Lost my Wedding Ring in St Austell need advice please

CornwallLostRing

Lost my Wedding Ring in St Austell need advice please

Post by CornwallLostRing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:55 am

Hello, im Rob, I live in Cornwall - I was doing some volunteer work on Sunday in St Austell, I was digging and my wedding ring was cutting my hand so I removed it and put in my zip pocket.

My car keys were in same pocket and I think the ring was hooked out and lost, my attention was on my 2 year old Son at the time so not really focusing on the ring and being careless.

The site is a bike track, I was working on a small section so I know where I was, I know where I was parked and have narrowed down the area to something the size of two squash courts - the field is dead grass/hay - up to a few inches thick, there are vehicles coming and going so I think the ring has been pushed into the moist earth.

I most of Saturday on my knees looking, about 4 hours crawling was the most I could do before I got really uncomfortable, basically a finger tip search of the small work area and parking area - no results, I ordered a Garrett Ace 250 which arrived on Monday morning (yesterday) and I went straight back to the field.

I did another 3 hours with the Garrett, no results - I had high hopes for the Garrett as I tested it at home with Wife`s ring and it found it just fine under the Duvet, so I though a few inches of straw/grass/hay would be no issue in the field - 3 hours very slowly searching a tennis court sized field patch with the Ace 250 - it beeped a few times and I knelt down for fingertip searches each time it beeped - the field seems pretty clean so not much to distract but each time it beeped there was no ring or object found on the surface - which leads me to beleive that the ring has been pushed down a few inches into the soil by foot or car tyre.

So im going back this afternoon with markers/twine to properly segment and isolate search sectors and also a small hand rake so I can rake through the top 1" of soil and try and hook a submerged ring.

I find the Garrett quite confusing, I watched their video and set the settings to "jewellry" but often it beeps on an area once then not again or it beeps and there is just nothing there, if it is set to "jewellry" then surely it should only beep if jewellry is there ?

If anyone is local and has time to help then it would be appreciated, happy to pay for help but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
07423 166 493

SteveM

Re: Lost my Wedding Ring in St Austell need advice please

Post by SteveM » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi Rob

I would set the Garrett to "all metal" mode rather than "jewellery" and try that. You'll have to dig everything that beeps but you should pick up anyything that's there provided it's not too deep.

Good Luck.

Steve

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Good luck ... but without stating the obvious its vital that you cover known point, from the time you put the ring in your pocket, to the time you realised it was missing.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

CornwallLostRing

Post by CornwallLostRing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:42 pm

great good advice thank you, im going back out on thursday as its the Wife bday tommorow, back on the hunt - been shopping for supplies today, not going to be out foxed by an inanimate object !

ossie

Post by ossie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Your Garrett should have found it if you passed over it so looks like you need to widen your search area.
I might be able to pop over for a bit to give you a hand if you'm stuck.
P.M. me probably best ,cheers.

Doug

Post by Doug » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Narrow the odds down a bit by finding a clean piece of ground in the area where the ring is lost, place a ring of the same shape, metal (carat) and approx weight on the clean ground and see what the machine reads when you pass the coil over it?

Pass the coil east/west & north/south over the ring on the ground and see where the numbers come out at, this is the 'bench mark' for any likely targets to dig, but I would do a quick rummage in the grass/hay to save you digging too much.

Good luck.............Doug

CornwallLostRing

Post by CornwallLostRing » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:32 pm

thank you

knotalot

Post by knotalot » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:49 pm

hi/ As someone who lost his white gold ring,I am probaly not the best person to give advice but i would just like to say don`t rule out the time between when you think you may have lost it and realizing it was missing double check inside of car or ground where you first got out etc, Good Luck ::g

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:24 am

Have a good look in your car as well a around where you parked it, may have fallen out pocket after pulling keys out to get back in car, unless of course you realised it wasn't there before you returned, good luck finding it.

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:54 am

Some hints:
Take the ring of your partner (assume its the same material) and perform a test with the detector, so you know how it sounds and if you have a detector which shows values you know, what to look for.
Swing slowly, with overlapping swings.
Increase the assumed radius by a few meters.

Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:02 am

The Ace 250 is a decent machine, so if you swing over the ring it will tell you.

I would run it in All Metal and just discriminate out the first 2 notches in order to avoid nails and such.

As Andy said check your car (assuming that was where you pulled the keys out and first noticed the ring missing) as always a chance it fell off in there and went under a seat or some such.
If as seems likely it was pulled out of the pocket with the key it might have been thrown a bit further than you are searching, so as said before expand your earch area a bit.

I am too far away to come and help but good luck in your search.
Evan

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:35 am

Sorry to hear about the lost ring, sometimes they are found very easy other times not so. Last year i was called from home to look for a white gold ring that was lost on the beach ( thought ) after searching for about 4 hrs no luck, they packed up and off home they went, about 1 hour later they came back to the beach they had found the ring it was on the DRIVE but they was sure they had lost it on the beach, so you never can be sure of lost spot. But this case looks like its around the area, but the Garrett with the small coil is hard work unless you go very slow. The very best at finding it. beachboy 70

CornwallLostRing

Post by CornwallLostRing » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:36 am

thanks all, I am fortunate enough to be being joined by a member from this forum today for another search, this time i am going to be digging on every beep - assuming that the Precious has been pushed into the earth by foot or by tyre since it does not seem to be visible on the surface. Hoping to post pic of found precious later today fingers crossed, getting a bit fed up of the search to be honest - back ache, neck ache - tough and tedious !

CornwallLostRing

Post by CornwallLostRing » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:56 pm

great news and a big THANK YOU ! to forum member Tim64 who came down to help me today and was successful in finding the Ring - money well spent to get an expert to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:56 pm

What a Great result ::g B-)
Cheers
mrix

Timmy 64

Post by Timmy 64 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Glad I could help and find the ring for you .And thanks for the reward.

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:06 pm

What a great result, well done to the two of you, dog eared determination won the day.

ossie

Post by ossie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Proper job,well done and well deserved.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Great news! Buying a detector is only half the battle....like buying a car.

From this:
getting a bit fed up of the search to be honest - back ache, neck ache - tough and tedious !
I take it you are not tempted to keep your machine and pursue this fascinating hobby? ;))
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Return to “Success Stories”