Buying new or used ?.

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Post Reply
gaz43uk
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Buying new or used ?.

Post by gaz43uk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am

I'm in the market again for another Deus. I want the 11" coil, remote and WS5 headphone. Now I've been looking at second hand ones but I'm just worried about the batteries on the coil, remote and headphone, what I'm really asking is when do the battiers need changing ? and I know there's a-lot to take into account regarding use but as the coil is always on even when just in stand by, whats the oldish I should be looking at ? and what is the warranty with the Deus ? as I've seen some with 5 years and will that cover anything ?.


XP Deus
11" coil
WS5 Headphones
XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Garrett Finds Pouch
Extreme Blade Evolution Trowel
Invader II mild steel trowel

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 1147 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by Easylife » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 am

Later ones have 5 year garauntee but you do need the original purchase reciept. Batteries can last for over 5 years but are easy enough to replace.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Taxino8
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire
Has thanked: 177 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by Taxino8 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:44 pm

I’ve had my full setup for six years now and use it at least once a week, more when the crops are harvested, and my batteries are all original without any sign of degradation.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
Garrett Propointer
1/2 Share in Garrett ATX

Junior
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:53 pm
Has thanked: 160 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by Junior » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 pm

I've had mine full set up from 2/1/14 on original batterys no probs...the 2 spare coils I have and don't overally use I charge ever 2 months.....generally will charge controller,coil, ws5 headphones after every 6 hr session ....generally only use 1 bar on all items in an outing....Now use as back up or occasionally on beach so charge other items 2 monthly if not been used.....prob go wrong now ::g

User avatar
Buriedbytime&dust
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Location: Suffolk
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:12 pm

The problem is that prices for used Deus are very high. The Lite can be bought brand new for a little over £600 and the going rate for a s/h one on eBay seems to be £500-550. That's just not enough of a saving for me to take the risk (and depleted warranty) that comes with a used machine.

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:12 pm
The problem is that prices for used Deus are very high. The Lite can be bought brand new for a little over £600 and the going rate for a s/h one on eBay seems to be £500-550. That's just not enough of a saving for me to take the risk (and depleted warranty) that comes with a used machine.
I have just bought a 3month old deus lite, with ws4 headphones and 9” hf coil for £522 including postage. Which I thought was a fair price. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

User avatar
JBM
Posts: 2410
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:46 am
Location: Bristol
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 340 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by JBM » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm

One thing with the XP Deus is that you can always add to it. ;) ::g

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

coil
Posts: 4131
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:55 pm
Location: grays essex
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by coil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Cant beat deus once learnt ::g

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Well my 3 month old deus arrived today with a broken stem ;;z the seller was very good about it and said to return it for a refund which I have and I can only hope they are true to there word as I have bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

Oh well
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 7179
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 1077 times
Been thanked: 879 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by oldartefact » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 pm

When buying things second hand ... and I mean anything second hand, some considerations are these..
1. What is the sellers rating? do you know them, are they a club member, do they have a perfect e-bay rating?
2. Why is the seller looking to offload the item?
3. Is the item under or over priced, and can the seller provide proof of ownership?
4. What happens if you dont like the item for what ever reason, and can you return the item, and get a full refund?? Without a massive fall out.
That is why buying from a recognised supplier can be a good thing... they give assurances that the machine is of a sellable standard, and generally give you the option of a refund if you have legitimate reason under the "Consumer goods act 2015" .. things that a private second hand seller may be very reluctant to, or simply cant. offer.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 759 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm

chip wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm
Well my 3 month old deus arrived today with a broken stem ;;z the seller was very good about it and said to return it for a refund which I have and I can only hope they are true to there word as I have bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

Oh well
A sad reflection of what may befall those who seek to place their trust any of the many 'bays' out there. 'Caveat Emptor' or as we say in Yorkshire, put your trust in a dealer as they are experienced detectorists, provide a guarantee with their s/h machines and when the time comes for you to 'upgrade', they will usually agree to a part exchange deal against your old machine. Dealers also rely to a large extent on increasing their customer base so need 'returning' customers.
No risk involved ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:55 pm
chip wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:21 pm
Well my 3 month old deus arrived today with a broken stem ;;z the seller was very good about it and said to return it for a refund which I have and I can only hope they are true to there word as I have bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

Oh well
A sad reflection of what may befall those who seek to place their trust any of the many 'bays' out there. 'Caveat Emptor' or as we say in Yorkshire, put your trust in a dealer as they are experienced detectorists, provide a guarantee with their s/h machines and when the time comes for you to 'upgrade', they will usually agree to a part exchange deal against your old machine. Dealers also rely to a large extent on increasing their customer base so need 'returning' customers.
No risk involved ::g Regards ss47
I had actually already agreed a deal with a dealer to part exchange my at pro towards a remote for the deus lite I ordered from eBay. So when the deus arrived damaged i contacted the dealer to see if I could part exchange the pro for a new deus lite with hf coil instead, which they have agreed to.

I chose to part ex my at pro over selling privately because I wanted to deal with people I know and who know detectors rather than a stranger, and I have bought both my at max and cs4pi from them in the past both through the mdf for great prices.

Just means now I will have to put any thoughts of a remote on the back burner until funds allow.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 759 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Re the Deus remote unit, why not advertise for one on the MDF 'Buy and Sell' forum?
Here:- viewforum.php?f=116 ::g ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Re the Deus remote unit, why not advertise for one on the MDF 'Buy and Sell' forum?
Here:- viewforum.php?f=116 ::g ss47
The remote was the one part I did want to buy new. I may treat myself to one at Xmas, the deus lite was for my birthday 🎂 which is Thursday.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 759 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Birthday!.......If I'd known that, I'd have baked a cake :D Happy birthday for Thursday -=+:-P -=+:-P
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Birthday!.......If I'd known that, I'd have baked a cake :D Happy birthday for Thursday -=+:-P -=+:-P
Regards ss47
Thanks :D
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 pm
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by chip » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Well the eBay seller from whom I recieved the broken deus was true to his word and I was refunded. He said it was fine when he posted it, so god knows how it got damaged in transit but I believe him.
My brand new deus lite arrives on Monday from detecnicks, coincidently all three of my current detectors have come from them now. Not through dealer loyalty on my part but because they did the best deal on the day either through the mdf shop or because in this case they gave a fair price for my at pro in part exchange and they offer great service.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

sweepstick47
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire
Has thanked: 759 times
Been thanked: 1378 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:38 pm

chip wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Well the eBay seller from whom I recieved the broken deus was true to his word and I was refunded. He said it was fine when he posted it, so god knows how it got damaged in transit but I believe him.
My brand new deus lite arrives on Monday from detecnicks, coincidently all three of my current detectors have come from them now. Not through dealer loyalty on my part but because they did the best deal on the day either through the mdf shop or because in this case they gave a fair price for my at pro in part exchange and they offer great service.
We should always expect a good level of service from any business so when satisfied, it's only right and proper to acknowledge it in some way. I believe that returning for more of the same, as you have done, is exactly the right choice. Good result - happy customer and happy dealer.::g
Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

king of the swingers
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by king of the swingers » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 pm
When buying things second hand ... and I mean anything second hand, some considerations are these..
1. What is the sellers rating? do you know them, are they a club member, do they have a perfect e-bay rating?
2. Why is the seller looking to offload the item?
3. Is the item under or over priced, and can the seller provide proof of ownership?
4. What happens if you dont like the item for what ever reason, and can you return the item, and get a full refund?? Without a massive fall out.
That is why buying from a recognised supplier can be a good thing... they give assurances that the machine is of a sellable standard, and generally give you the option of a refund if you have legitimate reason under the "Consumer goods act 2015" .. things that a private second hand seller may be very reluctant to, or simply cant. offer.
I buy and sell lots of stuff on the web my advice always pay thru paypal and you can never lose out ::g ::g

User avatar
Easylife
Posts: 2356
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Has thanked: 368 times
Been thanked: 1147 times

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by Easylife » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:41 pm

king of the swingers wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 pm
I buy and sell lots of stuff on the web my advice always pay thru paypal and you can never lose out ::g ::g
So true, guaranteed buyer protection. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

gaz43uk
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Buying new or used ?.

Post by gaz43uk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for all the reply's.

I ended up buying a Deus Lite year 2014 with 11" coil and WS5 Headphones but he had a receipt from Renton's which was 7 months old when he had coil batteriers and the headphone band and wire replaced.

I meet him 15 minutes from my house half way from his and gave £470 all box with a few little extras.

Gave it a good test and very happy with the purchase.
Cheers all Gary.
XP Deus
11" coil
WS5 Headphones
XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Garrett Finds Pouch
Extreme Blade Evolution Trowel
Invader II mild steel trowel

Post Reply

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”