Clouds and silver linings

Bootneck45RM

Clouds and silver linings

Post by Bootneck45RM » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi all,
Well I was going to say we didn't go into this hobby to make a profit, but thinking about it I guess (deep in our hearts and pockets) we may have; lol.
But!
Apart from the history and joy of detecting - even in the mud and the rain: I am constantly surprised at the varied reactions received when out swinging the plastic!
I like the beach where I live and find it a treasure trove of delights - not all monetary either.
To give 3 small examples:
1. As I moved along the beach I could hear faint shouts coming over my headphones and on looking around found a breathless father shouting at me to 'come back'. It transpired they, mum and 4 kids were packing up and the youngest had lost his shiney new dinky toy! Calamity followed by tears and much unhappiness. I was shown the area they had been playing, but apart from a 2p and tent peg nothing! I spotted, outside their search area a disturbed area of beach and decided to try there - after 2 minutes - Bingo - massive alloy target id, as I bent to dig everyone held their breath, and there it was. The crying stopped immediately and dad formed all the kids up in a line and we all shook hands to the laughter and applause of the holiday makers about.
2. Same beach different area; was requested by a passer by: had I seen a set of keys, car and house, no I said. Where did you lose them - somewhere out there pointing to a 1 mile stretch of beach. Oh ok I'll give it a look I said - Nothing at all, what did I expect. So went home. 5 days later, same beach after massive storm, and was slowly moving along the side of the walled area, when another great target id - dug down not even thinking keys - and I kid you not, there they were (what are the chances eh?) Luckily the person losing the keys had left a phone number at the local life boat station, so I left a message on the phone and handed them in! The life boat volunteers confirmed later they'd been collected so another success!
3. After a good day with a great variety of coinage, I pulled up an old dog id disc, which still had a discernible post code and name on it, so as a dog lover I popped it in the post to the post code after checking on google maps for a location. Imagine the delight in getting a really nice text back thanking me for the efforts and how pleased they were to get their old dogs disc back.
So there you have it, we dont have to find something of monetary value to come home thinking what a great hobby we have. It can give a warm glow from knowing that you can help someone, as well as enjoy a search from which you just dont know what you're going to discover next.
Thanks for putting up with a long story about 'not much', but it all helps to make this fine hobby that much more interesting to me, so I'm constantly looking forward to that next time out.
Regards all
Len R.😀👍🐶👍🚗👍🔑

Go not quietly into the dark night - take a torch and a trumpet! - and cause a rucus!

bryan162

Re: Clouds and silver linings

Post by bryan162 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Great read and for me its spot on, we all dream of finding a great treasure but the real treasure is in the face and thanks of someone you have just reunited with a lost item that's priceless ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 pm

In true 45 Cdo RM spirit Len::g Great tale of success! ::g There's nothing like being able to 'Give something back' in our hobby, long may it continue. ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Barracuda

Post by Barracuda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Well done fella the pot at the end of the rainbow aint everything is it 'nice but aint the be all and end all the hobby we enjoy gives us a lot of pleasure and just on occasion can also be instrumental in helping others this being a good example of those very circumstances reminds us how good it feels to be human in helping bring a little happiness into someone's day ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Lovely post. Thank you for writing. You’ve cheered up my evening :D
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 20 8=ypr

Saki

Post by Saki » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Fantastic read. Simply brilliant ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

lonecoiler

Post by lonecoiler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:19 pm

A triple whammy of success. Acts like this can only promote the hobby, well done
Garrett Ace 250 with NEL Tornado coil.

So many fields, so few permissions

fishypaul

Post by fishypaul » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Wonderful inspiring tales,Well done

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:21 pm

How nice to know others get a kick out of finding things for people.
I’ve had similar experiences and have to say, there’s nothing, good find or otherwise that can beat the huge smile on someone’s face when you hand them a lost ring.
Well done Len, keep it up, thanks for sharing :D

p.s. as above with one exception, that first and probably last gold coin ::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:46 pm

Great read...and I can really imagine the whole Dinky toy episode.Great fun to help put a smile back on a youngsters face....though I suspect, given how many toy cars seem to get lost, that he may quite likely have lost it again by now.

I enjoy stories like this. I have been called on to help people before...including our local farmer...but haven't always been able to help as I'd hoped. Its so nice when you can manage to do so.
Last edited by littleboot on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Well done.

Our club is forever returning bits of kit lost by the farmers. Lumps of tractor and farm machinery I can understand but safety knives and mobile phones?

I recently found a dog tag on the beach. I dropped it off at the place on the way back and noticed that it had a for sale notice up so I only just made the window of opportunity to return it. :D
Equinox 800 x2

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

My uncle found a dog chain and tag and took it to the persons house as it wasn't far away. A woman answered the door and said her husband lost it years ago and not only had her dog passed away her husband had too.
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:47 pm
Lovely post. Thank you for writing. You’ve cheered up my evening :D
Well and nicely said oxgirl👍

Great read, thanks

boywonderwilson

Post by boywonderwilson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:06 pm