How to discriminate coke and still find hammereds? Deus Lite

Only for the discussion of the Deus Metal Detector.
Me and my boy

How to discriminate coke and still find hammereds? Deus Lite

Post by Me and my boy » Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Sorry don't know what section to put this in.

My new field I've got onto has just had a really deep ditch dug out and it looks great. ONE BIG PROBLEM. ITS FULL OF COKE

I've found a few hammys in the field and want to try this part but can't get past the Coke. I tried changing settings today but still couldn't detect it.

I use deus with deus fast, disc 2,full tones, freq 17. Vol 4. The retballstandard.

Many thanks in advance.

Spiker1968

Re: How do I discriminate coke and still find hammereds?

Post by Spiker1968 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Dig everything over 30, coke should be under and Hammies should be over. Its not full proof but if there is lots of coke the only other option is dig everything and put up with a lot of digging.
:D ::g

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 pm

I would end up with a hundred wright bag if I dig it all. It's everywhere. Every sweep gives 3-4 beeps 😶
I'm also on deus lite so sounds only

Spiker1968

Post by Spiker1968 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

If the coke is that bad set the disc at 30 and dig the good bleeps, you will lose depth but with that much coke about I doubt you would get anything at depth anyway.
::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun May 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Off topic replies removed, please remember to stay on topic!
Thanks
mrix

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:44 am

Ferret I was also going to suggest the XY screen would help but he is using a Deus Lite so no screen to look at.

Sorry MAMB but looks like either you discriminate out everything below 30 (as suggested previously) and risk missing some decent targets or you fork out another £500 for a controller :E
Unless anyone has any other suggestions?
XP Deus
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Mon May 15, 2017 8:40 am

As the ferret say the xy screen on V4 is very helpful on coke which I am using. I do find large deep coke can fool it a bit but overall a vast improvement on my fields. Good luck ::g just noticed you have no screen ...sorry rl; but goes to show how useful the screen can be.
XP Deus, SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon May 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Here in Cheshire coke comes in many forms.

Being conductive reacts with the coils magnetic field very similar to other metals.

Size shape and moisture content all affect what type of signal you get.

Often due to there odd shapes the sound from a left swing to a right is often different

Some will always be the same as good targets.

Biggest problem is due to the coke masking good targets. Been on a productive field in Scotland that the coke on the surface pretty much touch each other on the surface. (been used for a steam ploughing competitions) After a night of rain and a strong wind in the morning twenty people with all sorts of detectors couldn't find anything beyond the first few inches

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm

Cheers everyone. Going to finish the field then try the ditch. Will try disc 3 and put some hammered in and test the area to see if I can recognise a difference in the sound from the Coke. As I can't afford to get the control box

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Wed May 17, 2017 11:32 pm

My advice would be dont bother with numbers on the remote worst thing you can do , put the remote in your pocket and learn the tone for coke it has a zip to it you will learn it over time
and it will pay dividends
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 am

If your coke is coming up 25-30 numbers ... just glance at the screen and move to the next target..

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Thu May 18, 2017 6:42 am

Sorry I may have been misleading. I only have a deus lite no control box, so only work on sound anyway. Did try it for 10 mins the other night but there is just too much Coke.
As koala mentioned his field was used for steam ploughing matches. It made me think that someone's emptied their coal bucket out there.
Cheers for all the interesting helpful advise

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Me and my boy wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:42 am
Sorry I may have been misleading. I only have a deus lite no control box, so only work on sound anyway. Did try it for 10 mins the other night but there is just too much Coke.
As koala mentioned his field was used for steam ploughing matches. It made me think that someone's emptied their coal bucket out there.
Cheers for all the interesting helpful advise
Also ... everything used to go on the dung heap ... cinders and all, hence some fields get contaminated artificially. maybe its precisely because I have the control box... that the coke signals always catch me out, and I have to refer to said box.
I think its going to be a tough one, but there must be lite users who have cracked this one.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu May 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I run a GMP. So I rely on sound only. Many of my fields are coke contaminated as houses all had separate bread ovens (now long gone along with most of the houses)
As the coke tends to be smack where the best finds are I have had to get used to it and train my ears to tell the difference.
As someone else has said...there IS a difference....hard to describe in words but once you get your ear in you will be able to get it right most of the time.
Go very slowly. Very Slowly. On coke areas I hardly swing it at all just nudge the coil around like a doctor moves a stethoscope, That helps the machine recover from coke signals.It also means I am going over signals in different directions and that helps me sort the coke from the steadier coin signals. The difference is subtle you have to practice. I found gold in a coke area and thats a lot harder to pick out than silver.
My advice...dig some of the coke and take it home and practice with it in a test bed. That way you can both get your ear in and tweak things on the detector to get the best discrimination without losing the goodies.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Good advice from all directions and especially from LB. The machine sends the brain an enormous amount of information. Over time our brains discriminate between sounds that probably mean coke and others that probably mean a decent target. Yes there can be overlaps but as LB does, interrogate the signal from different directions and speeds as that adds more info to the brain and we then subconsciously get the urge to either walk on or start digging. As LB says, its hard to explain but be guided by your instincts/brain. I don't dig much coke these days as my tiny brain has got most of it sorted out .. most of the time, Liam :D
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm
Good advice from all directions and especially from LB. The machine sends the brain an enormous amount of information. Over time our brains discriminate between sounds that probably mean coke and others that probably mean a decent target. Yes there can be overlaps but as LB does, interrogate the signal from different directions and speeds as that adds more info to the brain and we then subconsciously get the urge to either walk on or start digging. As LB says, its hard to explain but be guided by your instincts/brain. I don't dig much coke these days as my tiny brain has got most of it sorted out .. most of the time, Liam :D
Its a funny one ... I can pick out a pound coin at 100 paces ... but those coakies still get me every now and again!!!

Me and my boy

Re: How to discriminate coke and still find hammereds? Deus Lite

Post by Me and my boy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Cheers oldartefact, littleboot and liam

Great advice, now just waiting for this rain( heavy persistent) to ease and work commitments to slow down and I'm out there.
I feel much more confident now, even without trying it all out. I'm still going to bury a cut quarter,half and penny to have a listen so I can sort out my pea sized brains sound recognition.

Many thanks and hope to be able to post a picture of my sucsess shortly.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 pm

We ALL still dig coke, but as experience kicks in and we start to take note of what the machine and brain is trying to say, then we dig a little less and less, but no hard fix as like iron, its size, shape and depth can fool us, good luck and thanks for making this good topic as I am sure many will have read through it and been helped, Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary European Council for Metal Detecting

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Just got back from trying the ditch and only managed two bits of lead between the Coke path 😩
So please tough as I did find this absuloutly beautiful Neolithic hand axe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Fri May 19, 2017 10:09 pm

That is an excellent find ..!!

Return to “XP DEUS Forum”