the learning curve starts

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
stjimmy1980

the learning curve starts

Post by stjimmy1980 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Over the last few years I've gone from garrett ace 150 - 250 - 400i, felt it was time to upgrade so decided on the deus lite which I bought today. I must admit after using Garretts all my detecting life the deus looks complicated. Better start watching a few videos and begin the learning curve x;

Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

Easylife

Re: the learning curve starts

Post by Easylife » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 am

Not at all, just switch on and go! The standard programs are great - GMP is very popular.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:01 am

Don't play too much with the settings, until your confident to experiment, as Easylife said it a switch on and go machine, I went from Ace 250 to Deus and does take time, still learning now

The Standard progs are all there and can toggle between them and find the one that suits you, on mine I did alter the pitch of the sounds to suit my hearing

There are some good vids done by Gary the Deus guru and gleaned a lot of info from them

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:31 pm

just picked it up and I took a bit of a punt on it, bought second hand for £300 , I've wanted one for a while but couldn't justify spending £700 as my Garrett was serving me well but for this price I couldn't turn it down. It came boxed with 9" coil, ws5 headphones and charger etc. it's really strange for me not having a control box to look at ...ive watched a few videos overnight but will welcome any starting pointers at all, I will mainly be digging an old military site which has loads of iron plus the occasional rally, many thanks
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Well that was different! I managed to get an hour in after work before it got dark, I put it on P2 which is the GMP I believe and I have a couple of questions for the more seasoned user. Firstly is it normal for the machine to pretty much constantly make a noise? just like little chirps until I went over a signal be it iron or something else then it gave a louder signal, or do I need to adjust something? The site is infested with iron as it was a ww1 military camp for 12 months. My second question is ( and I know I could do bed tests but I'm fresh off the field) does the machine make a different sound depending on how deep the target is or is it the same tone regardless? I thought I would miss the pin pointer but I had no problems there , although I kept moving my thumb towards the non existent button . I think after my first hour the only thing I can see me missing is a depth meter to look at. I really enjoyed the weight of it and looking forward to the next outing. Thanks
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:05 am

I’ve moved this topic to the Deus forum as it’ll get you more specific advice and wider input.

The deus is a machine that gives you lots of feedback. It is not silent all the time but before long you’ll find GMP too quiet on some sites. Yes really! It spits and sparks, just learn what it is telling you.

Concentrate on the sounds. Depth is indicated by the sounds you hear - its louder when it’s nearer to the surface. Just dig everything but obvious iron and you’ll understand what we mean. Not having the control box will help you to listen so you are actually at an advantage.

The official XP And Gary’s YouTube channels are worth trawling through ::g

Look forward to hearing how you get on ::g
XP Deus
11 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 3 so far in 2018 !!£$

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:49 am

stjimmy1980 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm
does the machine make a different sound depending on how deep the target is or is it the same tone regardless?
Audio Response settings will help, but target size will throw a spanner in the works.

Full tones takes some getting used to, but that little repeatable squeak will become music to your ears ::g

CTX_Phil

Post by CTX_Phil » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:37 am

Maybe try programme 1 first as that will knock out a bit more iron than programme 2 and shouldn't be as noisy. My son (8) and daughter (6) use the Deus in prog 1 and they've both found hammered so even though it's a basic programme you can still find good, small stuff. Relating to your other thread good machine for your daughter to use too 👍

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 pm

out again tonight for 1 1/2 hours , tried the first 3 programmes . 1 button and on the plus side I've cleared a pocket full of junk off the field mainly tin and shrapnel. I know as said above the machine is pretty chirpy but is it normal for it to do so 95% of the time even when I lift the machine off the ground at waist height it's still chirping away , tbh it made so much noise it began to hurt my ears and that was with the volume reduced. it's extremely early days but my initial thoughts are i feel like I'm not doing something right. Absolutely any input is greatly appreciated. just to add I didn't dig any iron at all. Thanks in advance
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

CTX_Phil

Post by CTX_Phil » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:46 pm

That doesn't sound quite right to me, I know the Deus isn't my main machine but I use it a fair bit and the only time I get loads of noise is on wet sand?

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Are you switching it on away from the ground, car and electricity cables and counting to 10 before returning it to the ground? It takes longer to calibrate than it does for some other machines.

And, if second hand, remove the coil cover and check it’s clean. Plus make sure its fully charged.

If you’ve done that lot then something is wrong qnd you should call Regton’s for advice ::g
XP Deus
11 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 3 so far in 2018 !!£$

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:04 pm

I once bought a used coil that did that, when the machine was standing stationary even it would be constantly chatting to itself even in the middle of a field. Close inspection revealed that the resin had a small crack in it which had let moisture into the coil windings. I got a full refund. Hope yours is not faulty but I think you said you got it too cheap to refuse. x;
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=
White's TDI SL

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm

oh no, I do hope it's a case of me being a plank and nothing's wrong with it ;;z If there's anyone in Norfolk that knows what they're looking at and could spare me 10 minutes to take a look I'd be eternally grateful, thanks all
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

krip2454

Post by krip2454 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:09 am

stjimmy1980 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:39 pm
out again tonight for 1 1/2 hours , tried the first 3 programmes . 1 button and on the plus side I've cleared a pocket full of junk off the field mainly tin and shrapnel. I know as said above the machine is pretty chirpy but is it normal for it to do so 95% of the time even when I lift the machine off the ground at waist height it's still chirping away , tbh it made so much noise it began to hurt my ears and that was with the volume reduced. it's extremely early days but my initial thoughts are i feel like I'm not doing something right. Absolutely any input is greatly appreciated. just to add I didn't dig any iron at all. Thanks in advance
Do you have power lines overhead, or an electric fence nearby? They make it chatter a lot.
XP Deus & Garrett 350 Euroace
XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Much modified Spear & Jackson Border Spade
And lots of patience... :-w

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 pm

nope no power cables , electric fences , anything at all really. I've looked at the coil , cleaned under the cover , inspected it and everything seems good. maybe it's just doing it's thing and I need to get used to it? I was finding targets ( rubbish) and dug coke which I've never done before so it must be working ok , do you ever have to ground balance on any of the pre-set modes or adjust sensitivity? I'm really excited about finally having this machine I guess it's me who needs fixing after years using the same brand. I've no idea what software it's running either so maybe an update will help too? sorry for so many questions so early on and thanks again
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
LOLOAQIC182QB4IP

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”