Engagement Ring lost at Loch Morlich in Aviemore

Lost a metal Object ? Find Someone who can help.
Cal

Engagement Ring lost at Loch Morlich in Aviemore

Post by Cal » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Evening folks,

So a pretty horrendous end to a lovely week away with the wife and wee one. The wife was doing the Cairngorms Adventure Triathalon and I was left in charge of the engagement ring. At some point it has fallen from my person - I know the area in which it will have happened, but it had to be, of course, on the beach.

We didn't realise until we got back to the hotel at which point I returned at Mach 3 to do a frantic foot search from the carpark space back to the beach. The loss time was narrowed down and it's a fairly straightforward route, but the size of space on the beach is a fair one, based around where my daughter and I had our picnic blanket / chairs and the route back to hard standing.

I've conducted a visual search and some frantic foot and hand scraping, and also returned at night to do the glare from a torch trick, but to no avail. I think it's safe to say it's gone sub-surface at this point in time. All the relevant local agencies are aware of its loss as are the event organisers.

If anyone is in or around the area and is willing or able to assist, it'd mean so much to us. We've had to come back to Glasgow, and it's a six hour round drive, so my next plan is to return perhaps next weekend and pretty much every weekend thereafter with a Wasp II I have access to until such time as I find it or die trying. It's a fairly pricey ring, but that doesn't matter, it's insured; it's the circumstances around the ring - getting it made, picking the stones and getting the right size and all the diversionary tactics involved in that so as not to alert her to an incoming proposal (I was in the army in Afghan at the time) that make it worth far more than the money, plus the actual proposal which ended up being hilarious for a variety of reasons. My search on the Saturday afternoon / night was pretty much hindered by the fact I was crying like a child over what I'd done. ,':(

When I go back, I'll be taking stakes, marking tape and even my old issue mine marking kit that I'll be using as I basically take over a segment of beach. Even if no-one's available to assist before then and it gets pushed deeper, I'll be sure to post the details and pictures on here for interest reference.

Cheers folks,

Cal
Last edited by Cal on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beaubrummell

Re: Engagement Ring lost at Loch Morlich in Aviemore

Post by beaubrummell » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:45 pm

bump
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

Cal

Post by Cal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Looks like Aviemore is just a bit too isolated from the MD community. :'(

I'm still planning to try and get back up this weekend. If anyone can offer advice or tips or even let me know if a Wasp II is going to be suitable for the job it'd be greatly appreciated. To say things are frosty here would be b understatement. :(

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Too far for me. Heading to the boarders shortly but still would be 428 mile round trip.

erm1969

Post by erm1969 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 pm

I would recommend re-posting this on DetectingScotland.com - they have members relatively local to the area. I am near Oban and would consider coming up during the October school holidays if you have not had any luck by then. Let us know how you get on.
Regards Ewan

Cal

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:03 pm

erm1969 wrote:I would recommend re-posting this on DetectingScotland.com - they have members relatively local to the area. I am near Oban and would consider coming up during the October school holidays if you have not had any luck by then. Let us know how you get on.
Regards Ewan
Cheers mate. Yep, no joy.

Summary of events:

Tipped up at 2330hrs, slept by the car in bivvy and sleeping bag, cracked on at 0530hrs.

Got my area squared off, started trying to get the hang of the Wasp II and started getting lots of pings (making up my own jargon as I go along). Marked them out until I ran out of pegs, then cleared them.

My method was fairly simplistic:

1 - Get a ping
2 - Zero in on it
3 - Peg it
4 - Carry on until out of pegs
5 - Go back to first peg, dig with a trowel into a handbasin
6 - Check for ping at dig site, if no ping, check handbasin for ping, keep going until ping is in the handbasin
7 - Take out a handful at a time, ping my hand, keep going until there's nothing left in the basin but something that's pinging, or my hand pings and I can easily identify what it is
8 - Sigh in frustration, store what I've found and carry on

The beach is absolutely littered with small lead pellets. I have no experience at this, so I had to check every single one. By the end of the day I'd dug around 600 pings. I dug for about 14 hours straight and worked fairly quickly once I found my stride. Had a few issues with the Wasp seeming to go a bit odd, had to phone the firm to find out how to recalibrate it. I was totally winging it.

End result:

Old propshaft from a Landrover
Mortar rocket base
Railway clippings and bits of sidings
Old nails, pegs, clips
75p in coinage
Old and new bottle tops
Other misc crap.

Thoroughly enjoyed it until the end when I was getting tired and emotional and made lots of friends that day.

See pics for some of the finds. The chap in charge of the Forestry Commission tipped up, he's quite into his archaeology and told me I needed permission. I explained what I was looking for and he said just to crack on. Very helpful. Asked me to hand in anything I found so they could check it and maybe stick it in their museum - I took my box of finds up to the cop shop and handed it in. I'd made sure the mortar rocket was okay by repeatedly hitting it with a shovel. (Serious note, I am ex-mil, and could see that it was safe with no charge. The top was gone which showed it had been detonated at some point - I wouldn't have done that had I had any doubts).

Furthest down I dug was around two feet, which got me the propshaft. I knew it clearly wasn't the ring, but was just curious to find out what the hell it was.

There's loads of stuff on that beach from the Norwegian Resistance. Well worth a visit.

I'll probably go back at some point to try again. On my shopping list will be a plastic sieve type thing.

Ewan, if you go and have any joy, I'll see you right for your troubles mate. I was in tears at the end thanks to some fairly disheartening comments from a lovely lady that only meant it in the nicest way. "I'd be surprised if it was still there, the water was really high and the winds were the worst I've seen in years."

lol.

Some pics attached. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. When I'm detecting, I've no idea how to identify what it's pinging. Is there a knack to it? Quieter signal means lower down or a smaller item?
Seat.jpg
Start.jpg
crap.jpg
The bits I deemed worthy of getting handed in. The rest was literally rubbish. Three coke cans as well. B|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Post by fred » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Well done for trying. ::g

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:29 pm

A first class attempt ...

Pav

Post by Pav » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:16 pm

If I could help in person I would, but I am down in Devon, so an impossible trip. I feel the heart ache as had a similar event when I took charge of the wedding ring (originally my wife's mothers).

After a long search we had come to the point of realising it was a ring, and just a symbol and was only an object. Why did it matter so much to us?! We started to talk about what we would do to replace it, maybe design our own. Shortly afterwards it glinted at me through a gap in my vans dashboard where it had fallen (not on the beach or Carpark where I had searched).

Good luck, it Could be where you least expect it to be.

Sandtrooper100

Post by Sandtrooper100 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:22 am

I hope your op- bammer training pays of Cal. Like yourself I had a few pieces made and can understand the attachment to the ring sorry I am to far away to help or I would have walked every step with you....GL&HH ::g
Etrac ::g
ExplorerII + 10 x 12 S.e.f coil ::g
Garrett Euro ace ;)
Minelab pinpointer ::g
Garrett pinpointer ::g
X-pointer ::g
Spear & Jackson Spade
Sand scoop

Cal

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks for the support guys, it's really appreciated.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be listening for when I'm using the Wasp? I can't find any manuals for it.

Am I right in saying that the quieter the noise the lower down the signal is? Or does it mean it's just a really weak signal?

For example, the propshaft gave off a massive read even though it was well below the surface, but a small lead pellet gave off just as big because it was only a few inches down.

I'll be back there at some point. Can but keep trying. I'm looking at more advanced models that might help me define more what it is I've got under there. I wont lie - apart from the never ending, rending heartache, I quite enjoyed the experience!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:38 am

Manual has been requested on here before. Nigel at Regtons might be able to advise, he`s a nice bloke!
Address: 82 Cliveland St, Birmingham B19 3SN
Hours: Open today · 9:30am–5pm
Phone: 0121 359 2379

Failing that try the manufacturers Viking:
Viking Metal Detectors
1 Angela Street, Mill Hill, Blackburn, Lancashire, UK, BB2 4DJ
Telephone: +44 (0)1254 55887 Email: viking@metaldetectors.co.uk

::g

Cal

Post by Cal » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Cheers folks, thanks the the pointers.

Can anyone recommend a decent plastic pan sieve I could buy yo speed things up? Seen a few but not sure if there's a preferred model.

torchy

Post by torchy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi Calvin just seen your post. I'm moving up there early summer. I've saved your post and am happy to search at some point poss June's.
If you get a result pm me and likewise.
torchy

smudge.g

Post by smudge.g » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 am

Sorry to hear of the loss of this both sentimental and valuable piece of jewelry. I live about 45 mins from Aviemore and once we get past this nasty spell of weather this week, would be happy to pop across there to have a look, if that is ok. If you need to give any further details, just pm me. (I may even try to convince the wife to join me but that's wishful thinking!) :)
As the Germans might say:-

"SchvingenbleependiggenundFindenstuff!!!"

Garrett EuroAce/Nel Tornado: 5.5 hammies, 1 Medieval Harness pendant (in Elgin Museum), 4 Gold rings, 2 watches, 35 Silver coins (+5 fake), 3 bag seal. Its early days!!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Great offer Smudge ::g ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

smudge.g

Post by smudge.g » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 pm

Am just a little concerned that with so much info on the loss site now published, unscrupulous types could know where to go and look now. Maybe would have been better to issue find spot info upon request privately! But we'll give it a go for you! ::g ::g
As the Germans might say:-

"SchvingenbleependiggenundFindenstuff!!!"

Garrett EuroAce/Nel Tornado: 5.5 hammies, 1 Medieval Harness pendant (in Elgin Museum), 4 Gold rings, 2 watches, 35 Silver coins (+5 fake), 3 bag seal. Its early days!!

BennyBoii

Post by BennyBoii » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi mate I stay like 30 minutes away and could help you this weekend or when ever you are next up to look for it

mcartx

Post by mcartx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Where roughly were you at the beach area do you remember, I live in aviemore and work near enough on the loch side (just up at cobbs cafe) seeing this post has made me dig out ky metal detector and will go looking for you, not saying I'll find it but my spare time will be spent searching now as its on my doorstep.

I remember when my mum lost her ring years ago and we never ever found it

Just hope you get a happy ending

&*( Mike

Return to “National Search Service”