Paper maps .

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
Dakaras

Paper maps .

Post by Dakaras » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 am

Hello folks, I've a birthday coming up and the kids would like to buy me some old maps of our area, thing is they would like to get hold in the hand old school. As would I! Any advice on where old maps can be purchased ? See plenty that are downloads is that the only way?

Many thanks

Blackadder43

Re: Paper maps .

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 am

Do some research on Tithe maps, then find your local heritage centre and go ask to see them
I went many moons back and they got the original maps out for me on a huge table, white gloves and all lol...but boy were they interesting, they literally split the fields up into each individual barn, cider house and pig pen that there was back then
You often have to make an appointment
But
Its possible they may let you have copies as a way of making funds
Only 1 way to find out
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

I got some lovely ones from here. I just went for the cheap photocopy ones but the quality was great. For framing you’d one to probably go for a printout. But they’re great for the money.

https://maps.nls.uk/enquiries.html
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Try your local second hand bookshop.
I have a good one near me and they always have a large box of OS maps, think they are only £1 each.

The link Oxgirl36 put is a good one.

For really old ones like tithe maps you can not beat the County Archives and that would be my fist stop, but as BA said you might be lucky and have a local heritage centre that holds some.

Evan

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:16 pm

Love paper maps, something to always look out for in Charity shops, occasionally you can get a pre -WW2, that has some different info on.
Went to one of these Emporium places about 4 years ago and there were literally a hundred or so maps that had been cleared out from a County Council Land/Planning department. Approx 2ftx3ft covering around 1mile x1 mile each sheet. Fantastic large scale detail dating from 60`s early 70`s. Cost a fiver each. Bound on the edge with the ring file attachments, managed to get 4 of the 5 I wanted, centering around my house. Probably a map there for every area of Dorset and Somerset.
Good link Oxgirl https://maps.nls.uk/enquiries.html, my go to site, always using the side by side maps and then comparing through various dates.
Dakaras, hope you get the maps you want, with paper you`ll still have all the info when the power goes down.
Enjoy your Birthday when it arrives. -=+:-P
Cheers ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 am

I've used www.old-maps.co.uk before, for an historic map of my dad's farm. I know it's online, and you wanted to avoid that, but you can select your area, the scale of the map and they send you a print. From memory I think it's about £25.00 for a good quality paper print and £45.00ish for a nicely framed print. Not cheap I know, but better than a home PC printout. I went for a framed print and it's really nice and proudly displayed on his wall.
Good luck,
Arch
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Return to “Research Section”