i agree bargeman about the drovers runs but the places to identify in my opinion are the end of drovers runs or the stopover points.
when i first started detecting back in the late 1980s i did no research at all and just went out on my fields and the field right by my house of about seven acres was producing coins every few feet, i found hundreds and still can find them thirty years on. mostly william 111 and georges so mostly rubbish but a few good ones and silver mixed in.
Anyway the story goes on and one of my friends was in the local pub on a lunchtime and a lady came in (a detectorist) and said she had done some research and who owned this particular field because she had identified it as the end of a drovers run ! He obviously told her but i never met this lady although she may have called in at the farm and there was no one about. But at least i knew the reason for all the finds.
Another thing that may help you is that if you see a bunch of pine trees that look out of place for the area these were planted as identification marks for a watering place and can be seen in quite a few parts of the country.

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:10 am

This is all very interesting and may prove of direct benefit to me. The lane leading to our French hamlet is named Rue de Abreuvoir, which translates as street of watering places. In fact, one of the three spring fed stone troughs is in our garden. Also, looksold, there is a huge old cedar tree in our garden, next to the lane. I now see that this could all point to the our lane being a watering stop for drovers passing along the old road at the top of the lane. Thanks to all for this great thread ::g
The harder I try the luckier I get.

Return to “Research Section”