best setting for beach mode

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Liam78

best setting for beach mode

Post by Liam78 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:12 pm

what the best setting for beach mode?

indie

Re: best setting for beach mode

Post by indie » Sat May 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Hiya

In South Devon I have used beach mode, threshold 8-10, sensitivity as high as I can go and then scaling back to whatever doesn't give too many erratic sounds. Auto ground balance and then turning it off the moment I know I've hit some kind of non ferrous.

Discriminating, I switch between two or three settings.

1. All metal mode
2. discriminating out any iron and the highest two or three signals. I think it's program 1 by default actually

The third is prospecting mode, which I am using more so in low trash areas in difficult to search places such as crevices, woodland, walls etc. Selecting the pickaxe mode on the left side of your control box will switch from 'Coin Mode', which only gives a short blip when you go over something, to 'Prospecting Mode' which can be tiring but hugely informative and because of the way it works it will add some depth. You'll see what I mean.

For the beach I have dabbled in 2Khz and 7Khz only. 2Khz makes anything copper/bronze easier to hear and analyse while 7Khz gives an all round performance including gold, which obviously you don't want to miss. The standard Minelab DD coil I don't think is waterproof.

With all that advice given, I'll say that even though I have used the beach mode I have turned it off more often than not. Beach mode works well in highly mineralised ground.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

toby3612

Post by toby3612 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:27 pm

Hey
Are you guys talking about the xterra 705 here?
If so, do you mind me asking whether you recommend it and whether the coil is waterproof?
Cheers :)

Longhair

Post by Longhair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:22 pm

toby3612 wrote:Hey
Are you guys talking about the xterra 705 here?
If so, do you mind me asking whether you recommend it and whether the coil is waterproof?
Cheers :)
I've got other machines to chose from, but I'll never be without a 705. Is that a recommendation? I guess it is.

As for coils, there are 12 authorised coils available for Xterras, and of them there are three that are only water resistant. All others are waterproof. The water resistant only coils are the 10.5" MF & HF, and the 5x10" HF.
If you slow down, you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

toby3612

Post by toby3612 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for that, I think one is a bit far out of my price range though for now :(

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”