TIDs

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Phil2401

TIDs

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:21 pm

Today I dug a rather badly worn but identifiable 1769 George III Hibernia halfpenny, so I won't bother with photos - as far as I can establish from research this coin is pure copper.

I dug it because I got a good high tone audio signal - small, crisp, clear and repeatable in all directions. Took a look at the screen - 94 (what would you think?)... Had to dig down about 10" to get to it but at every level, and a subsequent air test, gave a steady 94 TID.

Using the Deus standard black 9" coil, 5.2, Deus Fast, no tweaks. Clay & flints on permanent pasture.

It's annoying to dig a signal in the 90s to find it's aluminium or big iron, but it's even more frustrating, or at least confusing, to dig such a signal and get a half interesting copper coin!.

Just wondering whether it's worth looking at the screen at all...?

Phil

Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Bargeman

Re: TIDs

Post by Bargeman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Not owning a Deus, I can't offer much help in that particular direction, but using my Nox, I only dig on the sounds, only looking at the numbers for my own interest before digging, or not digging if the numbers start to jump about. The only exception to this is with my Rutus, where the little vertical line is always consulted, the shorter and more vertical, the better the chance of a good find. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 pm
Not owning a Deus, I can't offer much help in that particular direction, but using my Nox, I only dig on the sounds, only looking at the numbers for my own interest before digging, or not digging if the numbers start to jump about. The only exception to this is with my Rutus, where the little vertical line is always consulted, the shorter and more vertical, the better the chance of a good find. ::g

BM [:)
Thanks Kevin - the Rutus is similar in that respect to the XY screen of the Deus - short, 45 degree angle line rather than vertical in the case of the Deus is good...but not 100% reliable. It's just that the numbers on the Deus - 90+, would tend to suggest silver - I'd have expected a copper coin to have displayed something in the 70s/80s.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:21 pm

I dug it because I got a good high tone audio signal - small, crisp, clear and repeatable in all directions. Took a look at the screen - 94 (what would you think?)
If I wasn't on a greenwaste field - Then hopefully another big silver gothic florin or suchlike. But the Georgian pennies do hit high as does most sizeable copper alloys. If iron it should give a buzz as you moved off it. ::g
Last edited by Easylife on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Dig/no dig is always down to the lugholes, sometimes followed by a glance at the numbers to have a guess as to what it might be. Whenever I've bothered to look, old coppers invariably give numbers around the 90 region, same as ringpulls and other aluminial delights.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm

To b fair all I use the screen id no's for now is beach detecting ,like bingo guess the coin by no. generally ok on a clean beach On the muck no's can really mean nowt its all a maybe....unless u say get a hammie at 60 then your next signal is a 60 .... could b but just as likely to b lead ! Maybe more suited for U.S where not so much variation in id's??? If it beeps dig it....2x - - on screen but audio dig it ....simpeeeels :D

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”