X-Terra 70 Set-up.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Smithfire

X-Terra 70 Set-up.

Post by Smithfire »

Hi Guys

Finaly been able to upgrade my detector to a s/hand X-terra 70....Hurrah! :))

Have read the book of words and watched the DVD a few times, but they don't really tell me in WHAT ORDER to set up the different elements, ie switch on, detecting mode, ground balance, sensitivity etc etc.

Could anyone who has used a XT70 please give me a running order of the different elements starting from switch on.

Many thanks for looking

Clive

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: X-Terra 70 Set-up.

Post by Blackadder43 »

I dont know much about the terra 70
But
Ground balancing should be done first off....
On my old Fisher CZ3D you have to turn sensitivity to max, have it in all metal mode and then do the ground balance controls whilst raising and lowering the coil
Then, you put the machine into whatever discrim mode you wanted and reduced the sensitivity to suit the land you were on
So on that basis i would say ground balance the machine and then set the other buttons as you require once its ground balanced...
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Barnet

Post by Barnet »

I've got an X-Terra 70 as a backup machine, used it for 3 yrs. Here's what I do to get going on the day.

Noise Cancel

Make sure your in the right Ground Balance Mode. IE Beach mode is off if your not detecting in wet sand. I always ran the machine with Beach mode off if detecting at the top of the beach.

Ground Balance

Adjust Sensitivity as you go, generally run as high as you can without false signals.

[:)

Sometimes it is nessasary just to go through the action of Ground Balancing again when the soil or beach conditions change, also if you are getting interference from pylons or other detectors just noise cancel again.

The factory default disrimination patterns are not really suited to inland as you will miss hammered coins, you need to edit them a bit. Just say if you want me go through this, or any other bits.
/Barnet aka Steve

Minelab e-trac / Teknetics T2 SE

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire »

Cheers Guys

I'll be doing only ploughing and pasture at the mo.....the nearest beach is about 75 miles away :))

Barnet, I think I would love it if you'd go through it!

I'm using the standard 7.5Khz coil, and I really want to be able to maximise the potential of the machine....I have a feeling that alot of the X-terra users I see on my club meets are just using one of the pre-sets with the ground balance on Track, and maybe not getting the best out of it :-/

2011 is the year I would like to find my 1st hammered, so I think I'll have to have confidence that the machine is going to be on top form.

From what you're saying this the order of set up.

Turn on

Noise cancel

Select ground balance mode (then ground balance)

Sensitivity

Which mode are you in when you do all this?

Many thanks

Clive

Barnet

Post by Barnet »

I'm just off out, will reply this evening with how I have mine setup.

The X-Terra 70 is a very capable machine if they hammered are there, your'll find em.
/Barnet aka Steve

Barnet

Post by Barnet »

Mode doesn't matter when you setup, just don't use Beach Ground Balance when not detecting on the wet sand.

Heres my setup

Threshold 9 or 10, just barely audible but you want to here it.

I use tones 4 / 99 is way to confusing on the X-Terra for me just what i'm used to.

I use an edit of the Relic Patten, think it's preset 1. It's really important to cut down on the amount of discrimination as the hammered coins come in really low on the numbers. Screenshot for you, simple stuff basiclly if I remember correctly in relic mode the first four numbers are excluded you want to cut this down to just the first two, I add in +48 to help stop falsing, silver coins come nicely below this. But hammeys come in really low down, near the R or O in Ferrous.

As you can see my X-Terra front screen has really faded over the years :) well used and well loved machine.

Also if you really want to get serious with it the DD 7.5 coil is a must, the stock concentric coil really sucks. The DD is alot more stable and covers more ground. Take a look at the following article for an explanation. http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/sear ... ypes.shtml

Hope this helps, anything else just ask !

[:)
/Barnet aka Steve

Barnet

Post by Barnet »

Also I don't use Tracking on the Ground Balance. Keep it manual.

Iron infested sites send the ground balance all over the place, it's also possible that small targets (such as hammereds) will track themselves out especially when your checking a weak signal.

The mineralisation in the ground doesn't change repeatability only ground balance when needed if the machine becomes a bit erratic or you start getting some false signals or if the soil type changes in a specfic area.

Also very important before you ground balance make sure the area is free from any targets before you start. Just check the area and make sure there are no signals or interruptions in the threshold tone.
/Barnet aka Steve

Smithfire

Post by Smithfire »

Fantastic mate.

That has basically answered all my questions!

If i didn't know the score with the effect tracking ground balance has on hammerd's, I could be have been walking over them again and again!

Really appriciate that you took the time.

I'm saving for a used 7.5Khz DD coil as we speak! :)

Cheers

Clive

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”