Boggy Woodland Advice

Post your topics related to useful resources and research.
KernowViking

Boggy Woodland Advice

Post by KernowViking » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Evening all!

I'm after a bit of advice if possible please?

I managed to obtain my second permission a couple of days ago, and decided to give it a quick look over on my way home from work today.

I have another post in which I go into more detail, but it s basically 11 acres of woodland in 2 seperate patches joined by a raised path.

The larger part isn't too dense, and I believe holds the oldest trees aswell as an old clearing.

Now the smaller part is somewhat on the edge of a small slopey field, edged along a quiet lane. The ground here is darker and much wetter than the other part.
There appears to me small "wet streams", basically strips of mud wetter than other parts with no ground foliage growing on them, so they look permanent.
These are all angled to head back up the hill to what would seem to be a shared point just beyond the boundary of my permission!

What I'm asking (I think!) Is whether anyone has come across anything similar to this, or have any pointers?

Cheers all
Rob

Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

indie

Re: Boggy Woodland Advice

Post by indie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 pm

I have a similar setup. To be honest as far as I've gathered you're saying you're asking 'where best to dig', right given the conditions? Where best.

I've been in your boat a while! Just use the channels to confirm springs, map it out in your head and figure out where someone would need to get water. From this, especially if you map it, will help understanding any activity in the area.

This doesn't work all the time, mind. Historically it's been known that the head of a stream in a secluded point could be important.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 am

Its flat as a pancake in these parts,,, so the woods are riddled with drainage ditches .. the soil banked either side is sometimes devoid of vegetation... but not always.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

MilitaryMetalMagnut

Post by MilitaryMetalMagnut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:48 am

Some areas on my hunting ground is boggy and (In some areas) about a 30-45 degree slopes.
So all I can suggest, are some good boots!! ::g

Regards,

Simon
Best find: L111A1 Dummy (Practice) Grenade - 19/11/2015

'Illegitimi Non Carborundum'

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 am

Maybe the soil is quite shallow. It sounds similar to a watermeadow but in the woods. I'd check out the source. ;)
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:52 pm

indie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 pm
I have a similar setup. To be honest as far as I've gathered you're saying you're asking 'where best to dig', right given the conditions? Where best.

I've been in your boat a while! Just use the channels to confirm springs, map it out in your head and figure out where someone would need to get water. From this, especially if you map it, will help understanding any activity in the area.

This doesn't work all the time, mind. Historically it's been known that the head of a stream in a secluded point could be important.
I think it is!

I actually ventured inside today, to investigate the 'streams' a bit further. not too boggy underfoot actually, not as bad as it looked! some wetter patches, but we have had some hellish rain recently!

It turns out the streams are fed from a small, apparently natural pond the other side of a very old small wall. As luck would have it, a worker on the neighbouring field stopped me to see what I was up to (nice to have good neighbours!) so I told him who I am, why I'm there etc, seemed genuinely interested.

It turns out, the pond IS owned by the owner of my permission. Apparently, everybody has assumed the pond is fed from an underground spring, as it never dries or stagnates. However, no one has ever looked into it. On the oldest maps I can find, it's marked just as 'Pond', but on newer maps, it's just a shaded unlabelled area.
Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

Return to “Research Section”