Broken coil lugs

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
CFC

Broken coil lugs

Post by CFC » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:33 am

Has anyone else had one or both of the shaft fixing lugs on the coil snap on their x-terra? Both my nephew and I have had, in my case one lug crack and snap off in my nephew's case both lugs. Why cant Minelab make a thicker mounting for the shaft to coil attachment?

JBM

Re: Broken coil lugs

Post by JBM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:22 am

Its a problem thats being going on for years. :(

There are various ways to repair them using modern day adhesives.

If I remember correctly the answer was using a small L shaped bracket support bonded to the broken parts. ;)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 am

as jbm says, using epoxy resin. you can get small tubes from most pound shops ::g
Just using the Force Image

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 am

Hello 'CFC' As J'BM' says, it's a well discussed problem which is not exclusively confined to Minelab models. If you're looking for a solution without buying a replacement, there are some simple and effective remedies in the DIY forum. Good Luck Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

CFC

Post by CFC » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 am

I've cut and glued two pieces of plastic to the sides of both lugs and used two large washers to spread the load

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Under xp dues on flee bay there's this. Wether the height width would suit ud have to look into

"""""Replacement xp dues replacement coil lugs

Item no 323175554007

Printed in High Quality Strong PETG Plastic.

Either glue on using good quality 2 part epoxy or similar. Alternatively you could just use 2 cable ties and criss cross them and fasten around base of coil.

All Parts Printed To a High Standard Using Only High Quality Plastic Filament.

Posted Same Day First Class if ordered before 3 PM.

(Sorry about postage cost but its 5mm too wide to qualify for the lower postage of £1.20""

Ravenrook

Post by Ravenrook » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:02 pm

This is very annoying and MineLab (ML) appear not be addressing the problem for some reason? rl;
Mine have gone again on the replacement coil which is now out of warranty B| B| B|

Check you are not within warranty, they will replace the coil for free - however, fat lot of good that is if they don't give you one with better lugs! 8-}

You may get someone (I suspect that either works for ML or has some kind of other vested interest?) wading in to this topic in a minute and accusing you of "misusing it" or not putting the rubber washers in etc... Rather than feedback the problem to ML and help get to the root of the problem!

I can only guess as the machines are made in America for beach hunting, gold prospecting and 'coin shooting' on grass, that they are not tough enough to deal with stubble or cold temperatures?

My coil is waiting to be fixed with epoxy however, I think you need to be sure what plastic the coil is made of to ensure it bonds correctly??

Real shame as the Xterra range are brilliant machines and, in my opinion, this is the only downside - but it's a pretty big one!

Not sure if that Deus placement would work on a ML??

Good luck and keep us posted as to what solution you try.

Raven ::g
MineLab Xterra 750
Garrett pro pointer
Evolution Extreme Digging tool
Evolution Pro Cut Spade
Lot's and lot's of enthusiasm!

"Every Holes a Goal!!"

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Mine have broke on my Equinox 800 they don't like cold weather, in my opinion they look weaker than the x-terras. I think one of my first posts on the equinox when I finally got it was the fragility of the lugs. I even ask about the strength of the coil on a forum before I brought it and the few replies I got were favourable.
Someone said they looked beefed up, quite the opposite they have been beefed down. I had a coil fill up with water on wet grass on the x-terra it was a defect in the seam which had lot of pinholes in it.
And guess what! I have contacted the Minelab repair centre and they have no spares for the Equinox at the moment, surely this should of been put in place first before they sold it to the UK. As a temporary solution I have managed to cable tie it.
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm

Wow! I am genuinely surprised by this. I have had no such problem, and I am not at all gentle with my Nox. It is usually thrown in the back of the van, and can be bouncing around in there for days. I have used it in the snow, in long stalks, rocky ground etc, it really gets a tough life with me. and it just handles everything I throw at it. ::g

I hope Minelab gets you sorted soon.

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
XP Goldmaxx Power

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Mon May 28, 2018 9:47 pm

One of the lugs broke on my Etrac stock coil . It was cold and I was 'tecting in a stubble field near York.

It was out of warranty so Minelab weren't interested.

I'm very conscious of equipment and don't abuse the stuff - it's too expensive for that. But poor design IMHO.
The mighty Minelab Etrac !

I'm UBIQUE! RE

fred

Post by fred » Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 am

Bargeman wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 pm
Wow! I am genuinely surprised by this. I have had no such problem, and I am not at all gentle with my Nox. It is usually thrown in the back of the van, and can be bouncing around in there for days. I have used it in the snow, in long stalks, rocky ground etc, it really gets a tough life with me. and it just handles everything I throw at it. ::g

I hope Minelab gets you sorted soon.

BM [:)
Not had any problems myself with Minelab kit yet in 20 years except through blatent misuse and stupidity. However, that's why I always have 2 of whatever I currently use. :-O

My first impression was that the lugs on the 800 do look light but we shall see. :D Hope that yours gets sorted soon. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

CFC

Post by CFC » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

ML should use a narrower head on the shaft and thicker lugs

Bencal

Post by Bencal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi cfc
I have an xterra and both lugs broke and I had to do a repair
Upvc sheet 6mm and epoxy resin did the trick have a look at my post in the xterra category
Shows pictures of the Finnish coil (solid as a rock )

Bencal

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:16 am

A product called Q-bond is good. It's a black powder you sprinkle over the break and then drop a kind of superglue stuff on to it. Within seconds the reaction is over and the powder is hard and bonded to the plastic. You can build it up in stages and can become stronger than the original. Often gets used on plastic car or motorbike panels.

Search the web for sellers.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm

I must admit i have had my 705 for well over 6 years now and had no issue with the coil lugs at all.

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”