X Terra 705, pinpointing.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
Paul Jack

X Terra 705, pinpointing.

Post by Paul Jack » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 am

Hi, brand new member on this forum so bear with me! I bought an x terra 705 recently after having some great times with my old 305. The 705 is a great machine but I have a continuing problem with the pinpointing function. It's probably something I am doing wrong but hear goes. When I am detecting and get a positive signal, for instance a 32, 34 or 36, etc. I then use the pinpoint function and quite often get a -6 or -8 displayed. No idea why and it's driving me mad. Can anyone out there explain what's happening or whether I am doing something wrong. Thanks in anticipation.

Longhair

Re: X Terra 705, pinpointing.

Post by Longhair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Sounds to me like there's trash in the hole, quite possibly along with a good target.
Bottom line....don't worry about ID in pinpoint mode. If it sounds good, dig it!
If you slow down, you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Paul Jack

Post by Paul Jack » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks Longhair. I actually thought that myself but I frequently dig and more often than not find scrap metal. I always check in case there is something else hiding but not found that to be the case so far. It's really annoying because you go from being excited to deflated very quickly!

Jason5223

Post by Jason5223 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi, had my 705 for over 4 years now. Wonderful machine and I have found some great items with it.
I have said this before on this forum, the numbers when pinpointing seem to have no bearing at all on what is in the hole.

I'm not even sure that minelab themselves know the answer to this one. Ever since day one the numbers on screen are completely different to those in pinpoint mode.

Bottom line is totally ignore the numbers in pinpoint, in this mode it's only function is to centre the target to make it easier to dig out. I always find that most of the time the find will be right under the threaded bolt that holds the shaft onto the coil.

Hope you have lots of great finds. Mine seems to do very well on Roman coins ::g
MINELAB X-TERRA 705
GARRATT PRO POINTER
"Once you locate an object you need to find it in the soil dug from the hole. The best tool for this is your buddy's pinpointer.  If your buddy does not own a pinpointer suggest that he buy one."

Paul Jack

Post by Paul Jack » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:14 pm

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful!

Longhair

Post by Longhair » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Paul Jack wrote:Thanks Longhair. I actually thought that myself but I frequently dig and more often than not find scrap metal. I always check in case there is something else hiding but not found that to be the case so far. It's really annoying because you go from being excited to deflated very quickly!
If you're digging that much scrap metal you're either going to have to spend more time with the machine to learn the audio nuances of good vs junk, or accept that many of the targets you're after are going to have you digging junk right along with the good.

If your desired targets at a certain site are hammies and other ancients, then digging junk is just part of the game. Get used to it.
If you're after mostly pre-decimal coins, silver/gold rings and such, then you'll quickly learn that they have an exceptionally clear clean sound to them. Responses that include a low thump or scratchy sound at the beginning or end are a tip-off that they are likely junk.
If you slow down, you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

slimpickens

Post by slimpickens » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:41 am

Paul Jack wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 am
Hi, brand new member on this forum so bear with me! I bought an x terra 705 recently after having some great times with my old 305. The 705 is a great machine but I have a continuing problem with the pinpointing function. It's probably something I am doing wrong but hear goes. When I am detecting and get a positive signal, for instance a 32, 34 or 36, etc. I then use the pinpoint function and quite often get a -6 or -8 displayed. No idea why and it's driving me mad. Can anyone out there explain what's happening or whether I am doing something wrong. Thanks in anticipation.
Hi ...Hope this SC is not out of line here. Came across your posting while searching for more information & tweaks for my 705. Interesting! Have a ? for you, if you will ? When you get your + ID and Then pinpoint and get a - ID in the pinpoint function. Did you notice what kind of target you came up with when/while that is happening?

Also have a 705 and this SC cannot recall what kind of target I dug at the time when this happens? Hopefully I can remember to look into a little closer the next time it happens. Thanks for posting! Hope this helps?

indie

Post by indie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm

I doubt we'll get our earlier poster back but oh well.

For the question you've asked, SP, that's a common thing for me for the pinpointing ID to display negative numbers. I can't recall why but it was never a frustration for me because of how simple the pinpointing works. As you move closer to the object your machine *last* identified a circle will begin to complete on-screen and the sound change. As you know of course. Like this:

pinpointing.png
Page 26 and page 27 explains all about pinpointing and a rarely used function which is the sizing of objects. I've found over time that the tone emitted relative to the speed i'm swinging will give me a good idea on how big it is!

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4051/ ... EN_WEB.pdf

Why were there negative numbers? I'd say that the user had their Minelab in All Metal Mode and the last thing it picked up before they switched to pinpointing was ferrous. This is why it displayed a negative number.

In my experience a -6 is man made iron. A -8 is natural iron. I therefore discriminate out -8 and the top two ID numbers if i'm happy with the soil conditions.

Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Sounds like you have auto tracking turned on. TURN IT OFF and try pin pointing a target. You should NEVER USE AUTO TRACKING because if you get a high tone and then pin point it that will always be the target your machine takes as ground balance and the Xterra just wont work as it should.
?

Why do you Want to use pin pointing anyway. No matter what machine I use I never use pin pointing, never. I prefer the withdrawal method and you can do it quicker as well.

indie

Post by indie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:39 pm

At Digger wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:16 pm
Why do you Want to use pin pointing anyway. No matter what machine I use I never use pin pointing, never. I prefer the withdrawal method and you can do it quicker as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by withdrawal method. Could you explain? :) Is that just digging more than you need out and waving it over the coil?
I find triangulation and a smaller hole works for me with little need for pinpointing, where soil conditions are ideal of course.

I think this thread is more to do with 'when they use pinpointing', which isn't the same as always using pinpointing.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 pm

indie wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:39 pm
At Digger wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by withdrawal method. Could you explain? :) Is that just digging more than you need out and waving it over the coil?
I find triangulation and a smaller hole works for me with little need for pinpointing, where soil conditions are ideal of course.

I think this thread is more to do with 'when they use pinpointing', which isn't the same as always using pinpointing.

Withdrawal method is when yo get your target under the coil back off very slowly while still hearing the target, when the tone goes the target will be directly in front of the coil. Yes triangulation works too, what ever your use and what ever gets you the best results.

indie

Post by indie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:22 pm

At Digger wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 pm
Withdrawal method is when yo get your target under the coil back off very slowly while still hearing the target, when the tone goes the target will be directly in front of the coil. Yes triangulation works too, what ever your use and what ever gets you the best results.
Thanks Digger. I do use that too and lets face it there is more than one way to do the job. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me and I'm sure others will benefit. Anything that will help uncover that hoard of spanish silver with putting a spade through it is good for me ::g
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705

slimpickens

Post by slimpickens » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:54 am

indie wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:39 pm
I doubt we'll get our earlier poster back but oh well.

For the question you've asked, SP, that's a common thing for me for the pinpointing ID to display negative numbers. I can't recall why but it was never a frustration for me because of how simple the pinpointing works. As you move closer to the object your machine *last* identified a circle will begin to complete on-screen and the sound change. As you know of course. Like this:

pinpointing.png

Page 26 and page 27 explains all about pinpointing and a rarely used function which is the sizing of objects. I've found over time that the tone emitted relative to the speed i'm swinging will give me a good idea on how big it is!

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/4051/ ... EN_WEB.pdf

Why were there negative numbers? I'd say that the user had their Minelab in All Metal Mode and the last thing it picked up before they switched to pinpointing was ferrous. This is why it displayed a negative number.

In my experience a -6 is man made iron. A -8 is natural iron. I therefore discriminate out -8 and the top two ID numbers if i'm happy with the soil conditions.

Hope this helps!
Came across xterratips.pdf done up by Des Dunne. Apparently a Minelab field tester about the time x-terra 70 came out. Interesting discussion in topic 1 titled Iron Identification. I'll have to do some field work and concentrate on what you have noticed.

That sort of confirms in the All Metal Mode that the pinpointer will help lock in a target that may be shifting Its TID somewhat, if I understand correctly. Thank you for taking the time to help explain this. ::g SP

slimpickens

Post by slimpickens » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:15 am

At Digger wrote:
Sounds like you have auto tracking turned on. TURN IT OFF and try pin pointing a target. You should NEVER USE AUTO TRACKING because if you get a high tone and then pin point it that will always be the target your machine takes as ground balance and the Xterra just wont work as it should.
?

Will keep that in mind. xterratips.pdf are some x-terra tips that Des Dunne put together for the x-terra when he did field testing for them. Interesting! Iron ID ? Thanks you for taking the time to offer an explanation & suggestion. Well done. Something I'll have to put in my repertoire. SP

kevmar

Post by kevmar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm

You can have size pinpoint mode,or tune out target pp mode,i.e the target shrinks in size as you sweep.

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”