Software - the big debate!

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.

What Deus software are you using and why?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Version 2.X
3%
Version 3.X
26%
Version 4.X
35%
Version 5.0
3%
Version 5.1
3%
Version 5.2
29%

Total votes: 62

Oxgirl36

Software - the big debate!

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Ok so I started on version 3.X and have wandered along to version 5.2 and, until recently, would never really consider going back to an older version. But, darn it, I love adore and hug V4.1. It’s like putting on fur lined slippers with silk heals. All sort of perfect and warm and comfortable. It finds me everything, it got me gold! So I have swayed back and forward between V5 and V4 for a few months now and am considering going back to V4.1 again...

....but then I was reminded very recently by the wise Bob79 that I don’t really like change very much. So is that actually my problem?

When I got my new HF coil and moved to V4 I didn’t like it. I only started liking it when it found me silver. Then I loved it l;.
I have a new X35 coil which requires me to have V5 but I’ve not used it that much and it hasn’t (yet) been the coil to find me something good.

So what are you on, and why. Honesty please. If you don’t like change then say so. If you are new to the Deus then say. I think it’ll be useful to know if you’ve tried a ‘newer’ version of the software and gone back too.

So you have 5 days to give your fellow Deus users a snapshot of our favourite software version. On your marks, get set, go.... :)w

XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

f8met

Re: Software - the big debate!

Post by f8met » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:55 pm

I am using the black coil still as I have used the HF and it was not suited to my permission. I don't think the higher frequencies have much merit on UK soils so I won't be upgrading to the X coils. If I can find cut quarters with a black coil on standard frequencies, apart from maybe finding them deeper, why get a different coil?

I still think that the complaint people are having with the HF and X coils is they are picking up too much at the higher frequencies so are far too noisy. I find I have to turn down my 11" coil on my permissions because I am getting the same and I couldn't use anything above 18 on the HF coil as it was far too noisy.

I looked at the changes for V5 and it won't be offering me anything unless they have done something they are not advertising so not worth changing from V4.
Last edited by f8met on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2018 56 Hammered

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I entered the Deus market with the V5.0 software and the X35 coil. I suffered with the known chattering issue so upgraded to the V5.2 software. I find the standard pre-loaded programs on the Deus are not really tailored to the X35 coil. After a bit of tinkering, I now have several programs that I believe work for me on my permissions.
I've not known anything other software than V5, so can't comment any further.
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. Garrett Ace 250.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

janner53

Post by janner53 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I've been using a Deus full set up since 2014 and I am still on version 3.2 with the original black 9" coil. I have this past year just started to get away from the factory programs and starting to make my own and getting to understand what my Deus can do. The only reason I think why I have not upgraded is I feel I will have to start over again, plus after reading about the problems that have been found with these new upgrades and reading about people switching back to their original set ups, I just as well stay where I am.
I'm happy as it is ::g .
XP Deus 3.2
C.Scope CS4PI
Garret Ace 250
I dig, you dig, we dig, he digs, she digs, they dig. ......
...OK, It's not a beautiful poem, but it's very deep.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 pm

I am on 4.1 and do not need to fix anything that's not broke

It works for me fine, I may get a HF coil and see if it needs anything higher than 4.1

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

3-2 has been the only version I have used (5 years), I have heard it said 3.2 for detecting and the rest for gadgets. That may not be the case but I know this version inside out and can honestly say I would not want to dig deeper than I do (age thing) plus I am very happy finding what I find and as Janner53 pointed out, why start the learning curve all over again. If I have a low find day that is all it is as I know if it was there I would have found it so no need to let any doubt set in.
JC

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

not my detector but this was written by someone that uses and repairs detectors and someone I trust to be honest.

can't post all of it as the language is too bad later on. Hopefully the little bit not bad ?

Short overview on latest XP novelties.
I've been purposely silent on this for quite a while.
I gave it a time to see where this story will go on.
Seems now is clear. Same old story.
It is already seen so many times so far; neoliberal globalization take its toll again.
Ever since the V3.2; XP did nothing in favor to old and faithful customers.
In case one bought XP Deus with first series of coils (black 22.5cm, 34x28cm and later 28cm) and not intending (nor having desire) to change them; there is nothing new and significantly improving in newer firmware upgrades after V3.2.
Last year i tested new HF 22.5cm coil and was satisfied with it's behavior. But It was just a lend for the purpose of testing.
Considering it's hot price of 370 euros; i gave it back immediately after i tested it for several hours.
Yes, that coils is carrying some improvements.No, those improvements are not justifying such lunatic price at all.
Upgrade V4.0 was with some issues. Lags and bugs, from time to time.
Than i waited V4.1. Tested it again with same HF 22.5cm coil. No lags. Probably no bugs, can't tell for sure, tested it only for few hours.
What i really don't like at V4.1 (and now at V5.0) is the behavior of GB function.
Now i don't have constant GB readings on my LCD to monitor and follow. Now it is behaving pretty weird and awkward from time to time.
All of the sudden GB number disappears from LCD and stays empty for longer time.
I read the instructions and try to understand what they are trying to explain there. I miss to find any sanity and logic though.
GB threshold and GB sense is counterproductive crap, as far as i am concerned.
Everything else i can accept. And most probably i would stay at V5.0 to keep some functions.
But crappy GB "improvement" is so ugly and annoying; that i decided again to return to V3.2, and this time really for good.
GB functions is most important function at metal detector for me. And they messed it BIG time, up from V4.0.
What would be my conclusion?

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:11 pm

4.1 for the same reasons as Steve T. It just works and besides, there's nothing v5 offers my setup by way of improvement.

Obviously that will have to change were I to get the x35 but again the old coil's doing the business just fine so no need to change that either. In any case, I think an upgraded coil's more likely to be in the form of an HF when it happens.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I can honestly say V4 was best for me. I found a lot more silver and gold with it.
I’m now on v5 but have no controller or pc so am stuck.
It’s ok, but I definatly felt more comfortable on V4
2018 hammies. = 130 (including quarters, halves and broken) not including the Saxon
Saxon = 4
Celtic. = 3
Silver denarius = 1
Gold Roman = 1
Gold ring. = 0

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:40 pm

V3.2 but I don’t have any hardware that requires the later versions ::g

I tried V4 and it was awful, ground balance very unstable.

The Deus isn’t the only machine I use, but it is my preferred one on arable, especially stubble or fluffy soil. Most of the time this is on a club or group dig, so I prefer to cover a lot of ground until a hot spot is found. So for me stability is key over depth, ploughed ground can stir up finds to any depth. If I find a good patch then I would slow down and try better settings and a lower frequency if needed.

Just what suits me so not telling anyone else what to do :D but I am finding plenty of hammered.

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
XP Deus : 11", 9" Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

principia

Post by principia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm

I do use the 5.2 version, why?
I own a Deus lite version with the WS4 headphones.
Version 5.2 gives the lite user much more settings to play/ adjust with.
Et qui quærit, invenit
XP Deus
AKA Signum MFD
C Scope CS6MXi
Deteknix X-pointer

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Original 11" coil on v3.2. Too many bad stories to consider an upgrade. Besides, I have a Macbook and XP don't let you upgrade using an Apple ;;z

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Oh lots of answers already, thank you ladies and gents. It’s interesting that we can try something and then if we don’t like it straight away then we can go back. I took a few goes out to get used to v4 but honestly you couldn’t pay me to go back to v3 now.

Maybe I don’t need the X35 :-/ then my lovely v4.1 would be a no brainer. I need to think on that.
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017), just 4 so far in 2018 (but did find 1 gold coin :D )

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm

its in your heads you have to walk over it :))

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 pm

king of the swingers wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 pm
its in your heads you have to walk over it :))
Spot on in my opinion ::g ::g
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:02 pm

I think its all about confidence. No matter what machine you have when you are comfy with your machine you concentrate on the detector, and the land and finds just happen.

Well thats my experience anyway.

But that’s another thread :D
XP Deus

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm using 3.x ... dont ask me what the x stands for... the version came with the machine .. I wouldnt upgrade as I dont have a clue how... and besides I've read so many accounts of machines being trashed by the upgrade process.. I choose not to. £1,400 is hard enough to come by, so I dont want to get into some endless .. who blames who ... with the suppliers. 3.x works for me.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Bes99

Post by Bes99 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm

I am using 5.2, mainly with the HF coil. Still finding quarters, cut halves and little Romans like I did with the previous versions so I am not concerned. As noted by others you have to walk over it to find it. The reason I moved to 5.2 is so I can swap and use one of the other guys coils if I fancy a change or the charge runs out or if I leave my spare at home.

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:33 pm

Joined the Deus club this year at V5. Upgraded to V5.2 to get rid off chatter problem. Since then I have used it with the X35 11inch coil quite happily.
No major finds but that is because I have not walked over them, That's the luck of the draw in our hobby but a part of the excitement. You never know what you are going to find.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm all for improvements but V5.x proved to be a step backwards for me and I don't want an x35 coil so reverted back to the trusty V4.1. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Wilci

Post by Wilci » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 am

I use 5.2. for the use of the HF round and the x35 9". Works fine for me. Mostly searching river shores with a lot of iron. Never on pasture.
Deus 9" X35 - HF round
Kruzer 7" concentric
Compass Judge II

fred

Post by fred » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

I had to laugh at the quote in Koala's post.

'Seems now is clear. Same old story.
It is already seen so many times so far; neoliberal globalization take its toll again.
Ever since the V3.2; XP did nothing in favor to old and faithful customers.'

Although I favour another brand I have been around Deus machines since they first appeared on the scene and I have seem some superb finds made with all versions of its software, including much gold and several hoards. I can't think how i failed to spot that it was a part of some neoliberal global conspiracy, I just thought that it was French! :D

Very interesting theme. Provided your coil will work with it, at least with a Deus you always have the option of stepping back to more familiar software, which shows some consideration. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Junior

Post by Junior » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm on v5.2 but have fell out of love with the dues at the mo....got the hf elip coil as u do thinking o I'll be getting all the small stuff I've missed and itll open up the old land again tryed on 27kh and 70 is it ( havnt used it for months ) ....nope .... only had 1 cut half in 4yrs of owner ship ....using a different detector at mo which I've had cut 1/4 s 1/2s and Roman minimums..... maybe just luck ????? Got the 9 " black ...big black ....and elip hf ...But won't b signing up to x35 ....spent toooo much for no real gain ::g

cammann

Post by cammann » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:36 pm

Using v3.2 with black 11 inch coil.

I've grown older and wiser with V3.2 so that now when I'm out with my machine, I know and understand what its telling me. I'm pretty tech savvy (working in IT) and I'd happily upgrade if newer versions promised to find me more, but this doesnt seemt to be the case. So, I'll stick with V3.2.
XP Deus
Garret Pro Pointer
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Minelab Safari
Garret Ace 250
Best find - medieval gold posy ring, piece and quite

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 pm

4.1 for me and my finds rates are just fine. ::g

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Some very interesting results from this poll ::g

Dave ):=
Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
XP Deus : 11", 9" Coils
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 10 GPS

dep1699

Post by dep1699 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm

5.2 final for me with Hf elliptical coil or standard black 9". I have no problem at all with it and when the target is really good (like a coin) it just sing (also with half and quarters (actually less than a quarter as it was broken. I would say 1/8).
I am going to keep it anyway because it adds more features to WS4 (I am on Deus light) and I like tweak the detector according to the soil (if ever would make any difference...when is not the right day/field there's no tweak that can help).
Luckily I don't have X35...Oxygirl knows what I mean :-) :-).

chip

Post by chip » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 pm

I have my deus full running 4.1 with both 9”hf and 11” original coil. Tried 5.2 due to purchasing a new 13” x35 coil and did not like it. So rather than move on the x35 coil and buy a standard 13” coil which would have been the sensible thing to do, I instead bought a another pair of ws4 headphones to use with the 13” x35 coil so I could keep my full deus as above 4.1.

This is added expense but atleast this way I could actually use the x35 should I choose to as before buying the second headphones it was of no use at all. Maybe with time I will grow to appreciate 5.2 or even what ever version they bring out next and I will upgrade all my kit to that version, in which case I will have a spare pair of headphones.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:16 pm

chip wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:08 pm
I have my deus full running 4.1 with both 9”hf and 11” original coil. Tried 5.2 due to purchasing a new 13” x35 coil and did not like it. So rather than move on the x35 coil and buy a standard 13” coil which would have been the sensible thing to do, I instead bought a another pair of ws4 headphones to use with the 13” x35 coil so I could keep my full deus as above 4.1.

This is added expense but atleast this way I could actually use the x35 should I choose to as before buying the second headphones it was of no use at all. Maybe with time I will grow to appreciate 5.2 or even what ever version they bring out next and I will upgrade all my kit to that version, in which case I will have a spare pair of headphones.
I did that for a bit but I don’t really like the WS4s. I know others that are doing it too.

I’m going to make myself stay with 5.2 for at least 20 hours of detecting then make a final decision on what I think of it. As you say we may grow to appreciate it ::g
XP Deus

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm

The divide here is simply either up to V4.1, or, V5.0 and later. It generally seems to be if it ain't broke, then don't try to fix it, unless you bought an x35 coil. x;
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”