XTerra 50 Missing Targets ?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
jeff82

XTerra 50 Missing Targets ?

Post by jeff82 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Hi all .. have an xterra 50 and have mostly been hunting in all metal ..I have dug a ton of junk plus a few nice items .. I have recently been using in factory set discrimination 1 .. it has made searches a lot more quiet and have mostly dug good targets ..

Today we had a 1866 farthing come up ..the discrim picked the target and once it was out I decided to do a few tests .. laying flat the discrim picks the coin up loud and clear with a good high tone .. however once I buried the coin upright in the clod and waved over it the machine completely missed it at 3' down .. set machine to all metal and it grunts at -6 .. telling me its iron? .. if I was searching in all metal I would generally skip over a -6 as most time its a nail ..
My fear is I could be skipping over potential coins ..
Regards
Jeff (newbie)
IF IM NOT HERE .. IM SEEKING HISTORY (with a spade) and my son

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11

oldartefact

Re: xterra 50 missing targets?

Post by oldartefact » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Think what you are describing is an inherent problem with all detectors ... targets are missed because the object target is either too deep or not in an optimal orientation. Targets can also be missed because your swing frequency and amplitude are out of synch with your ground speed, and can be missed simply because you decided not to dig. Short of taking the top 30ins of soil off the field and putting it through a metal sieve... I guess there are two possible approaches ... either relax and enjoy the journey, or detect fields that are deep ploughed ... year after year, that way your target will eventually come into range, at an orientation that is okay with your machine.
Hope that helps.

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:45 pm

I use a Xterra 50 and I leave it on discrim 1.
When I bought it from a dealer they suggested I dig everything over 9 on the display screen and I did.
I've also found that there are so many other contributing factors to a successful days searching as well.
I listen more to the tones and try not to look at the screen-it's difficult at times not to do it.
This is just my feeling about missing a target- it's perhaps not your time to have that coin or artefact.
There's always tomorrow. ;)

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Most machines will have problems picking the coin up in the upright position,as it has far less surface area for the signal to latch onto,some VLF machines are slightly better than other,higher khz machines may pick it up easier than say a lower khz one.Pulse machines usually hit these on end coins the best.

Not alot one can do about it really,maybe reduce your swing speed when you pick up a target,even then that could still fool the machine,at least its one major lesson that you have learn't if nothing else,i would have thought many detectorists have walked over a decent find over the years because of the exact same problem,so its not just your Terra 50.

jeff82

Post by jeff82 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you everyone for your input ..greatly appreciated.. ::g

I am going out in the morn with my boy ..im going to dig everything .. will post outcome tomorrow

Thanks again guys

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Fishwick wrote:I use a Xterra 50 and I leave it on discrim 1.
When I bought it from a dealer they suggested I dig everything over 9 on the display screen and I did.
I've also found that there are so many other contributing factors to a successful days searching as well.
I listen more to the tones and try not to look at the screen-it's difficult at times not to do it.
This is just my feeling about missing a target- it's perhaps not your time to have that coin or artefact.
There's always tomorrow. ;)
Having had my 705 a good few years I have to say that I have had some nice finds on numbers below 9.

I would normally dig anything in the plus numbers up to the high 40s
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am

Also an Xterra 705 owner here.

Always find a few who struggle with it form time to time.
It's basically down to getting to know your machine, they say it takes around 100 hours, I would say that is fair.

I wouldn't (and didn't) use it in All Metal to begin. It will be too confusing trying to learn all the new tones and you will loose patience digging rubbish all day!
I would suggest using either program 1 or 4. This way you will learn what signals are worth digging and get used to the tones.

Take your time, be patient and the finds will come!
I have found heaps of hammered coins and finds of note/regional importance and treasure with this machine. It will keep up with the high end machines any day. I dig with clubs and on rallies and have proved this many times!

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

jeff82

Post by jeff82 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Ravenrook wrote:Also an Xterra 705 owner here.

It's basically down to getting to know your machine, they say it takes around 100 hours, I would say that is fair.

I wouldn't (and didn't) use it in All Metal to begin. It will be too confusing trying to learn all the new tones and you will loose patience digging rubbish all day!
I would suggest using either program 1 or 4. This way you will learn what signals are worth digging and get used to the tones.

I have found heaps of hammered coins and finds of note/regional importance and treasure with this machine. It will keep up with the high end machines any day. I dig with clubs and on rallies and have proved this many times!

I have recently been using factory disc 1
And when I have a bouncing target or a nice tone that chops I switch to am to see .. I am finding that flat iron plate and iron hoops give a signal of a coin ..well what I have learnt to be a coin .. I have been having lot of fun recently digging buttons .. love the odd variations ..
Up until now I have been using the machine without headphones ..I covered an area on my permission using the machine speaker .. I mainly do this so I can keep an ear and eye on my boy ..I worry if using headphones I would not hear him if an accident accrued ..
However over the last week o have been out alone and used headphones .. I covered the area in which I had already deemed to be done and found many more targets .. its a strange experience with headphones ..bit 100% better ..I was hearing the tones speak to me rather then the machine just sounding off .. is it strange to say I feel I can hear the depth .. it gives this feeling and I have been able to filter through iron infested areas and pick out the smallest of targets .. I dug a lead token yesterday which I nearly passed on .. whilst swinging in disc 1 I got a high chopped tone which o couldn't pinpoint ..switched to am and could hear what sounded like 20 nails around the one tiny high tone I managed to lock the target in am. ..I chanced it and found the 18mm token approx 14inches down ..sensitivity maxed at 20
After recovering I searched the clod and loose in am and did find 4 fence nails .. goes to prove to me to trust your ears and not the display ..
I'm feeling I have started to understand the machine a lot better ..as always can't wait for the next dig

MINELAB X-TERRA 50
FISHER F11

Fishwick

Post by Fishwick » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:40 am

jeff82 wrote:
Ravenrook wrote:Also an Xterra 705 owner here.

I have recently been using factory disc 1
And when I have a bouncing target or a nice tone that chops I switch to am to see .. I am finding that flat iron plate and iron hoops give a signal of a coin ..well what I have learnt to be a coin .. I have been having lot of fun recently digging buttons .. love the odd variations ..
Up until now I have been using the machine without headphones ..I covered an area on my permission using the machine speaker .. I mainly do this so I can keep an ear and eye on my boy ..I worry if using headphones I would not hear him if an accident accrued ..
However over the last week o have been out alone and used headphones .. I covered the area in which I had already deemed to be done and found many more targets .. its a strange experience with headphones ..bit 100% better ..I was hearing the tones speak to me rather then the machine just sounding off .. is it strange to say I feel I can hear the depth .. it gives this feeling and I have been able to filter through iron infested areas and pick out the smallest of targets .. I dug a lead token yesterday which I nearly passed on .. whilst swinging in disc 1 I got a high chopped tone which o couldn't pinpoint ..switched to am and could hear what sounded like 20 nails around the one tiny high tone I managed to lock the target in am. ..I chanced it and found the 18mm token approx 14inches down ..sensitivity maxed at 20
After recovering I searched the clod and loose in am and did find 4 fence nails .. goes to prove to me to trust your ears and not the display ..
I'm feeling I have started to understand the machine a lot better ..as always can't wait for the next dig
I can relate to what you're saying jeff82

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Metal Detector Forum”