IMPORTANT - XP Deus Switching On

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
mrix
Founder

IMPORTANT - XP Deus Switching On

Post by mrix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 am

Hello all, I have had confirmation today back from Alain at XP Metal Detectors that when you switch on your Deus the machine must be at least 15" away from any metal objects / ground which most of us already know but the important part many will not know as its not stated in the manual is that you must wait for at least 10+ seconds for the coil to calibrate "quick flashing", then when the coil changes to the normal 1 second pulsing all is set to Go and you can bring the coil to the ground ::g
Hope this helps
Cheers all
mrix

Danzigman

Re: IMPORTANT - XP Deus Switching On

Post by Danzigman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:15 am

I did a littel time test two days ago.. looking at the display and coil.. When turned on - I personally always use no speaker.. the time it takes for the display to come up with the info YES or NO and you to chose, fits well over the flash interval on coils..
So dont lower coil before you have done this small choices..
After one or two outing it is habit.. ::g
Thanks for bringing it up
mrix..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for bringing it up mrix..
Hi John, I feel its a hugely important setup point, I hold my hands up and was honestly unaware of this as I can only imagine countless others were also as there was nothing in the manual explaining this.
I would normally hold the machine with the coil facing the sky and then switch on and almost straight to the ground after a few seconds, certainly not 10 seconds that`s for sure! it was highly likely the Deus was still calibrating and at times may of caused me some problems ?

Cheers
mrix

MetalMonkey

Post by MetalMonkey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

Not sure where I read it but I've always held my Deus 3ft horizontal from the ground before switching on keeping it there while it calibrated. :-/
XP Deus V 3.2
Garret Pro Pointer
Roughneck Mini Shovel (Broken)
Silverline round nose shovel
Trowel
Ultimate Finds Pouch
Bad Back(very))

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

All coils will pick up noticeably more electrical interference if they are not held completely flat, so it is wise to hold them that way during the important self-cal period. By 'flat', I mean how you would normally hold them when searching.
And the "15 inches away from metal" should really be taken to read "15 inches from the ground". Depending on the size of the metal, you might need to be many feet away. For example, don't stand 6 feet / 2 metres away from your car when you turn it on.
My own experiments show that the ground can be picked up more than 15 inches away with a typical "9 inch" search-coil, so I would try and hold the coil 2 feet / 60cm clear of the ground, just ensure the coil stays flat, don't tip the whole detector.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:06 am

Not sure where I read it but I've always held my Deus 3ft horizontal from the ground before switching on keeping it there while it calibrated
I would normally point the machine in the air to calibrate it sure but I never really kept it there long enough and have only just become aware of how long you do actually need to leave it calibrating by the quick flashing of the coil which is at least 10 seconds+
All coils will pick up noticeably more electrical interference if they are not held completely flat, so it is wise to hold them that way during the important self-cal period. By 'flat', I mean how you would normally hold them when searching.
And the "15 inches away from metal" should really be taken to read "15 inches from the ground". Depending on the size of the metal, you might need to be many feet away. For example, don't stand 6 feet / 2 metres away from your car when you turn it on.
My own experiments show that the ground can be picked up more than 15 inches away with a typical "9 inch" search-coil, so I would try and hold the coil 2 feet / 60cm clear of the ground, just ensure the coil stays flat, don't tip the whole detector.
Very good points made Fusion ::g

I guess at the end of the day just make sure your coil is as far away from the ground or metal objects as possible, next make sure the fast calibration flashing of the coil has stopped and your pretty much safe to Go ::g
Thanks
mrix

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks mrix for that update, crucial to us all and I was not aware of the 10 seconds delay either, will now do things right! Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks mrix for that update, crucial to us all and I was not aware of the 10 seconds delay either, will now do things right! Liam
I was not aware myself Liam as I would imagine countless others are not.
Thanks
mrix

metal-detective

Post by metal-detective » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 am

mrix wrote:Hello all, I have had confirmation today back from Alain at XP Metal Detectors that when you switch on your Deus the machine must be at least 15" away from any metal objects / ground which most of us already know but the important part many will not know as its not stated in the manual is that you must wait for at least 10 seconds for the coil to switch on and calibrate "quick flashing", then when the coil changes to the normal 1 second pulsing all is set to Go and you can bring the coil to the ground ::g
Hope this helps
Cheers all
mrix
Lets get this switching on bit exactly right,the coil does Not switch to the normal one second pulsing unless it is switched to a program,otherwise it switches to four second pulsing if not switched on and from my experience the calibrating is a little more than ten seconds more like twenty seconds when calibrating.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 am

the coil does Not switch to the normal one second pulsing unless it is switched to a program
I think you will find your above statement wrong, When you switch the Deus on it always starts off in one of the programs, maybe the default program 1 or if you have something custom created, you will find that even before you click No / Yes for the speaker the coil has already started calibrating.
from my experience the calibrating is a little more than ten seconds more like twenty seconds when calibrating.
This topic has basically been created to make more Deus users aware that you do have to wait for the coil to calibrate before using the machine, its appears the calibrating process maybe be a little quicker / slower depending on machine and surroundings ::g
Cheers
mrix

metal-detective

Post by metal-detective » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:36 am

Sorry to be contradictious but when my Deus is sitting it will flash every four seconds or so,when I switch it on it calibrates and then asks if you want the speakers on or off,so until you chose one or the other to that it is not showing a program???? Am I correct or not???

Danzigman

Post by Danzigman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:34 am

metal-detective wrote:Sorry to be contradictious but when my Deus is sitting it will flash every four seconds or so,when I switch it on it calibrates and then asks if you want the speakers on or off,so until you chose one or the other to that it is not showing a program???? Am I correct or not???
You are correct that it dont show programe choice before after Yes/No to speaker.. But it DO calibrate before..
So as I posted in start.. When YES/NO is on screen your DEUS is already calibrated and ready to start the program you turned it of in last time.. ::g
- Short story.. - when you push turn on, the calibration starts..
XP DEUS. GPP VII. GARMIN etrex 20.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/Danzigman/library/

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:31 am

Sorry to be contradictious but when my Deus is sitting it will flash every four seconds or so
Just a little note, once charged your coil will flash every 4 seconds while not in use indefinitely until it has lost its charge, this is even before you switch your Deus remote control control or headphones on.
Once you switch the remote control or headphones on this is when the calibration process starts as already explained ::g

Cheers
mrix

stubble hunter

Post by stubble hunter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:35 am

Thanks mrix for this crucial thread. I also was unaware of the calibrating time.
Very appreciated ! ::g
John
XP DEUS - V5.2 (9" HF coil).
Usual settings: Prog 9 (Hot), manual, 54khz

Grid is 1mm squares within 10mm blocks

[member of Taynton Metal Detecting Club - http://www.glevumdetecting.co.uk

metal-detective

Post by metal-detective » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:39 am

Am I to understand that every thing I said is CORRECT.I would hate to be giving missleading information!!!

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:52 am

Am I to understand that every thing I said is CORRECT.I would hate to be giving missleading information!!!
Hello metal-detective, this whole topic really relates to after you switch your Deus on, hence the title of the topic " IMPORTANT - XP Deus Switching On " ::g The coil when not in use will have 4 second pulses though :) I am starting to feel the topic is getting a little unnecessarily complex when it`s pretty much a very simple procedure.
At the End of the day its just a case of the Deus User to try it themselves and all will become clear ::g
Cheers
mrix

metal-detective

Post by metal-detective » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 am

Because the topic is important I have been emphasising it to Andy Sabisch who is a well known authority on the Deus and who writes very detailed Manuals on detectors, he was not aware that lots of Deus owners were not familiar with the processes involved in switching the Deus on and getting it to calibrate correctly so that it performs to a very high level when those processes are observed.I think by now many more owners will be familiar with what to do when switching the Deus ON.Thanks to everyone who took part in this discussion,I am sure that we all want our Detectors to respond to the best of their ability so that when someone asks about a particular detector we are in a position to give advice if asked to do so.THANKS TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:32 am

he was not aware that lots of Deus owners were not familiar with the processes involved in switching the Deus on and getting it to calibrate correctly so that it performs to a very high level when those processes are observed.
I think it is likely to be widespread as the calibration process is not actually stated in the manual, I think after countless hours of use many become naturally aware of the need for the calibrating process but anyone New will have no idea apart from keeping the Deus 15inches from the ground when switching on as stated in the manual.

I can see the Deus manual getting updated to reflex this topic at some point ::g

Thanks
mrix

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am

metal-detective wrote:Am I to understand that every thing I said is CORRECT.I would hate to be giving missleading information!!!
Am I to understand that everything mrix has said is CORRECT. I would hate to see him giving misleading information!!!
(sorry, could not resist that!) Liam =)) =))
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

busterhamer

Post by busterhamer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:11 pm

And just to add to this one, when the firing pistol goes off at a rally make sure your not hugging your DB as you both turn your machines on, i stand at least 3m distance form the nearest detector when i turn mine on ::g ::g ::g ::g

JBM

Post by JBM » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 pm

We always let the rush get a little ahead before we start off.

You would be surprised at what they walk over and leave for those a little behind them, ;) Jerry.

Eggonlegs

Post by Eggonlegs » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for all this valuable information. I recently bought the Deus with the extra large coil and am going to my first club rally tomorrow, all charged up and ready to go. Will make use of this latest information and hope to find something, anything even.

metal-detective

Post by metal-detective » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:23 am

Nuff said!!!!!

fishingdevil

Post by fishingdevil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 pm

If I have the water antenna mod, do I turn on the machine with the antenna or do I fix it after turning on...?

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Turn it on with the antenna fitted.

fishingdevil

Post by fishingdevil » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Fusion wrote:Turn it on with the antenna fitted.
thanks

mickp

Post by mickp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 am

am i right in thinking that it is best practise to turn the machine on extended out with the coil facing to the sky and away from other machines and leave for 30 seconds,or do you just turn it on 3 feet off the ground i only ask this in case there is a plough shear or other large peice of iron under your feet.What im trying to say is does the machine have to face the ground to calibrate to the ground conditions or does the deus not work like this.Does anyone know ?? :-/

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:37 am

Yes point the coil to the sky and wait around 10 seconds+ then bringing to the ground is the safer option.
Cheers
mrix

mickp

Post by mickp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:46 am

thanks for that mrrix cant wait to try it using it properly its my wifes detector but i borrow it occasionly when shes not using it.
Regards mick

cockneyred1970

Post by cockneyred1970 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 pm

thanks mrix i didnt realise this at all i often turn the machine on right next to the car or if im in the field i normally power up and the coil is touching the ground wat an idiot lets see if this makes a diffrence x;
xp deus/garret pro pointer 2014
1 x celtic potin
33xsilver coins
34xhammerd coins
6x silver love token 1silver ring
15xroman coins
2 roman silver coin

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”