XP DEUS on a aeroplane

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Kevin E

XP DEUS on a aeroplane

Post by Kevin E » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

Hi All,
I'm of to Tenerife in Feb, and was wondering if anyone has taken a DEUS on an aerplane ?
I ask this question because as I've spoken to airline. They said I could take the batteries out off a metal detector and it should be fine.
I then went on and told them that was not possible, 3/4 hr later off being asked questions and kept being put on hold and explaining the machine to them they told me to call the airport, so I called the airport and was told to call the airline. Not very happy ~x(
I thank anyone who could give me any info.
Regards
Kevin
Xp DEUS
Xp Goldmax Power v4
NCMD
& A whole lot of luck !!!!!!!!!

Comp

Re: Xp DEUS on a aeroplane

Post by Comp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:38 pm

I put my Deus in my suitcase when I went to Greece earlier this year,.... (when I got there, I was told not to use it, but thats another story!!!)
I am going to Tenerife next week, and the beaches do look inviting, but, again, not sure if detecting is permitted :-( , And the wife says NO!! anyway..........

Cheers, Fred
Homebuilt Surf P.I.

XP Deus {backup machine}

rab the ranter

Re: XP DEUS on a aeroplane

Post by rab the ranter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:26 pm

I've heard of a lot of folk taking the Deus on holiday and Tenerife are fine with detecting on the beach.
Pack the detector in your main case (not hand luggage) and cover the flashing light on the coil with
black tape as that would freak them out and take any receipts for the detector with you.

malcthefish65

Post by malcthefish65 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:01 pm

I went to Magaluf in Spain last year and there was a guy on the beach there upto his waist with a sand scope amongst all the topless! it was funny but as you probably guessed i got chating and he said he does well mainly for rings and a few coins one thing i will mention he was from Yorkshire but i think he lived out there its funny it seemed strange to see someone there detecting amongst it all im bad enough on our beach in the summer people asking what have you found and the usual how deep was it!! so all i can say is find out the regs over there before you take it if the mrs lets you i know mine wouldn't!..

Comp

Post by Comp » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm

OK, the wife says we are not going to Tenerife, its Lanzerote,... (near enough, same place???) ::g

Anyway, think I will check, & perhaps just hide the coil, and headset in the suitcase somewhere,...
If you read a news report of a mad Brit wife whizzing a Deus coil out to sea, as a 'Frizbee', well, that'll be mine!!!!!!

Cheers, Happy New Year to you all, Fred
Homebuilt Surf P.I.

XP Deus {backup machine}

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

The question to ask yourself when thinking of taking a detector to a country whose laws you are not sure of is ....... Can I afford to have that detector confiscated ?
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Kevin E wrote:Hi All,
I'm of to Tenerife in Feb, and was wondering if anyone has taken a DEUS on an aerplane ?
I ask this question because as I've spoken to airline. They said I could take the batteries out off a metal detector and it should be fine ...
Regards
Kevin
Kevin ... When in standby mode the coil is NOT on, and doesn't transmit or receive. Laptops and phones are allowed and, unlike the coil, they are 'active'. I believe this is explained in the manual somewhere, so take it with you. I guess new coils are regularly imported (flown?) from France. Good idea to put black tape over the flashing lED, as already suggested.

Enjoy your holiday.

Coxabeeper

Post by Coxabeeper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Detecting in Spain is illegal.... Be careful, and they are Spanish islands
If ring pulls were currency, i would be a friggin millionaire !!

hihosilver

Post by hihosilver » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:44 pm

It must be able to receive a signal, or how else would it be able to turn on again. :D Shouldnt affect a plane in any way though I'm sure. Would have to go in the hold as previously said, can't imagine there would be an issue with it though, but taping up the led sounded like a sensible idea, I guess the sight of something flashing like that would make jumpy people overreact.

If it's legal there, happy hunting. ::g

If it's indeed illegal in Spain (check before you go, don't claim you didn't know after being caught), what we should be saying is... don't do it. If you want to detect on your holidays, go somewhere you know it's legal instead.

Just because someone may only be there for a few days or weeks doesn't mean laws should go out the window.

As corny as this sounds we are all 'ambassadors' for our hobby. Usually highly visible ones when detecting on beaches. ::g [:)
Current setup:
XP Deus v2.0, GARRETT Pro-Pointer
MD'ing since Sept '11

Previous:
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett EuroAce, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Etrac

www.wessexsearchers.club

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 pm

In addition to my reply above - just remembered this, some of which may be helpful:
SORRY ... NOW GONE ...
Last edited by John on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coxabeeper

Post by Coxabeeper » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 am

I must correct myself it is legal but you must have a import cert for your machine and the laws are very strict and you must had everything in !! If is advised not to go detecting in Spain as drug smugglers hide their stash on the beaches and so they people can dig it up and you will get hassle of the local police..

Here is a good page from the NCMD website with all EU countries and their laws on MD ::g

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If ring pulls were currency, i would be a friggin millionaire !!

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 am

The airlines are concerned about lithium batteries. I have some knowledge but I'm not a expert.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/ ... 3-V1.1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
go to 2.3.5.9.1 "Portable Electronic Devices Containing Batteries"

The Watt-hour (Wh) rating on each battery determines if the device containing the battery can go Hand, Checked or is prohibited. There are also limits on number of devices (depending on how battery is constructed (who many cells make up a Deus battery?) so it may transpire that headphones and remote can go cabin, coil will go hold.

If travelling and your complying, make sure you have a print out of regs in case of customs/return journey difficulties where ground staff may not be fully converse with finer details.

I'm on a 2 day IATA cource next week so I'll use Deus to test examiner on coil standby mode which may convene another regulation. Tape over light is one way around rasing concern. Allowing battery to discharge (although not recomended by XP) is another which lowers risk of repercussions if not compling with regs.

Jungle
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

sid7375

Post by sid7375 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Just a little extra to know about,in the holds of all aircraft they have smoke detectors,some detectors can or could be set off by a mobile phone signall etc,so you never know!

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I took the DEUS from Germany to Poland, Czech, France and UK. Coil and stem in checked luggage, control box and headphone in hand luggage and never had any issues.
(however, also taped the LED)
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi folks, this is carrying on an old topic but its still very important as the number of Deus users has risen and many do want to take their machines away on holiday.
Has anyone recently taken their Deus onto an aeroplane? Any problems encountered? Any tips?
Cheers, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Doug

Post by Doug » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm
Hi folks, this is carrying on an old topic but its still very important as the number of Deus users has risen and many do want to take their machines away on holiday.
Has anyone recently taken their Deus onto an aeroplane? Any problems encountered? Any tips?
Cheers, Liam ::g
I have taken my Deus to the US for several years without encountering any problems.

Although I do split the unit down over 4 bags, 2 carry on and 2 hold.

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”