New permission- Circles????

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
rafvc10

New permission- Circles????

Post by rafvc10 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:57 am

I have just acquired a new permission and checked it out on Google Earth and noticed two distinct circles in a field. They don't look like tractor marks. Could they be ancient dwellings marks?
I don't know. Am I seeing things that are not there? What do you think?
Thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wormdigger

Re: New permission- Circles????

Post by Wormdigger » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am

In my humble opinion, these do look like old tractor marks as the spacing between the two lines appears to be the same as the rest. There's a left to right trail just above the circles and a little jumble to the lower right too. Still worth a look though!
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

rafvc10

Post by rafvc10 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:26 am

Many thanks. I will check them out.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm

I am always very dubious about circles on Google Earth, they always look so enticing but in the vast bulk of cases are due to modern farming.

IF they are genuine "round houses" they should also show on the historical images on GE. Where as if they are "modern" they will suddenly appear on recent images.

As wormdigger said in this case "the spacing between the two lines appears to be the same as the rest." eg tractor marks.

Another frequent cause of false excitment is the large circlular livestock feeders that farmers use to put out hay / sillage for cattle as a combination of the actual feeder and where the animals churn up the ground around them will often still show several years after.

BUT you have permission so go out and try it ::g

Evan

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Moved to Research, good luck and I go along with the remnants of old tractor tracks .. Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Dakaras

Post by Dakaras » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Saffron wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm
I am always very dubious about circles on Google Earth, they always look so enticing but in the vast bulk of cases are due to modern farming.

IF they are genuine "round houses" they should also show on the historical images on GE. Where as if they are "modern" they will suddenly appear on recent images.

As wormdigger said in this case "the spacing between the two lines appears to be the same as the rest." eg tractor marks.

Another frequent cause of false excitment is the large circlular livestock feeders that farmers use to put out hay / sillage for cattle as a combination of the actual feeder and where the animals churn up the ground around them will often still show several years after.

BUT you have permission so go out and try it ::g

Evan
Also the feeder get a lot of cow deposits which means often the grass shows a lot greener on GE

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 pm

Wormdigger wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:51 am
In my humble opinion, these do look like old tractor marks as the spacing between the two lines appears to be the same as the rest. There's a left to right trail just above the circles and a little jumble to the lower right too. Still worth a look though!
Yes I agree ... though I quite understand how the confusion can happen. A great post by the way .. so a massive thanks to the OP.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:18 am

Of course that doesn't mean that there won't be any interesting finds there!
Let us all know what you find :)
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

rover21462

Post by rover21462 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:38 am

If have to be honest with you I feel they are feeding trough marks but I might be wrong .

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 am

Never mind .. enthusiasm and being positive always bring up the finds and give you a very enjoyable few hours escape from the madness of the world. Good to see people research the land in advance, very often there are visible clues as to what has happened way back in the past and you may as well focus on hot spots of activity than wander around all over the place, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

rafvc10

Post by rafvc10 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks,Liam,
I also checked out old maps of the permission and found an old canal went right through the middle of one of the fields. It's all filled in and no signs of ever existing. Probably too deep for the canal but around the edges could find something.
Best wishes.
Bob

Return to “Research Section”