Deus Digger Diary: 1850 GOLD ring + finds cache (see day 70)

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
samuraitrev

Re: Deus Digger Diary: Gold Ring Joy Turns to Sorrow (see da

Post by samuraitrev » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 pm

liamnolan wrote:Great detecting tale as usual and thanks for sharing your feelings, we have all been there! Re the less valuable ring that you found, it may not be the one that you had in mind but the person who lost that ring would maybe have regarded it as priceless. I love this topic, has all the spirit of detecting, I should make more reply posts. Out tomorrow detecting at 9.15am, same field where my buddy found a beautiful, almost mint condition Lizzie sixpence last time out, must be my turn tomorrow .. Liam OooO
Cheers Liam. Yes, you're probably right about the ring. I do wonder if the guy who lost it even realised it was a fake? :-/ By all means please comment. ::g ::g
Good luck tomorrow and happy digging!

Keep your hand steady for the filming on Sunday Ironman. I'm looking forward to a 4-0 score :))
Derbyshire based concealed junk removal operative.

Join me on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQsFW6z9s0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)
Hammered silvers x3 (see day 60 +62)
GOLD rings (see day 68 + 70)

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:59 pm

One of the most enjoyable threads on the MDF forum,always very well written with a terrific sense of humour ::g
Lurking.

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Mega B wrote:One of the most enjoyable threads on the MDF forum,always very well written with a terrific sense of humour ::g
Thanks for commenting Mega B
Awesome comment. Cheers ::g

Join me on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQsFW6z9s0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Hauptmann aD

Post by Hauptmann aD » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Gold plated wedding rings are not that rare. I have collected three of those too, 2 from field, one in water.
Best greetings from Germany
Hauptmann a.D.

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Hauptmann aD wrote:Gold plated wedding rings are not that rare. I have collected three of those too, 2 from field, one in water.
Best greetings from Germany
Hauptmann a.D.
Thanks for commenting Hauptmann ::g Yes, but they still disappoint! ;))

Good luck and happy digging!

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Re: Deus Digger Diary Day 65: Mystery Coins Turn to Stunners

Post by samuraitrev » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Here's the details:
Date of hunt: Sunday 26th of February
Ground: pasture (med mineralization, high iron contamination, low hot rocks)
Settings: GMP
Detector: XP Deus with 11" coil. (3.2 version)
Hunt Time: 8 hours.

Time for the Last Field
Hello and welcome to another installment of my Diary. Grab your spade, wrap up well and join me for another hunt in the beautiful hills of The Peak District. Well, we've had a great time at this permission and we're on the last field now. This field is really steep but full of interesting 'ridges' like ancient evidence of ploughing. Plus some large stone platform stones. No idea what was there. Time to find out. Straight away, I could tell this area was highly contaminated with iron. The Deus was buzzing like an angry wasp but it still hit the goodies. On my You Tube video which I hope you will watch later. I dig iron and a decent find both in the same hole. So the Deus had its work cut out but she performed admirably.

Premature Coil Death
I don't know what happened but even at the point of switching her on. The battery read only 1 bar of battery power. The battery light had been flashing at home, indicating a fully charged battery. NOOOOOO! Praise the detecting Gods I had my emergency charger and I was saved out in the field. It still cost me an hour of detecting time which was immensly disappointing but we've all been through trauma in our lives and this was right up there with when my pet budgie Toby flew out the kitchen door. Anyway I digress. With the coil charged with one bar I could continue my crusade. Interesting finds kept appearing such as 2 blackened and heavily encrusted coins that looked like they'd been in a fire. To be honest, I had no hope of saving them. However, as you will see, they turned out to be beauties. Plenty of coins, buttons and other bits and pieces kept me going. I found a huge coin which upon cleaning turned out to be a George III 3 Shilling Token. Something which I'd never seen before. Unfortunately it looked like it had been willfully defaced. What a shame to ruin what would have been a beautiful (and valuable) coin. I also found a contemporary forgery of a bullhead shilling. Plus a sweet little Jetton in awesome condition.

The Cleaning of the Blackened Mystery Coins
On the drive home, me and Ironman did the 'not had anything today' game. However, when I got home after soaking all my finds in olive oil I was intrigued to find that the blackened coins that had been fused together and unrecognisable started to clean up a bit. I had read somewhere that putting them in boiling water then iced water could clean them up. I would have used electrolysis if I'd got the kit but alas my weapon of choice was the forces of heat and cold. I realised they might get damaged in the process but they were so far gone I deemed it worth the enterprise. I kept dunking them in and washing them and would you believe it? It worked! I cleaned them further with Silver Dip. Then with a silver cleaning cloth and I got them as good as I could. If you watch my You Tube video you will see the coins on the first dig. I think they turned out ok, considering how far gone they looked in the video. Here's a look at what I found today:

Gratis Junk Removal Service
P2270002.JPG
Iron x11, modern x3, lead x20 copper alloys x2

Average bits
P2270003.JPG
Average finds
coins left to right George III 3 Shilling Token (willfully damaged?), George III contemporary forged bullhead shilling, George III half penny, Edward VII Penny (1906), George V Penny 1936, Farthing, 15 buttons, clay pipe bowl, x2 medieval lead tokens, buckle fragment, spoon, lead weight, modern coin spill.

Good Finds
P2270004.JPG
Good finds
Jetton 1586 - 1635 GOTTES GABEN SOL MAN LOB 'One should Praise God's Gifts'
George III Sixpence 1817
George III Shilling

Total Finds: 83

Ironman 1 DeusDigger 3
Winning Finds: 2 Hammies for Ironman congratulations that man!

The quest for the gold coin will continue.
See the hunt in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-dZTYV3cXk&t=25s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers all and happy hunting! I Hope you enjoyed the read and I hope you'll join us on the next dig. ::g

Comments always very welcome ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by samuraitrev on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Oxgirl36

Re: Deus Digger Diary: Mystery coins turn to stunners!(Day65

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Ironman won? Helped no doubt by your hour out ;) Lovely finds this week. On a normal week I'd have treated those lead tokens as good finds too; they are really nice!! What is that cross shaped tap like thing on the top row? Sure that is something interesting but can't remember what it is x;

Very good week, hope it continues :D
XP Deus

Spiker1968

Post by Spiker1968 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:56 am

Oxgirl36 wrote:Ironman won? Helped no doubt by your hour out ;) Lovely finds this week. On a normal week I'd have treated those lead tokens as good finds too; they are really nice!! What is that cross shaped tap like thing on the top row? Sure that is something interesting but can't remember what it is x;

Looks like Gas Lighting Valve!
::g

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:Ironman won? Helped no doubt by your hour out ;) Lovely finds this week. On a normal week I'd have treated those lead tokens as good finds too; they are really nice!! What is that cross shaped tap like thing on the top row? Sure that is something interesting but can't remember what it is x;

Yes, victory was his and well deserved. =D> Ironman is really into his lead tokens. I prefer buckles. It's weird what you're into!
Thanks for commenting and following our adventures. I know it's probably not history defining treasure or exotic locations but we have a great time and we're usually happy whatever turns up 8-} 8-} See you on the next dig!

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:10 pm

[quote="Spiker1968"][/quote]
Cheers Spiker, I think you're right with that ::g
Last edited by samuraitrev on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

DMee94

Post by DMee94 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:09 pm

A great read!

Thanks for keeping us updated with your finds!

I look forward to reading more!

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Spiker1968 wrote:

Knew it reminded me of something :))
XP Deus

Bully1970

Post by Bully1970 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 am

Nice finds Trev, I think I need to get me one of those emergency chargers. Type of thing that I would do. I might go out in a bit so am going to make sure the coil is showing charged, I did charge it yesterday!
Land - Deus
Beach - CS4PI

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:37 am

Great read as per usual Trev ::g

With regards to the coil charging (or not in your case) I constantly check the progress of all three units over the charge period. When the coil indicates it is charged I then look at the control box and headphones to ensure that they are charged too whilst still connected and the current flowing.

The best way would be to switch everything on at home and check the battery levels on all three units show a fully charged state. After all, this only takes 30 seconds ;) :D

I'll do a separate post on the Déus section of the forum ;)

Best
Paul

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:20 pm

Bully1970 wrote:Nice finds Trev, I think I need to get me one of those emergency chargers. Type of thing that I would do. I might go out in a bit so am going to make sure the coil is showing charged, I did charge it yesterday!
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, they're an absolute lifesaver when you're out in the sticks and the worst happens. I'm always going to take it from now on. ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

samuraitrev

Post by samuraitrev » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Fisher1266X wrote:Great read as per usual Trev ::g

With regards to the coil charging (or not in your case) I constantly check the progress of all three units over the charge period. When the coil indicates it is charged I then look at the control box and headphones to ensure that they are charged too whilst still connected and the current flowing.

The best way would be to switch everything on at home and check the battery levels on all three units show a fully charged state. After all, this only takes 30 seconds ;) :D

I'll do a separate post on the Déus section of the forum ;)

Best
Paul
I've answered on your thread. viewtopic.php?f=239&t=91642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Thanks for taking the time out to help ::g

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

spazzyken

Post by spazzyken » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi trev well another great read mate and what a good day we had,it was amazing how we were talking on the way there saying about having two hammereds in one day then I got two will have to try that again lol.YES I finally get a point 3-1 I'm hoping i get another this Sunday
Cheers ironman
Roman finds x4
milled silver x4
hammered x3

frogeye

Post by frogeye » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:21 pm

The Deus Diary just hit 33,001 views ::g ::g

Well done Trev on a top post ::g [:)

samuraitrev

Deus Digger Diary Day 66: 250 Yr Old and Still Looking Good

Post by samuraitrev » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Here's the details:
Date of hunt: Sunday 12th of March
Location: Derbyshire. (D____'s Dig 8 Field 2, garden and field 3).
Ground: pasture (med mineralization, high iron contamination, low hot rocks)
Settings: GMP
Detector: XP Deus with 11" coil. (3.2 version)
Hunt Time: 9 hours.

Finishing off This Permission (Field 2)
Hello and welcome to another installment of my Diary. Check your detector's charged, bring your spade and pin pointer and let's get out there and detect! Here we are in the beautiful hills of The Peak District. This will be my last hunt at this permission and I really wanted to finish in style by finding the landowner's wife's wedding ring that had been lost 20 years ago. I also had permission to look in the garden too. I like detecting in gardens as there's always loads of finds (as long as you're willing to put up with the trash such as foil).

We started the day with a full English breakfast and it was Ironman's shout (always tastes better when he pays) :)) I tried one of Ironman's 'sweets' which I think were actually made of fibreglass or something because it actually sliced my tongue which started bleeding. Who in their right mind has sweets that lacerate your tongue? It's funny how he never eats them....

I set my lines up in the 'ring loss' area and got to work determined to save the day. After a good 3-4 hour search I was forced to admit defeat. Ironman had covered the area and I did make a number of finds but alas no gold ring and no glory was to be had from this field.

Garden Search
This area, as expected, was absolutely full of signals. I decided to search it with Gary's HOT setting as that program excels in junky territory. I also didn't expect anything deep so I wasn't worried about the loss in depth. It was a small area but detecting there was very time consuming. Trying to winkle out the goodies from all the iron or digging up foil kept me busy. I managed to pull some great condition coins and the hopes were high for a silver but again the earth was holding onto its secrets so far.

Last Chance Saloon (Field 3)
After eating some dinner I felt rejuvenated and pressed on. Almost straight away I had a bright loud signal and I could tell that the signal was close to the surface. Using my pinpointer I lifted out a beautiful early George III Irish half penny 1766. I couldn't believe the condition! It was like it had been dropped yesterday and wonderfully preserved. The soil must be really good there as in the other fields the coins are absolutely toasted. Either blank discs or badly corroded. Ironman started cheering at one point so I thought he'd found something good. I was quite happy with how the hunt had gone but in retrospect I think I spent too long in the garden. Next week I will be in a new permission all being well. Time to check out there fruits of my labours...

Gratis Junk Removal Service
lowres123.jpg
Iron x13, modern x29, lead x7 copper alloys x19

Average bits
lowres123b.jpg
coins from left to right George V 1920 Penny, George VI Three Pence 1942, Elizabeth II 1965 Three Pence

Good Finds
lowres123c.jpg
George III Irish Half Penny 1766

Total Finds: 104

Ironman 2 DeusDigger 3

Winning Find Roman Brooch by Ironman
The quest for the gold coin will continue.

See the hunt in action here: (You Tube video will be up later tonight)
:The video had to be scrapped. I used a video camera but unfortunately it sucked for close ups ;;z

Cheers all and happy hunting! I Hope you enjoyed the read and I hope you'll join us on the next dig. ::g

Comments always very welcome ::g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by samuraitrev on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Join me on you tube

milled silver .925 x6
Roman find (see day 58)

Oxgirl36

Re: Deus Digger Diary: 250 Year old, still looks good (day 6

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm

That's a beautiful coin!! Did you stay on Gary's hot program?

Good luck in the continued quest for the gold coin... :))
XP Deus

Return to “XP DEUS Metal Detector Forum”