Deus Digger Diary: 1850 GOLD ring + finds cache (see day 70)

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
samuraitrev

Deus Digger Diary: 1850 GOLD ring + finds cache (see day 70)

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:55 pm

DAY 1

Is it me or do you get baffled that everyone gets loads of hammered coins and Roman coins except you? x; I'm here to paint a true picture of exactly what you can expect when you go out with your detector. I'm here to illuminate what we detectorists really get MOST of the time (at least in Derbyshire). I have quite a lot of permissions and I do research the land. I'm doing this for several reasons
1) I hope you'll be interested in what actually turns up (yes the good and the bad I'll post everything!).
2) To dispel any myths that may be held by any budding detectorist before they go out and spend a fortune on the latest detector only to find it's not quite what the marketing tries to convince you.
3) As a kind of personal log. I'm hoping this thread, which I will keep updating, will help spur me on to improve my finds rate. Maybe self indulgent but my main reason for doing this is to provide an interesting section which I hope some of you would like to see the kind of things that turn up in Derbyshire.

JUNK
junk1.jpg
from left to right. Hot rocks x2, Large Iron x8 (up to the screw driver), lots of brass/copper (up to edge of ring), lots of modern junk, far right lead blobs.

Reasonable Bits
averages1.jpg
19th/20th cent? Belt Buckle x2 Tombacs, a button with an animal on it otter? copper plain button, 2 Pennys, sixpence, Purse rim, musket pistol ball? flint chip, lead bullet, the others I have no idea?

Good (for me)
good1.jpg
A gold pendant (possibly St Christopher) If anyone can help me how I can clean the mineralization off I would be very grateful. Mystery flat decorated ring?

About me (feel free to skip)
I have been detecting since 1999 and my 1st detector was a Viking about a year later I paid for a Minelab Sovereign XS-2 in installments for a year as my wages were so poor. I used that detector up until about six or so months ago and bought a Deus XP 3.2 with WS5 headphones.
Me and my detector buddy have lots of farm land permissions. I search using Gary's HOT program from Gary's metal detecting website. When I detect I always stay on the same field and keep at it for the full session. I usually detect for about 5-6 hours depending on when the sun goes down! I have the greatest respect for this website and its members and I'm still learning how to use my Deus. I'm sure many of you don't get as much junk as me (maybe some of you do?). I love this hobby and I'm a genuine family guy who only gets out once a week due to work and family commitments. Although my eldest son (4) has got his first detector and loves to collect eyes only pottery off the fields. Please comment and I hope you will keep an eye out for diary entry 2 coming soon...

As always good luck, happy hunting it's all out there waiting to be found! ::g

Day 1 total 104 finds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by samuraitrev on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 82 times in total.
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.

Join me on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQsFW6z9s0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)
Hammered silvers x3 (see day 60 +62)
GOLD rings (see day 68 + 70)

SheffieldSparky

Re: Deus Digger Diary Day 1 (Sun 30th Nov 2014)

Post by SheffieldSparky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:12 pm

And I thought it was only me that did,nt find a roman,celtic or silver every three steps, good post warts and all ::g
Minelab Etrac
Predator phones
Ace 150
Pro Pointer

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:16 pm

SheffieldSparky wrote:And I thought it was only me that did,nt find a roman,celtic or silver every three steps, good post warts and all ::g
Thanks SheffieldSparky now there's two of us. I will be posting more junk on Sunday :))

Join me on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQsFW6z9s0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

When i started this hobby i believed certain people always found hammered gold romans etc..Some do but i would deffo not believe everything you see ! ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

cyprio42

Post by cyprio42 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Nice post and one I'll be following. ::g
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Grey Ghost Headphones
Garrett Pro Pointer
Bible

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Sportsman wrote:When i started this hobby i believed certain people always found hammered gold romans etc..Some do but i would deffo not believe everything you see ! ::g
Good advice and thanks ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 pm

cyprio42 wrote:Nice post and one I'll be following. ::g
Cheers cyprio42 This is something I'm going to do every week. I would very much like to hear your comments and share this journey of discovery with you and anyone else who will take the time to look at my posts. I can't guarantee I'll always find good finds but I will try my best. ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi Trev ::g A couple of points to add such as were you using a deep setting or a fast setting ? Do you make the mistake like i used to ( as you have a lot of land ) of field hopping ? i find it is best to stick to one field at a time and wander it as much as you can until you start to hit good targets. Then do that area over and over again until you get sick of the sight of the same lumps of mud :)) Also you don't say how long you spend each session ? I never bother to do that much research as things could be anywhere regardless of what the history books say ::g Also some of my better finds and most Hammies seem to be the closest fields to the Village .
What we do in life echoes in eternity

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:08 pm

Maximuswarks wrote:Hi Trev ::g A couple of points to add such as were you using a deep setting or a fast setting ? Do you make the mistake like i used to ( as you have a lot of land ) of field hopping ? i find it is best to stick to one field at a time and wander it as much as you can until you start to hit good targets. Then do that area over and over again until you get sick of the sight of the same lumps of mud :)) Also you don't say how long you spend each session ? I never bother to do that much research as things could be anywhere regardless of what the history books say ::g Also some of my better finds and most Hammies seem to be the closest fields to the Village .
Hi Maximuswarks,

You make some very good points and it's feedback like yours that will help me improve my posts.
I use the HOT program from Gary's detecting website.
I don't field hop I will stay on the same field all day regardless.
My session lengths do vary but on this diary entry 1 I spent 6 hours from 11 until 5 (when it went dark!) On average I do about 5 hours, summer time will be longer.
Good advice about getting closer to the villages.

I will update my 1st diary entry (about me) section to include the extra info.
Thanks again ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

SilverAce

Post by SilverAce » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 pm

Good post mate!!! ::g I too find loads of junk but I think the thing that keeps me enthusiastic, always excited and looking forward to my next day out searching the fields is the fact that we all know there is lots more of the good,interesting, and valuable stuff out there waiting for us to find :;@ .......and just think, one day I might be the one who strikes it lucky!! <:-P well I can dream can't I....lol :D

Good luck and happy hunting ::g
Minelab E-trac. Garrett Pro-pointer.
NCMD Member.
SilverAce

Maximuswarks

Post by Maximuswarks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Trev have you tried HF Fast ? Or HF Deep at all ?
What we do in life echoes in eternity

ScotsmanInKent

Post by ScotsmanInKent » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi samuaritrev

I am looking forward to the rest of your poss on his thread.
Very interesting.

I just waned to let folks know that many of my sessions are exactly he same as yours, lots of junk with a few mediocre mid range finds when lucky.
However.........my best ever single find of a gold stater was in an area where in he pas I had dug nothing bu rash with a few musket balls as my best finds! You never can tell.

Like Maximus Warks says though most of my good medieval finds are made closer to something like an ancient pub or church or manor house or mill etc.

Like many others I think I mostly post on here when I occasionally find something good
Good luck his weekend.
I have resolved o posV on Sunday also no mater what I find!

SIK
2016 Finds:
3 Hammered
11 Roman
2 Milled silver
0 Sceat
0 Stater

Lots of scrap.......

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 am

SilverAce wrote:Good post mate!!! ::g I too find loads of junk but I think the thing that keeps me enthusiastic, always excited and looking forward to my next day out searching the fields is the fact that we all know there is lots more of the good,interesting, and valuable stuff out there waiting for us to find :;@ .......and just think, one day I might be the one who strikes it lucky!! <:-P well I can dream can't I....lol :D

Good luck and happy hunting ::g
Cheers SilverAce. Wise words. ::g I'm the same for every signal I get I always think...This could be the one!
Step 1) dig and pinpoint
Step 2) Put the junk in my junk pocket
Step 3) Sigh
Step 4) Smile and carry on. The next one's the big one (go to Step 1!) :))

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:11 am

Maximuswarks wrote:Trev have you tried HF Fast ? Or HF Deep at all ?
I keep hearing about them but I haven't seen a post of the settings yet. I'm willing to try any custom settings. ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:18 am

ScotsmanInKent wrote:Hi samuaritrev

I am looking forward to the rest of your poss on his thread.
Very interesting.

I just waned to let folks know that many of my sessions are exactly he same as yours, lots of junk with a few mediocre mid range finds when lucky.
However.........my best ever single find of a gold stater was in an area where in he pas I had dug nothing bu rash with a few musket balls as my best finds! You never can tell.

Like Maximus Warks says though most of my good medieval finds are made closer to something like an ancient pub or church or manor house or mill etc.

Like many others I think I mostly post on here when I occasionally find something good
Good luck his weekend.
I have resolved o posV on Sunday also no mater what I find!

SIK
That's good to know. That even you guys get a lot of junk too. I would love to find a gold coin one day, that's the dream! Thanks for the good luck wishes. The positive feedback has spured me on to go whatever the weather! I look forward to being shamed by your finds rl;

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

cyprio42

Post by cyprio42 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:42 am

Look at the Spinks coin auction December 17&18th. It amazes me what may come out on your next dig.
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Grey Ghost Headphones
Garrett Pro Pointer
Bible

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:44 am

Excellent post samuraitrev.... ::g

This is representative of my experience since I started detecting about 14 months ago. Having said that I have found around 25 hammered coins from three relatively small fields ::g But most of the time finds are lead, modern junk and the occasional iron bits >:P >:P

To prove this my last five hunts are posted on You Tube at....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... RWeYbJX-Qw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will follow this thread with interest ::g

Ace :)
XP DEUS lite 3.2 + 9" coil & WS5 H/phones
Garret Ace 250 + Stock & 22 x 28 DD coil
Garret Pro-Pointer
NCMD member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... -Qw/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A load of determination!

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm

cyprio42 wrote:Look at the Spinks coin auction December 17&18th. It amazes me what may come out on your next dig.
You never know. I do love what comes out at the auctions even if I do get a bit jealous. I think everyone in my area a couple of thousand years ago must have been peasents without two coins to rub together. Mind you I haven't got much myself so maybe there isn't really a big change :))

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

ringpullfinder

Post by ringpullfinder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Sportsman wrote:When i started this hobby i believed certain people always found hammered gold romans etc..Some do but i would deffo not believe everything you see ! ::g
with you Sportsman.

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Ace wrote:Excellent post samuraitrev.... ::g

This is representative of my experience since I started detecting about 14 months ago. Having said that I have found around 25 hammered coins from three relatively small fields ::g But most of the time finds are lead, modern junk and the occasional iron bits >:P >:P

To prove this my last five hunts are posted on You Tube at....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAt9oY ... RWeYbJX-Qw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will follow this thread with interest ::g

Ace :)
They sound like amazing fields! I would be on there as often as possible. I watched your first video I liked where you explained that you can go for ages and find nothing. I also liked when you checked the hole and there was a hammered coin in there as well as the junk. The Deus probably hit both signals that's why it sounded iffy. It just goes to show those iffy signals can be goodies. I laughed at about 14:50 when you were struggling in the mud (all over boots and spade) and some major heavy breathing was going on. "I think it's a musket ball" close to exaustion. (I've been there :)) ) Good videos I hope you get lots of views and I will try to watch your others when I have time.

I hope you will follow my exploits ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Return to “XP DEUS Metal Detector Forum”