HF Coil For Coin Detecting?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab X-TERRA range of metal detectors within this forum.
slimpickens

HF Coil For Coin Detecting?

Post by slimpickens » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Feel free to move this posting to another forum ... If it doesn't fit in. I could not get the new thread to show up on the home page menu.

Just purchased another Minelab X-Terra 705, but this with HF coil. Would like to hear from others on our Family Forum your adventures, thoughts, or experiences using the X- Terra 705 HF for coin detecting. This discussion is not limited to just those that have used the HF X-Terra 705 but others that have used different HF detectors for Coin an/or Jewelry, Relics. :-/

BTW HF X-Terra is 18.75 kHz. just to give the Forum of where I'm coming from. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! SP USAF 62-66

indie

Re: HF Coil For Coin Detecting?

Post by indie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi there,

I thoroughly recommend you read this book which should answer your question. It's not long, has chapters to navigate to the important parts, and is pretty light going.
https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/u ... erra-ebook

I also quite like this image which i've seen posted about a bit which explains frequency fairly well. The higher frequency coil I haven't used as much for specifically coin shooting. I think I took it to a park once though and if I remember correctly it did a better job of minimising iron signals than a lower frequency.
X-Terra TID Bins By Frequency.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:37 pm

slimpickens wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 pm
Feel free to move this posting to another forum ... If it doesn't fit in. I could not get the new thread to show up on the home page menu.

Just purchased another Minelab X-Terra 705, but this with HF coil. Would like to hear from others on our Family Forum your adventures, thoughts, or experiences using the X- Terra 705 HF for coin detecting. This discussion is not limited to just those that have used the HF X-Terra 705 but others that have used different HF detectors for Coin an/or Jewelry, Relics. :-/

BTW HF X-Terra is 18.75 kHz. just to give the Forum of where I'm coming from. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much! SP USAF 62-66
This is the correct forum for your post ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

slimpickens

Post by slimpickens » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:42 am

indie wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 pm
Hi there,

I thoroughly recommend you read this book which should answer your question. It's not long, has chapters to navigate to the important parts, and is pretty light going.
https://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/u ... erra-ebook

I also quite like this image which i've seen posted about a bit which explains frequency fairly well. The higher frequency coil I haven't used as much for specifically coin shooting. I think I took it to a park once though and if I remember correctly it did a better job of minimising iron signals than a lower frequency.

X-Terra TID Bins By Frequency.jpg
Thanks for taking the time to post the Link. You make an interesting observation concerning the TID readings as per kHz when using. I'm sure it will take this SC some practice and field work to get better acquainted as to what to expect. I have available the 3 kHz, 7.5 & now the new detector called the Gold Pack 705 to experiment with. SP

indie

Post by indie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:51 pm

I haven't spent more than a couple of hours doing so but using the goldpack, which is another word for saying the 18khz high frequency coil, on black sand did give some feedback.

Having the three coil types turns an average hobby piece of equipment in to something very capable. I remember looking at either a brand new AT Pro or the 705 with three or four coils. The 705 coils were all but one waterproof so the 705 won out.

Although one of the key people I follow on YouTube uses a Garrett, I can barely tolerate the sound it makes. The Minelab sounds are so much better. I run mine in 4 tones due to the ground conditions.
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

slimpickens

Post by slimpickens » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 am

indie wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:51 pm
I haven't spent more than a couple of hours doing so but using the goldpack, which is another word for saying the 18khz high frequency coil, on black sand did give some feedback.

Having the three coil types turns an average hobby piece of equipment in to something very capable. I remember looking at either a brand new AT Pro or the 705 with three or four coils. The 705 coils were all but one waterproof so the 705 won out.

Although one of the key people I follow on YouTube uses a Garrett, I can barely tolerate the sound it makes. The Minelab sounds are so much better. I run mine in 4 tones due to the ground conditions.
Thanks again for taking the time to post on this. Hopefully I will be able to test this out in the field shortly using the new goldpack x-terra with HF. Also will take along my x-terra backup with the LF 3 khz. Appreciate your feedback. SP .... x-terra 705's - garret at pro - fisher f5

Return to “Minelab X-TERRA Forum”