Not really a success...

Trotboy

Not really a success...

Post by Trotboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm

I had a call from a young woman late last night who had lost an earring in a snowball fight. She said it had great sentimental value because her Nan had given them to her. I agreed to meet her & her boyfriend in the snow at a local beauty spot. I asked her to bring the other earring, which she said was Gold, so that I could test it for signal. Well, we got there at about 10pm and after a bit of a walk we arrived at the loss site and she produced the other earring, it consisted of a small pea sized pearl and a tiny gold pin with the most microscopic of cups at the end to attach the pearl, immediately I realised it was going to be a tough call for the Explorer to find it. We put it on the ground in a plastic baggy and I swept over it - nothing! I tried every setting and even at max sensitivity I was only getting a faint murmer - no chance of locating the other one. After red faces on my part I offered to meet them again today to try with my Vibraprobe (Which was at work last night) and a smaller coil. I tested the vibraprobe on some tiny pieces of wire at work and it picked them up down as small as 1mm, so I was confident that even if the Explorer still couldn't get a signal with the search area being pretty small we stood a chance of picking it up with the probe. When I arrived I immediately tried the explorer on the 2nd earring with the 7" x 4" DD Coil - still nothing. Then I got out the probe and tried it - STILL nothing. After that I was all out of ideas, and fortunately the young lady was not present, because I had to confess to the boyfriend that I thought the earrings probably weren't even metal, never mind gold. On close inspection I could clearly see tarnishing where it had been worn in the ear and no sign of a hallmark. I had to leave it to him to break the bad news to his girlfriend that there was really no chance of finding it with a metal detector :-(

Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

zxadi

Re: Not really a success...

Post by zxadi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm

:-/ dont get it, surely they wernt plastic . :-/
WHITES DFX
whites gt headphones.
garrett pro pointer.
long handle SS SAND SCOOP.
draper mini shovel
flask & a understanding wife.
[/color]
NCMD MEMBER
beep beep, smile, dig , darn ring pulls.

Trotboy

Re: Not really a success...

Post by Trotboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

I honestly don't know, whilst I know the Explorer can miss very small gold, the PI Vibraprobe surely wouldn't. Even if it were plated the base metal underneath would surely register? I have to confess I'm baffled.
Recent finds: Papal Bulla of Clement V, Mary Groat, James 1st Scottish 20p, Republican Silver Denarius 130BC, Trajan Silver Denarius, Edward VII Hammered Shilling.

Return to “Success Stories”